After a crash, regaining trust

2disbetter

One thing I am currently thinking about is that putting power pads on actually makes accidents worse. The reason for this is because they make your feet ALWAYS an anchor pivoting you down in the event of a cutout. This is because you can't just automatically get your feet out of them. 

I'm wondering if you have no pads on, and you have a cut out, you would just automatically come off the pedals, and would not have this automatic vector towards the ground. 

Does this makes sense, or am I wrong?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Your pads shouldn’t be fully locking you onto the pedals. The phrase “tight on the trails, loose on the streets” gets thrown around in the Toronto scene a fair bit. Most riders I know adjust their pads depending on what they’re doing. My dominant leg pad is slightly tighter than my non dominant leg pad for ease of starting and stopping. Using pads has absolutely stopped me from being bounced off of my wheel many times. IMO it’s much safer with pads for the control and unforeseen bounce off factor. But everyone is different as well as riding style. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My power pads (Grizzla) are tapered and I've never had a problem being ejected from my S22.

In contrast, my Clark v3 pads on my S18, I was ejected from the wheel and my shoes were still attached (yeah, I came out of the shoes) :roflmao:

Tapered pads are best...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah I had Grizzla pads on the V12 HT, my foot was able to get out, and that is why it was the first thing to touch the ground. The other thing that I like about pads is that they kind of take a lot of the impact in a crash and keep your wheel from getting as trashed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 2disbetter said:

One thing I am currently thinking about is that putting power pads on actually makes accidents worse. The reason for this is because they make your feet ALWAYS an anchor pivoting you down in the event of a cutout. This is because you can't just automatically get your feet out of them. 

I'm wondering if you have no pads on, and you have a cut out, you would just automatically come off the pedals, and would not have this automatic vector towards the ground. 

100% you are right. In winter riding on ice sometimes wheel slides sideways. You most time simply run out... Having power pads your feet are "locked" in. Meaning you can't so easily run out of fall. (Sure you can.. But having nothing in front of your legs are much better..)

Ofc if you are riding speeds - where you can run out of fall. :P  At higher speed your better of falling on your knees. Don't even try running. :D 

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, 2disbetter said:

One thing I am currently thinking about is that putting power pads on actually makes accidents worse.

With the pad designsI mostly see, I agree. That’s why I make my own. Commercial ones seem too thick/tall. I need to be able to effortlessly bend my knees beyond the pads anyway, so they need to be more shallow and…

52 minutes ago, level9 said:

My power pads (Grizzla) are tapered

This! I don’t think I’ve seen the same pads in our group rides, but tapered or slanted pads is definitely what I’ve been after as well.

1 hour ago, Hellkitten said:

Your pads shouldn’t be fully locking you onto the pedals.

Exactly!

10 minutes ago, Funky said:

Having power pads your feet are "locked" in.

No. Only if you set them that way. Which you shouldn’t.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 1

On 5/19/2023 at 6:08 PM, 2disbetter said:

I learned to ride without pads. Also since Inmotion wheels in general are fairly slim this means my ride style is kinda free floating wheel between my legs. 

I have had a euc bodybuard from roll.nz with some sorta padding tugged under it. But now I ride unpadded. 

This is a double edge sword. With pads you can potentially break hard but this comes at a cost in my opinion. This tends to lead to more aggressive riding and as a side effect more risk taking. Also at near to full charged battery it can cause a problem since the wheel cannot discharge the regenerate energy into the battery so that can cause a cut out effect. 

On the other hand pad helt to avoid wobbles as you interlock the wheel with your legs. 

I chose not to use pads so that I don't get tempted... I am after all just human still. And yes I do do silly stuff. Yet I try to limit it. 😁

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 3:55 PM, techyiam said:

47d2a54753f117c5f5c51f034c074538.jpg

And some complain that I gear up in a MC suit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 5:38 PM, 2disbetter said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I actually just picked up a suit of the badlands A3 as well. It was pricey but the reviews ARE VERY good. I also like that it is triple A rated. With how fast the wheels go, more protection is always better. 

It is annoying to me because the docs all said that if I would have been better protected that the break probably wouldn't have happened. As I go through physical rehab for my shoulder, it is a painful lesson that I'll never forget. 

So what colour did you get? 

New mc suit. Klim Badlands Pro A3 2023

If I recall right mine is called grey/petrol blue. 

What I do find from riding with now is it is very cold while venting it as riding but gets warm once I stand still. The air flow though vents is massive. Even with a backpack. 

10 hours ago, Unventor said:

So what colour did you get? 

I got the pants and jacket in 'Stealth Black'.

4101-001_Stealth%20Black_01.jpeg?resizeid=3&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

The inverse to what you are saying is that with me fully suited like this, I will feel more protexted, and therefore be more apt to go fast. Part of the reason I really like the V12 HT is because while it accelerates really fast, its top speed is not too high. Turns out crashing at 50 kph is more than enough to break things if you are unlucky or dont know how to crash. 

• Upvote 1