3rd party replacement shocks for the V11 available

mrelwood

There are finally 3rd party shocks available for the V11. The manufacturer promises that the “problem of air leakage will be alleviated.” It doesn’t have a dampening feature, as neither did the original.

Announcement:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/6246019545495956/

Product:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005667143510.html

The price 116€ seems to be for a pair, which is a cheaper than original Inmotion shocks. Still way more expensive than the cheap Aliexpress shocks that nearly fit, but require non-reversible modding of the black suspension rails/brackets. Those shocks cost 20€ a piece. I did the mod and I’ve been quite happy with them for a decent time already. Here’s a link for them:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK8Qjwy

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

Looks more expensive to me.

image.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

nearly fit, but require non-reversible modding of the black suspension rails/brackets.

I like these better than the "new" ones because they have oil dampening and that is whet the v11 shocks needed badly. However why do i feel like the "modding"

involves drilling out larger the already thin walled mounts?

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I like these better than the "new" ones because they have oil dampening

If you’re going by the Aliexpress description, it is very misleading. They don’t have any kind of oil dampening. I think they just describe which parts it can replace.

I’m not aware of any kind of system that can bring the V11 a dampening function. If I did, I’d already have it on mine.

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

However why do i feel like the "modding" involves drilling out larger the already thin walled mounts?

Drilling out no, but sanding and chiseling yes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paradox said:

Looks more expensive to me.

image.png

I went to take a screenshot of how they show as 116€ for me:

IMG_4917.thumb.jpeg.81d332a7850980adca95c4252b79a882.jpeg

Then I realized that it defaults the selection to “test”. I chose “2 PCS” and…

IMG_4918.thumb.jpeg.4b81652e4b2d749f07c9dfa7e06ae0b3.jpeg

Ouch!! Damn they’re expensive!!

What a stupid dirty trick to make it look cheaper in the product listings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I went to take a screenshot of how they show as 116€ for me:

IMG_4917.thumb.jpeg.81d332a7850980adca95c4252b79a882.jpeg

Then I realized that it defaults the selection to “test”. I chose “2 PCS” and…

IMG_4918.thumb.jpeg.4b81652e4b2d749f07c9dfa7e06ae0b3.jpeg

Ouch!! Damn they’re expensive!!

What a stupid dirty trick to make it look cheaper in the product listings.

$160 is in dollars. 116 is in euros.

I also get the $160 for 2 shocks price...

3 hours ago, Drunkard said:

Are these the parts you had to modify, mrelwood? 

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804784836022.html

Yes. The threading at the bottom has a slightly different diameter, so they need to be sanded down. The threads in the shock need to be sanded as well. Then because of the larger cylinder diameter, the three ribs inside that black tail bracket need to be chiseled off.

3 hours ago, Drunkard said:

It would be cheaper to go for those off brand absorbers and the spare black part than to go for original or these new ones O_O 

It would, yes. Lot more labor though, and chances to mess it up.

Yea i'm not planning to do it myself, but just pointing out the absurdity of charging so much for the 'original ones'.

IM could have used the top of the shelf parts and got the cost down for everyone.. 

• Upvote 2

Hmmm but they are blue... 

As for selection g parts most want best quality until it comes to the check out and purchase button. 

What is difficult is to hit a competitive price point and yet have best quality as possible yet affordable. Things add up for every part and once the distribution food chain kicks in. 

• 4 months later...

It's been 6 weeks I installed them. Did about 900 km, including off-road (example: youtube video )

They perform as expected, with barely noticeable leaks even after 900 km (verified with a Rockshox pump). I recommend them.

Also, it's definitely easy to install them.

I guess that just like stock Inmotion ones, they require some lubrication (PTFE, not WD40) once in a while (say, every 1000-1500 km).

I don't like too much the large rubber o-ring (it should be metal).

Edited by avevo
fixed link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, d3nn1s said:

Hello @mrelwood! Have you tried these shocks? Do you have some feedback?

Not these ones, no. I do have a slight leak issue with one of my current ones. But since unlike the originals mine can be disassembled, so I have no doubt that I can just fix the issue by replacing the piston’s o-ring or sealing the bottom cap better. So there’s no reason for me to buy the new ones.

Edited by mrelwood

On 10/17/2023 at 11:41 AM, d3nn1s said:

@mrelwood could you please share the model of shocks you have? Or maybe you have some link?

They require extensive and irreversible mods on the V11. I do not recommend replacing the originals with any other than the colored ones.

I bought these: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805480828758.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.695ef19cNs3LBS&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

They seem to be way better quality than the stock ones and haven't leaked so far. It was easy to swap out.

Edited by Jonesq
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2023 at 9:27 PM, Jonesq said:

I bought these: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805480828758.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.695ef19cNs3LBS&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

They seem to be way better quality than the stock ones and haven't leaked so far. It was easy to swap out.

Are they the red ones ? When using the link it redirects me to a red model. 

Do they need to be sanded like the blue ones, or they can be directly mounted without any ajustement ? 

• Like 1

I changed my original inmotion black shocks into these red ones a month or so ago. Didn't have to sand or modify anything, easy to install. They feel good but there's a lot of snow so it's and riding is a bit different than in the summer so hard to compare.

• Thanks 1