Knowing the life span of an electrical unicycle that would lead us to....?

On 4/10/2023 at 11:17 PM, mrelwood said:

How many times have you tested this difference between 100% and 80% charging?

Hi mrelwood, we're travelling hence the late reply. Probably 6x for each (6 x 100%, 6 x for 80%). The 80 to 65% is like clockwork. I won't worry about it - I take solace in what you say :)

46 minutes ago, Uras said:

Probably 6x for each (6 x 100%, 6 x for 80%). The 80 to 65% is like clockwork.

That is definitely good data then! I asked because sometimes when people say “always”, they really mean “one time”… :lol:

The behavior is a bit surprising. I don’t know what would explain it.

• Upvote 1

On 3/31/2023 at 9:00 PM, drader said:

You can almost double the life of the battery by charging slow and not to 100%.

Last time I checked it was considerably more than doubling, IIRC :)

On 4/6/2023 at 8:43 PM, mhpr262 said:

What really matter is not letting the battery SIT for a long time when charged to 100%,

Agreed, in particular at higher temperatures.

On 4/6/2023 at 8:43 PM, mhpr262 said:

and if you dont charge the battery to 100% often then the more important it becomes to not discharge it fully each time you go for a ride, because li-ion cells HATE being deep discharged.

I have doubts that you can come even close to the true battery 0% charge state with any (somewhat modern) EUC by riding it.

8 hours ago, Mono said:

I have doubts that you can come even close to the true battery 0% charge state with any (somewhat modern) EUC by riding it.

… unless you always charge to 80% and never let the pack balance. That’s exactly what destroys unbalanced packs so soon and makes them a fire hazard, that the lowest cell groups get down below 2.5V.

The fastest I’ve read a pack fail of being unbalanced because of 80% charging is at 1300 miles.

But if the pack is fairly balanced, you’re right, it won’t let the cells go below 2.5V.

• Upvote 1

Well over 20.000 Km on my 18 XL. I changed the inner shell tvice and the trolley handle once. It is still running fine and I still get 70 km range from it's original 80. Usually I charge to 80 % but I make sure I charge it with the stock charger to 100 % every few charges.

10,000 km more are definitely possible, but unfortunately in Germany I have to be careful not to end up in prison for it. I've already been convicted twice, the next trial is coming up in two months and if I'm caught again there could be a prison sentence.

• Sad 3
  • Upvote 1

When the bms/wheel manufacturers implement the option to balance at 80% or X% then all this "always 100%" theory goes immediately out the window. It's just a matter of time.

For the time being, with most wheels, 100% is the safer route.

If you're DIY you have more options because you can see if your cells are going out of whack, long before any harm comes to them.

• Upvote 1