What one thing do you wish your electric unicycle came with?

on one

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

I haven't ridden any Inmotions since my V5F (which felt super solid/zippy which I just attributed to the size/diameter).

14” wheels are difficult to assess or compare, I guess since their acceleration is so instant that you don’t have much time to assess the pedal softness. 18/20” wheels give you much more time to assess how it feels since it accelerates much slower. I believe the added stability of a large diameter tire and a large wheel makes it even easier. And my weight surely helps as well.

I haven’t tried the V5F, but at least the V8F is pretty soft by modern standards. 16S with a 2.x firmware is a lot more solid.

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Just goes to show that unless you directly compare wheels you wouldn't know, and also demonstrates how 'acclimatised' one gets to a particular wheel!

Oh, absolutely!! When I got my 16S, I was absolutely certain that it tilts back when accelerating, because I was so used to the incredibly soft mode on my IPS Lhotz. I actually discussed it here back then, and even measured it with a leveler app… :roflmao: Which finally made me believe that it doesn’t tilt back.

And I rode for 2 years with an MSX that I thought was rock solid in hard mode, until I got the V11. I soon realized that the MSX has this rocking that kind of overcompensates during acceleration, so first it dips, then soon gets back to neutral or possibly even slightly over. I felt the same on a Nikola. Monster Pro though… It doesn’t move or even accelerate in the hard mode! Crazy wheel, and takes an eon to stop just from a running speed.

But since this is so subjective, I can’t say if the V11 in 100% Off-road mode is actually dead horizontal all the time, or if they have just developed an extremely natural feel to a slight acceleration dip. I feel very natural on the Commuter mode (at 50-70%), which is slightly softer even at 100%.

On the SherMax though, I was absolutely certain that it was in a soft mode, or at least medium, until the owner showed me that it was in hard mode. It wasn’t bad, by any means, and it aided with the acceleration a whole lot. It just didn’t feel like a  modern hard mode. It was more like a 2018 hard mode.

I used to think that the more the user can control the ride mode the better. But I’m not so sure anymore. Seems like most riders don’t care to learn about the different functions on Inmotions, and just max out everything because that’s what some YouTuber (who hasn’t examined them either) does. That’s why I’ve made a few videos to explain what the adjustments even do. I should actually make yet another to explain the latest Assist behaviors.

So I’m not sure how this future hyperspace wheel should approach the ride modes. Maybe it should have a GotWay mode, Begode mode, Veteran mode, and a few Inmotion modes, added with a slider to adjust the “acceleration effort”. :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Isn’t the V13 controller a fanless design though? If that doesn’t overheat, it definitely can be done for every EUC with proper design.

The v13 , like the v11 has a fan for the headlight. In theory when it turns on, it blows some air across the heat sync under the controller. However, It's probably hot air and i have not heard the fan come on at all unless the headlight is on. I have ridden in 90°f weather off road for several hours. So it seems like the fan is only for the headlight and not really doing a great job at that because it looks like the headlight is melting a hole in the shroud under it on mine and did as well on @Josiah's wheel. I can tell that the fan isn't on because it's unmistakably loud.

@Funkysaid" While riding weight means jack shit."

I am 190lbs and when i step on the v5f i have, i feel like i'm going to break it. At 280lbs i would think you are way over the weight limit of most EUC's and that would be a concern for me and that is what is hard for me to understand. Evidently, it's not a concern for you and it hasn't been a problem so i guess my concerns are unwarranted. Stupidly, i hadn't thought of carrying it up flights of stairs in an apartment building and i guess that would be a real problem with the v13.

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
condensed multiple responces after the fact.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Anyone remember that Simpsons episode where Homer was trusted by his brother to design his own car ?

lol, @Cerbera I was hoping to contract one or more of the manufacturers who are already in the game (inmotion, king song, ninebot) to produce my improvements, largely based on this thread. So they are still going to make money either way. I really like the Ninebot One Z10 model but it's missing the compartments and electronics for use as a personal power device. I don't think Ninebot really wants the liability involved with EUCs so they might do the manufacturing of my improved engineering. Finally Z10 is a mature product. My 2020 model is great.

That way we could choose what size tire we want, all the way up to 4.1 inches, lol. King song seems to have the best suspension so far. Inmotion has the best safety tek.

Edited by earthtwin
more plans

7 hours ago, Funky said:

Yes i'm 280lbs. And i have no need of big/fast/heavy wheels. Simply because i'm not riding with cars.. (We don't even ride with cars here.) And going on sidewalks at 40km/h speeds are plenty fast.

While riding weight means jack shit. It's when you are carrying to 3rd floor everyday and maybe 4 times a day sometimes. My sweet spot is anything under 65LBS. Anything heavier is automatically a shit/trash wheel to me.. Sure i would love to own Sherman-Max myself. But again - i have no need. I don't need super range, very fast EUC.. I need daily max 10km. Fun rides 40km. As for speeds i ride around 35-44km/h mostly. Sure i could start going faster and such.. But again - i have no need.

Range wise even 1554Wh is way, way more than i ever would need.

Everyone has their own needs.. And i never will need one of those big wheels. Simply because of what type of rider i am.

You are not alone. I liked my KS16X but the V11 tops it in how my body works not being 24years anymore. 

I think the Ford T-rex or what ever is called maybe makes sense in some port of USA but in Scandinavian or Mediterranean costal countryside town it is out of its element. 

And that is why wheels like V13/Challenger is a leap forward on some fronts it is not on my wish of wheel as it doesn't fit my wants or need at all. Due to this I growing to love my V11 even more. But service could have been so much easier with limited focus. 

BTW I am back to daily commuting so this is why I started to follow what might be next. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 9:16 PM, Mono said:

I never understood why so many people are fan of grip tape. In my experience it wears off quickly and performs terrible under poor conditions, precisely when I need it the most (rain, dirt).

I don't think they are. My wheel came with such plates - I looked at getting some with mtb type pedal pins, over Au$300. There are cheaper ones with pins cast into the pedals, but these look more much less effective that the grip tape.