Cancer of the world (Split from “e-mobility devices banned from city buses in Erie Pennsylvania”)

Paul D

Nobel Prize winner John Clauser, gently reminding the world about that somewhat embarrassing Gore fella’s shortcomings on his ‘spessh-alised’ subject, and on the basic requirement to get back to basics as far as science is concerned. Hear, hear:

• Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 1:06 AM, Vanturion said:

Finland is still relatively ethnically homogeneous.

I remember reading something somewhere at some time that Finland has more ethnic and cultural diversity per kilometer than most other places in Europe, albeit with differences we Americans would not recognize as diversity. PS: I'm considering living in the Helsinki/Espoo/Vantaa environs for 6 months without a wheel, taking immediate effect - any local advice on neighborhoods good for small internationalist kids (and their parents) and tips on apartment hunting from afar appreciated.

On 7/20/2023 at 7:51 AM, Eucner said:

You freedom of transmitting deceases and killing peoples would violate other people's right to stay live in good health.

This is a tricky argument, as most would agree there has to be a cost-benefit-type analysis of individual freedom vs. collective good in any mandates, as both are obviously valued in liberal democracies.  The question is who do people trust to do that analysis.  I am not an anti-vaxxer, yet I don't agree to blackmailing infants and their parents to take, for example, a vaccine for Hepatitis B - almost exclusively spread via sexual contact and needles - in order for them to be able to attend school or daycare in New York, where, to the best of my knowledge, bloody sex and drug use are not prevalent.  Mandates like this, if anything, feed resentment and distrust of health authorities.

On 7/24/2023 at 12:04 AM, mrelwood said:

Are you saying that we should go back to having separate schools for boys and girls? I hope that's not what you meant. Going to the same classes is absolutely distracting to the education, but it's also a critical phase to learn how to interact with the opposite sex.

My kids have been homeschooled for the first few years. Without fail, every family and friend hearing our decision on this would repeat some sort of talking point about how important school is for socialization and how my kids would be deficient... in the end, this is proven every time to be total b.s. - the kids adapt quickly when put into school, and the only thing I can say for certain is that my kids of both sexes who are initially foreign to the industrialized school environment find the behavior of school boys to be disruptive, despite earnest attempts at discipline from the teachers.  This boy behavior might be a cultural American thing, but it sounds like many of them would be better off outside.

On 7/24/2023 at 12:04 AM, mrelwood said:

I have no idea how many are still reading this thread, but I'd imagine that they are not many.

Just found this thread.  Keep it going!

Edited by Foo Barstein
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/30/2023 at 10:11 PM, Foo Barstein said:

this is proven every time to be total b.s. - the kids adapt quickly when put into school

I’m sure they do, they were homeschooled only for a few years. They still get a lot of time to practice making friends, working in larger groups, and other interactions. As long as it happens at some point.

17 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

This song sums it up.

Funny, my father sent me that viral Rich Man North of Richmond song yesterday which relates. Wasn't there newer country song just the other day that upset the ideologues, "Try that in a small town"... something like that. Music's a great medium to summarize a sentiment and evoke feeling, but often lacking in the depth department when it comes to explaining complexity - not that that's bad.

Speaking of opining on the woke ideology, I found the following interview fantastically informative on the subject:

Perfectly explains the otherwise nonsensical woke ideology happening in the West and it's use as a tool or weapon by the elite against the middle (class), definitely worth the watch/listen.

Edited by Vanturion
  • Like 2