Big Wheels vs Little Wheels

2disbetter

I have an Inmotion V13. I love the thing. It is one of the nicest wheels I have had the pleasure to ride. The issue with it, is that it is so big that it really is kind of like a sporting event device. 

You could commute on it, but it is so big and heavy that it just isn't that practical. 

On the other hand the V12 HT that I had and is currently dead (driver board died, broken shoulder, etc.) was smaller, way more agile, and pretty darn practical. You could pick it up with one hand and carry it without a problem (YMMV). 

Thoughts? Are large wheels really not practical? Or is that hogwash? 

1 minute ago, 2disbetter said:

Are large wheels really not practical?

You’re right, they aren’t. But while that statement is very true for my personal use case, I do recognize that practicality is a very personal thing, and I know that there are riders whose practical constraints are very different from mine. For some reason though people haven’t been very keen on talking about the practicality aspects.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Previously I have been thinking that there wasn't much difference between the smaller and larger wheels in terms of where they can go. That is true on wide open shared cycle paths and out in the country, and I also take my large(ish) Master into all the shops I used to frequent with my smaller wheels, and no problems there so far either. But I do notice the difference more on narrower footpaths - pedestrians that would consider it fine to walk past me on smaller wheels, now tend to wait and defer to me where they can, even though the space is easily passable - they are intimidated by the height of the rider and the bulk of the machine. It is manageable, and just requires a few more thankings and grateful waves as you go along.

But last weekend I was out exploring some country trails, and having come down an exhaustingly steep and rutty 3 mile hill I found my only way forward / home blocked by a locked farmers gate ! In 5 short seconds it suddenly became all too clear what the difference between large and small wheels was !

Normally, the way is barred to vehicles but there is a pedestrian swing gate we can easily roll a wheel through. This one had a style, goddammit !

My original Airwheel was light enough to just be picked up and carried over such obstacles, the MS3 that followed it would usually pushed under these things, but there was no physical way that someone as light-built and pathetic as me was going to get a 45 KG wheel over that gate ! Well I definitely wasn't going all the way back up the hill again, so what followed was a 20 minute battle with an adjacent hedge, in which neither it, me or the wheel escaped some (superficial) damage ! Notes to self were made ! To Google I say, don't advertise stuff as being public cycleways if Farmers' are going to fucking lock them !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I ask the question: What are they use for or practical for? The answer is that each has its own practicality. Small wheels are good for short errands, convenient to carry and fun to do tricks with whereas large wheels are for long distance riding, speed, additional stability, some with suspension and rough, bumpy trail riding that small wheels can't do. Yes, large wheels are heavy. I think manufacturers should think about making them with locks since it is hard to carry them around so you can leave them locked up somewhere when you enter a restaurant, mall or go up some stairs to some place.

1 hour ago, Scubadragonsan said:

I think manufacturers should think about making them with locks since it is hard to carry them around so you can leave them locked up somewhere when you enter a restaurant, mall or go up some stairs to some place.

Yes! Please leave that 40-50kg, 3000-4000$ wheel locked somewhere.  I promise it will be there 1-2hrs later...:whistling:

If they gonna add something. They should add GPS tracker.

On topic. I would like to own one of the big wheels. But as i live in quit small city and most travel i ever need is ~5km. Anything bigger/heavier than my 18xl is simply to big. At which point it becomes just a burden to carry and log around. (If i didn't go for "fun" rides, but simply travel work/home, even then 18xl would be too big.) 

Sad that most 18" wheel have quit big battery.. And because i specially wanted an 18" wheel. My only option was 18xl. :D Otherwise i would have bought something cheaper/smaller. Doh i do love that it has 50km/h max speed. That also was a selling point for me. Smaller wheels are much slower.

Also only wheels i have seen are 14-16" around my area.. We simply have no need for big wheels around these parts.. But i see the need for big/fast wheels in different cities/countries.

I'm still waiting for something that has 18x3" tire, has 1200Wh battery, 3000W motor and goes ~55km/h speed. And is 25kg heavy. :D (One can day dream.. Maybe when solid-state batteries become a thing.)

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, 2disbetter said:

Thoughts? Are large wheels really not practical? Or is that hogwash? 

I think the answer is that, it depends. 

Before my Abrams, I rode a V12. 

My use case is primarily riding on pavement around town. 

I am perhaps a person who is a bit lighter and smaller than what is ideal to ride an Abrams. And my skill level isn't high enough to compensate for that with ease yet.

There are times when I can find my Abrams too tedious to ride. For example, when I stop riding my Abrams and go back riding my T3. I would not be able to ride my T3, initially. But after a bit, I would readjust, and everything becomes fine again. The problem arises when I go back to ride the Abrams. 

The Abrams is considered a wide wheel, nevermind comparing to a T3. Then the balancing is all different, and the increase in effort becomes noticeable again.This is especially true when stopping, or starting on steep slopes is required, or in tight confines of pedestrians and other PEV riders. The trolley handle on the Abrams isn't strong enough, so that's another bother.

I didn't mind before, as I put on more miles on the Abrams, things become easier. And I do like the refined premium feel, and Cadillac-like ride, at least when compared to my two other non-suspension wheels. 

However, now having ridden the Patton and the V13, I am eyeing one of two ways to upgrade.

The first is the Patton. This wheel weighs maybe not even ten pounds less than the Abrams, but while riding or pushing it around, the  Patton doesn't feel like a big heavy wheel. However, the Patton has a well built quality to it, rides very well, and doesn't seem to have any quirks that I noticed. I still need to figure put out it's safe top speed for me, and how planted it feels at higher speeds. But the Patton seem to have a lot to offer in a easy to manage package.

The second option is the V13. It even weighs heavier than the Abrams. But this wheel has so much to offer. I find this V13 easier to ride and manage than the Abrams, but feels even more premium and refined. It handles better than the Abrams too. And the V13 have a even higher top speed.  I suspect it would feel more planted too. And it has a good trolley handle. I believe the V13 is a real upgrade for the Abrams. 

Right, I am sitting on the fence regarding whether I need a big heavy wheel or not.

I don't think big heavy wheels are not practical. It definitely has a real purpose. For the right rider, it could be the best fit.

• Upvote 1

On 5/17/2023 at 3:52 PM, Cerbera said:

Previously I have been thinking that there wasn't much difference between the smaller and larger wheels in terms of where they can go. That is true on wide open shared cycle paths and out in the country, and I also take my large(ish) Master into all the shops I used to frequent with my smaller wheels, and no problems there so far either. But I do notice the difference more on narrower footpaths - pedestrians that would consider it fine to walk past me on smaller wheels, now tend to wait and defer to me where they can, even though the space is easily passable - they are intimidated by the height of the rider and the bulk of the machine. It is manageable, and just requires a few more thankings and grateful waves as you go along.

But last weekend I was out exploring some country trails, and having come down an exhaustingly steep and rutty 3 mile hill I found my only way forward / home blocked by a locked farmers gate ! In 5 short seconds it suddenly became all too clear what the difference between large and small wheels was !

Normally, the way is barred to vehicles but there is a pedestrian swing gate we can easily roll a wheel through. This one had a style, goddammit !

My original Airwheel was light enough to just be picked up and carried over such obstacles, the MS3 that followed it would usually pushed under these things, but there was no physical way that someone as light-built and pathetic as me was going to get a 45 KG wheel over that gate ! Well I definitely wasn't going all the way back up the hill again, so what followed was a 20 minute battle with an adjacent hedge, in which neither it, me or the wheel escaped some (superficial) damage ! Notes to self were made ! To Google I say, don't advertise stuff as being public cycleways if Farmers' are going to fucking lock them !

I am looking for my first EUC because of this problem with my ebike as it is 88lbs which is a nightmare to lift over a style even with both batteries removed. 

An EUC would solve this problem and make it easier to transport in a vehicle. 

And does anyone use the Varia radar system with EUCs as it’s the one gadget which I would now never ride without as it spots multiple vehicles before you would notice them and no need to keep turning your head around. 

• Like 1

Depends on what you want?

I'm happy with my 2 sub 50# wheels and not wanting to faster than 30mph.

I'm good.

If someone can make a 35mph sub 50# wheel, I might consider it. I don't want to lug around a 60-70# wheel though.