Suspension Pedals (please help me engineer)

on one

I am going to fabricate some suspension pedals for my Ninebot Z10, but first I must design and engineer them. My apparent lack of suspension has been bothering me as of late, then it dawned on me, that the only part of any euc that really needs suspension is the pedals. I was thinking of ways to do this. If I raised the pedals by an inch and 1/2 I could insert a layer of memory foam (1-1/4 inch) and a thin plate of some kind of material yet to be decided (aluminum, plastic, sheet metal alloy) then cover it with grip tape. Please help me improve my idea. Thanks.

I think that's an amazing mod, it's the inspiration for my suspension pedal idea. For now, I just want to create the suspension pedal. Should I screw springs into my memory foam? What kinds of moldable material could I use for the new plate? One amazing benefit of my suspension pedal is that me, the rider can actually interact with the suspension with my own feet rather than to be forced to rely on a large housing containing a shock. I don't want to make this project overly expensive, but I plan on using masonite for now covered by grip-tape for my foot contact point. Now I have to save up $150 to fabricate this. I am totally open to suggestions right now, like what kind of springs should I use, I was thinking the telescoping kind.

Edited by earthtwin
more plans

• 2 weeks later...

Behold, suspension pedals! And I gained 2 inches of pedal space, yay! Foam sanding pads provide comfort suspension while wooden circles extend pedal length. Gorilla glue sticks provide adhesive. Simple, yet great increase in comfort and command authority. I can always add another layer of wooden circles and sanding pads if I need more suspension.

Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 6.27.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 6.27.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 6.27.38 PM.png

Edited by earthtwin

earthtwin,

this has probably been brought up to you from your euc riding friends,  but perhaps repeating it would be fine.  why not keep your current ride, and purchase an euc with suspension ?  this will give you a choice of eucs when you go riding every day !!!  to be suspended or not suspended !!!  can it get any better than that ?

• Like 1

Hello Friend,

Are you poo pooing my wonderful pedals? Don't be jealous of my amazingly massive 4.1 inch tubless tire! Ha, ha ha...

Seriously though, I spent all of my money on my Z10 and EUC forums are my EUC riding friends.

Edited by earthtwin
more

no, im not slagging your pedal revision, ... im just thinking its alot easier to have the 2nd wheel.  but since you pointed out all your dough went into the Z10,  then you are only left with altering the ride that you have.  best wishes for the riding season of 2023, and take care riding too !

• Like 1

Hope you have an awesome year too. I will probably buy a suspension EUC in like 5 years or so. I'm happy with my Z10, it's awesome! I am fine using it as a daily driver because I'm ambidextrous so I have tamed the wild tire.

Edited by earthtwin

For your safety I hope those stay on. That looks like it could lead to a serious injury if they pop off while riding or a bad pedal clip. Please ride safe. 🙏

• Like 1

I know, I could use a stronger adhesive but I don't want to make it too permanent yet. I wanted to extend my pedal length even more. So, in a way this is still a proto type, though much better than the stock pedals already. I would like to make them look better eventually. I'd like to add another layer of thin foam as well. I still might implement the spring idea inside of another layer of wood. Let's see how these special pedals mature. Eventually I will likely either drill through my stock pedals, or replace them all together with a shock mechanism that works within the pedal attachment elbow.

Edited by earthtwin
more

• 3 weeks later...

Suspension pedals phase 2

I'm adding another layer of foam and if I can find some springs at the home depot I might implement springs somehow on the bottom layer. I did a quick test with the addition of the yoga mat foam on another layer and it's a lot smoother coming down a curb or big bump.995915515_spphase2.png.6dbe531f0666589e20550efaf90a57fa.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

Suspension pedals phase 2

I'm adding another layer of foam and if I can find some springs at the home depot I might implement springs somehow on the bottom layer. I did a quick test with the addition of the yoga mat foam on another layer and it's a lot smoother coming down a curb or big bump.995915515_spphase2.png.6dbe531f0666589e20550efaf90a57fa.png

I got call from Victor Frankenstein. He want's his EUC back immediately.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

1711417246_successsp2.png.a6836e667e3ea80bcd7b94473cf003f3.pngSuccess! I'm like 4 inches higher than before.

O.M.G It's evolving!!! But for real.. Mr. Frankenstein is getting kind of pissed. He want's his wheel back right now!

Why didn't you use springs between 2 boards? Or one thicker sponge?

Also i like that pointy arrow in front. I will call you "shin attacker" from now on. All shins will be hurt while he's riding around. :)

Also.. 4 inches huh? :efef2e0fff:

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

lol, @FunkyI added a spring just for you.ssp1.png.9ca9de04227f8d20ffb8cff0ccd35a67.pngBut now I have to find a ways to sandwich in more yoga padding cause the wood is prying up. I will definitely have to drill this monstrosity down through the pedal when I'm done adapting it. It's very smooth and a lot torque-ier now. Way more fun to ride.

Edited by earthtwin
more info
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The spring just makes things worse. Here's where things sit for now.ssp2.png.8215d9b8d6010f017de56958ebcf2695.png

I need to make it look better and find a way to connect revision 3 to the bare pedal here:1416375688_bareZ10pedal.png.facdca532cf543d50eab4a2619fb326b.pngI definitely won't be going back to a standard pedal now that I know how to make these. The ride quality is a lot better, especially I notice the difference off road. If I had to estimate it's probable like 33% as good as real suspension, but I've never tried frame oriented suspension so I can't say for sure.

Edited by earthtwin
more info

I personally would not "screw" true pedals. You will weaken the structural strength.

At some point the "holes" may start to crack. And one wonderful day while riding on smooth road - the pedal falls off. 

Only screw the top plate part of the pedal. (If your pedals have that.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yep, that's what I need, for sure. Here's version 3, and wow, it doesn't even feel like the same wheel anymore. Having an XXL cushy pedal makes riding so fun. This morning I pried off the glue pedals I had made and went for a ride on just the standard Ninebot pedal and I was so miserable. So I went ahead and removed the tine pedal screws and went to Ace Hardware to buy some longer screws. I drilled 4 holes in my wooden pedals and mounted them with new longer screws and washers, and yay! I am having so much fun riding again!1307421797_version3.png.115d9ecacde6f2155d9536e6f6edb4cd.png