Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion

techyiam

Eevees also commented that the suspension on their v14 broke and that they're waiting on parts. It'll probably be a while before they put out a full review.

Taking into consideration that Marty's v14 also had problems, this first batch is not exactly trust-inspiring. I wanted to really like this wheel because it seems like doing maintenance would be easier due to its design. However, seems like first batch owners may be doing quite a bit of maintenance if these review units are a hint at what is to come. Marty did mention that his unit was definitely not a demo unit. Safe to say Eevee's unit is the same. Quite worrisome.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

Not sure on whats accurate but I was told from IM the other day that the two that went to Ewheels were demo units.

It would be in Inmotion's best interest to stick with, and follow through with this narrative.

And then correct the issues in production.

There is still an opportunity to correct this.

As long as the owners are happy and have good things to say about the V14, that's what counts.

Aside from Marty's hall sensor related issue, there are also complaints of suspension being too firm.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

If you were sending out specific demo models wouldn’t you test ride those for at least a few hundred miles before sending them out……….? 😑😑

Maybe, or maybe not.

If a manufacturer considers the demo wheels as part of the testing stage, they may just send out the units and wait for feedback.

However, one would think the domestic testing would have weeded out the obvious problems.

Bob Yan had domestic testing completed before commencing the international testing. 

23 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

If you were sending out specific demo models wouldn’t you test ride those for at least a few hundred miles before sending them out……….? 😑😑

I think yer would :) 

But who knows.

I would expect them to now be called demo wheels after any flaws were found

Maybe time for a name change to V16 eagle.

I think they will still deliver a nice wheel, that will stack up against other 16's 

Roll out may have flowed nicer. 

9 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

I think yer would :) 

But who knows.

I would expect them to now be called demo wheels after any flaws were found

With Bob Yan, there was a batch of wheels made for testing: which comprised of largely domestic testers, a few international testers, then the demo wheels, in that order.

For each stage, feedback was processed, issues resolved, then the testing moved on to the next stage.

So by its very natural, by the time the units are sent out as demo wheels, those wheels should have all the teething problems resolved, and thus, no additional special attention should be required for each of the demo wheels sent out. After all, that was the intent. Otherwise, the testing was not done thoroughly enough.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, techyiam said:

With Bob Yan, there were one batch of wheels made for testing: which comprised of largely domestic testers, a few international testers, then the demo wheels, in that order.

For each stage, feedback was process, issues resolved, then the testing moved on to the next stage.

So by its very natural, by the time the units are sent out as demo wheels, those wheels should have all the teething problems resolved, and thus, no additional special attention should be required for each of the demo wheels sent out. After all, that was the intent. Otherwise, the testing was not done thoroughly enough.

The times of BOB were good times  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

Not sure on whats accurate but I was told from IM the other day that the two that went to Ewheels were demo units.

It seems like stories aren't matching up. Inmotion says that they were demo wheels. In his V14 thread, Marty confirmed that his unit is not a demo unit and the choice to send it to him ewheels' decision. It was not up to Inmotion. If Inmotion didn't give the call, why would they have any say kind of unit was sent out? It's now past the expected launch date so it seems very likely that the wheels received by Marty and Eevees are just early batch wheels.

I do believe this wheel can be great down the line. Heck, maybe all these issues are just anomalies and the first batch will be without any significant issues. I think it would be wise to wait this out. Or at the very least, not buy the first and second batch wheels.

Edit: Ewheels now has the batch one in stock for $2999 instead of the anticipated $3299. I am shocked that they are even in stock.

image.thumb.png.a229667f4d9a6d1161d32ced349f3226.png

Edited by MandatoryFun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MandatoryFun said:

Marty confirmed that his unit is not a demo unit and the choice to send it to him ewheels' decision.

When Begode sent Liam (euc underground) demo wheels, it was up to Liam as to who the demo wheels were sent to.

1 hour ago, MandatoryFun said:

Ewheels now has the batch one in stock for $2999 instead of the anticipated $3299. I am shocked that they are even in stock.

Inmotion should follow through with their narrative, and ask Jason at ewheels not to send out any more V14's, IMO, if any were sent out to customers in the first place.

A repeat of Abrams or S22 won't do anyone any good. 

Edited by techyiam

4 hours ago, techyiam said:

Aside from Marty's hall sensor related issue, there are also complaints of suspension being too firm.

That might be correct. But when you look at what the main target user is set from Inmotion side it might not be the case. 

People that do stunt rides and hardcore off road would need a stoffer suspension. 

It is not positioned at a casual commuter EUC. That said it might benafit for a less stiff suspension if that is what some people would use it for. 

Now I have not tested the V14 so the above is just what understand how Inmotion is positioning the V14 in their product line-up. 

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

That might be correct. But when you look at what the main target user is set from Inmotion side it might not be the case. 

People that do stunt rides and hardcore off road would need a stoffer suspension. 

It is not positioned at a casual commuter EUC. That said it might benafit for a less stiff suspension if that is what some people would use it for. 

Now I have not tested the V14 so the above is just what understand how Inmotion is positioning the V14 in their product line-up. 

I have never seen a V14 in person yet.

I heard that the suspension was so stiff, that the people were speculating perhaps a suspension component was defective.

2 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Marty experienced with his demo Wheel.

Thanks for the update Jason, i will be waiting for the second batch as i am in no rush and already have 3 wheels. I am confident Inmotion will work out the bugs and ewheels will provide the exceptional service they always do.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

The e-scooter world frequently does this for early reviews as well. They send out untested demo scooters, the reviewers find problems, and the manufacturers fix the problems for their initial batch. There's conflicting info as to whether these were 1st batch wheels, or demo wheels. I'd hope demo, and that they fix the issues in the 1st batch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skunkmonkey said:

I'd hope demo, and that they fix the issues in the 1st batch.

It sounded like to me, from Jason's post, that batch 1 has already been shipped to the dealers and distributors.

This is still OK since the dealers / distributors can delay shipping to customers until new parts are available and swap in the good parts prior to shipping. Or ......

ewheels is going to ship out his batch 1 to DIY riders who are willing to do the repair work themselves, but at a discounted price.

I guess at least purchasers are informed of the issues, and can decide whether to pull the trigger now or wait for batch 2.

Too bad Inmotion did not wait for feedback from "demo" wheels before fixing issues then shipping out batch 1.

Now the people "left holding the bag" is pushed further down the chain, from manufacturer to distributors, and then finally from distributors to customers.

I thought the euc community was wanting to move away from this practice.

Perhaps the euc community is uniquely tolerant in this aspect?

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Yes, Inmotion is updating the mold on some of the stanchion parts, will provide precise details on what's being changed early next week. To set expectations, this is what was communicated for those interested in getting their batch 1 V14s before Christmas. 

Batch 1: feedback among the earlier reviewers is mostly encouraging, but there is a potential problem with the vertical stanchions getting stuck. Over the past few days I've been working with Inmotion on a remediation plan; they've got an updated mold for the stanchions in the works, expected to be completed in the next 3-4 weeks—those will be expressed out upon completion & sent out to batch 1 Customers. 
A new firmware update has been released to improve the resiliency of the motor/controller issue that Marty experienced with his demo Wheel.

With this information on hand, if you would like to proceed with the V14 batch 1 order, here is a link for the balance payment, with a $300 discount applied (for batch 1), $2,999 total, assuming you're alright with taking on the stanchion/slider replacements once they arrive—a video tutorial will be forthcoming.  

Batch 2: as for the later batch 2s—high-power 50S cells, black top panels & optional street tire—with these changes, this production has been pushed out by a month, updated ETA by the end of January.  

There's been some recent personnel changes at Inmotion, with a new CTO taking control, ensuring a greater emphasis in precision & quality standards are being met. 

please bring Bob Yan back

8 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:
 With this information on hand, if you would like to proceed with the V14 batch 1 order, here is a link for the balance payment, with a $300 discount applied (for batch 1), $2,999 total, assuming you're alright with taking on the stanchion/slider replacements once they arrive—a video tutorial will be forthcoming.  

Thanks Jason. Just like everyone else here, I greatly appreciate the transparency. It's certainly tempting at that price but I'm also eagerly awaiting the 50S batteries.

Also, the Patton is now a tempting alternative with the 50S cells option. I wasn't considering it before but it's certainly an option now. I think I'm just gonna wait for more info on the v14 before deciding between the two wheels. I think it's important to remember that this is Inmotion's first wheel with this kind of suspension. I was hoping they'd have learned from the other manufacturers to implement it without significant issues. I've gone from hopeful to a healthy level of skepticism.