BMS update issue

Azitiz

Hi all,

I updated today the firmware from V2.21 to 2.27 via the kingsong app but when I try to check for update with the bms it says that I need to have a more recent than 2.25 (which is already the case).

I even went back to the 2.25 via eucworld to check if it would work but same message...

Any ideas ?

• Like 1

If I understand you correctly, you are now trying to update the BMS firmware but are being told that you need a newer version of the control firmware?

I would use the KingSong SoftTuner app to do the upgrades when in doubt. Have you tried that?

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If I understand you correctly, you are now trying to update the BMS firmware but are being told that you need a newer version of the control firmware?

I would use the KingSong SoftTuner app to do the upgrades when in doubt. Have you tried that?

Thank you Marty and no, I haven't tried and have to admit that I don't understand the how and where to find that "soft tuner"

u can find king song soft tuner in the apple app store. idk about android.

be sure to follow instructions about laying the wheel down and laying ur phone on the wheel.

i'm running 2.27 and 2.17 for the bms with no problems.

17 minutes ago, novazeus said:

u can find king song soft tuner in the apple app store. idk about android.

be sure to follow instructions about laying the wheel down and laying ur phone on the wheel.

i'm running 2.27 and 2.17 for the bms with no problems.

Great thanks 😊 

It seems to be working 🤞

• Like 2

Still running V2.03 right out of box. What's the point of "updating" the firmware - if you don't know what you are updating..

It would be great, if manufacturers told what has been changed and so on..

If wheel is running as it should - not worth updating. Most issues start, when people upgrade to "shitty/updated" firmware.

Edited by Funky

6 hours ago, Funky said:

Still running V2.03 right out of box. What's the point of "updating" the firmware - if you don't know what you are updating..

It would be great, if manufacturers told what has been changed and so on..

If wheel is running as it should - not worth updating. Most issues start, when people upgrade to "shitty/updated" firmware.

KingSong has been pushing out updates to the control and BMS firmware for a long time. The control firmware has added much more power from the stock configuration. And any improvements to the BMS is only a good thing in my mind.

And KingSong actually has decent release notes for the firmware versions. Don't confuse them with Begode :)

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Crab said:

Following…Btw my ewheels pro came with 2.26 installed, any reason I should upgrade to 2.27? Also it didn’t give me any option to upgrade the bms, wheel seems to run great as is tho.

You're probably alright with mainboard 2.26, they added tiltback back in with 2.27 (note: at least one rider feels it's far too sudden and possibly dangerous at speed—I will be testing it at safer speeds to see what it feels like but don't intend to hit tiltback at 43 mph), the torque boost came in 2.25. I'm still on BMS 2.15 (S22 amateur), the major change between 2.15 and 2.12 was they made it so the cells could balance at 100% charge. My cells are all still very well balanced, they came that way and have stayed that way thus far.

I got an error checking for BMS updates when I updated mainboard from 2.25 to 2.27... could be a great wall thing though.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

And KingSong actually has decent release notes for the firmware versions.

Well, 'decent' is debatable, but at least it says something (usually incomprehensible). My favorite is "better hand up".

Edited by Tawpie
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Funky said:

Where can you find those "notes"? I would love to see them.

They appear in the KS app when you choose a firmware to update to... they probably appear in EUCW as well but I stick to KS for updates (for the most part)

This is 2.27 (which and I agree with @Marty Backe is actually fairly useful). Note that 2.25 is combined into this release, supposedly 2.25 was "bugged" so they removed it. The "bat-1728wh" reference could mean some changes were made for the eWheels 40Ts, but I can't tell.

284125-CE-A2-E2-4-BB0-8-AE5-5-FC578-D408

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

They appear in the KS app when you choose a firmware to update to... they probably appear in EUCW as well but I stick to KS for updates (for the most part)

Yeah, but how safe is to update? (I know the process/how to.) But there isn't even small chance that wheel will go "bunkers". Or even while riding some problem suddenly appears, where the wheel shuts itself off, or anything else happening?

Especially going from V2.03 to "newest" one. What has been changed over the time anyways..? Because i'm so behind. :D 

I remember that V2.09 or maybe different version had problem, where wheel didn't turn OFF when going full speed (Free-Spin.)

God forbid going from V2.03 to newest one - bricks my wheel...

The SoftTuner app (ios only unfortunately) was much more flexible with letting me install the firmware versions I wanted and showing me all of the available ones including downgrades, I'm on 2.27 and 2.15 BMS and updated without problems.

I think the BMS stuff might be specific to the S22, I think previous wheels had less smart BMS and didn't have all the firmware revisions for it the S22 got.

Edited by chanman

4 minutes ago, Funky said:

Yeah, but how safe is to update?

According to @Seba, KS wheels are nearly impossible to brick. I purposely avoid using SoftTuner because it offers versions that don't appear on the KS app, SoftTuner is meant for techs not riders but does have its place, you can probably downgrade using it where downgrade is not always possible with the KS app.

I -always- lay the wheel on its side and sit there touching the screen every 10 seconds or so so the phone doesn't go to sleep. I've never had an issue. (my 16X is on 2.19, 2.16 was fine for a very long time.)

If something terrible does happen though, @Seba may be able to help.

6 minutes ago, Crab said:

@Tawpie, if you were in my shoes should I just stay at 2.26 and leave it alone? Thx

Yeah, I would stand pat on 2.26. The only reason I'd upgrade your wheel would be for the tiltback as a final protection against overspeed. If you're willing to pay attention to the audio alarms and set them appropriately, you'll have backed off before you would have gotten tiltback anyway. Firmware before 2.27 doesn't really tiltback at all.

In my particular case, 35 mph is absolutely flying and while I feel pretty comfortable at 35 on the S22, it is the speed at which I really do fear that my reaction time is insufficient. I generally cap my speed at 28 (triple beeps), largely because I'm allergic to rehab. And at my age what gets broke, stays broke. So 43 should never, ever happen.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Upvote 1

Oh I’m with you on that for sure, I’ve only done 26 by accident and have no desire to go over 30. I do however enjoy the 18-25 zone, unless the trail is full of people. I’ve noticed that at 18-25 you don’t have to worry as much getting passed by the speed demon cyclists! (at least on the centennial trail)

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

I -always- lay the wheel on its side and sit there touching the screen every 10 seconds or so so the phone doesn't go to sleep. I've never had an issue. (my 16X is on 2.19,

Quick setting change, so phone doesn't go to sleep may help.. :D Much better than pressing screen every 10 sec.

Question doh. Why do you lay it sideways? Can't you simply lay it against wall, or something? (If it doesn't fall over, when motor turns off.)

I don't really know. Is it worth upgrading? I mean i'm not really riding atm.. And if wheel goes dead on me. I can wait till it gets fixed. I'm mostly paranoid it will make me crash - because of "bugged" software.. Something may go very terribly wrong mid ride..

Edited by Funky

48 minutes ago, Funky said:

Why do you lay it sideways?

Partly because I read it somewhere... but a lot because "what if something goes wrong and it decides it wants to gogogogogogo?". Hopefully being on its side will prevent the motor from running and if it does, it's not going anywhere!

(ok, maybe it's superstition)

49 minutes ago, Funky said:

Something may go very terribly wrong mid ride..

That's why you wait... let others tread the dangerous walkway first.

44 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

That's why you wait... let others tread the dangerous walkway first.

:D While you "wait". And finally decide to upgrade.. KS says - nah buh.. Here's a newer version already waiting for you.

1/2 weeks after the "latest" update came out, should be safe enough to update i figure?

22 minutes ago, Funky said:

1/2 weeks after the "latest" update came out

could be worse, one manufacturer waits the 1/2 week and then releases their latest firmware. In a new wheel.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Haha 1