100-volt vs 134-volt Range Performance

Marty Backe

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The Commander Pro gets more distance for a given battery size than the Commander and that's at a higher average speed (17.12-mph vs 15.71-mph)

Could the difference be caused by the different tires one street one knobby?  Were they inflated to the  same  psi?

Edited by Paradox

1 hour ago, Paradox said:

Could the difference be caused by the different tires one street one knobby?  Were they inflated to the  same  psi?

The Commander Pro has a street tire vs the enduro tire on the Commander. I ride all my wheels at ~30-psi.

There are certainly a lot of uncontrolled variables between the two rides. I don't know the effects that the type of tire has on EUC range performance. Good question.

Maybe when I repeat this with the EX30 (enduro tire) this question can better be answered?

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't know the effects that the type of tire has on EUC range performance.

The type of tire has effects on range performance in cars and competitive cycling and it's likely to behave similarly in EUCs too. You don't see people in the Tour de France rocking knobby tires because it's less efficient for road use.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GHOSTTE said:

The type of tire has effects on range performance in cars and competitive cycling and it's likely to behave similarly in EUCs too. You don't see people in the Tour de France rocking knobby tires because it's less efficient for road use.

The question I can't answer is whether the tire effects dominate over the voltage differences. Again, when I repeat the ride with the EX30 maybe that ride will help answer the question.

There are so many variables we needed a funded lab facility to answer these questions with certainty :) 

• Like 2

On 2/11/2023 at 8:02 AM, Marty Backe said:

100-volt Commander:
After 67.44-miles the battery level was at 85.1-volts which equates to 40% battery 

134-volt Commander Pro:
After 69.45-miles the battery level was 109.9-volts which equates to 36% battery
The Commander Pro was ridden faster and longer.

When I calculate the miles/watts for both wheels I get:

• Commander: 0.025-miles/watt
  • Commander Pro: 0.026-miles/watt

I am confused. From the mileage and percentage numbers (assuming you started at 100% charge) I compute 0.0312 miles/Wh for the 100V and 0.0301 miles/Wh for the 134V wheel. That is, more miles for the 100V wheel (unsurprisingly, as it was run at lower speed).

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mono said:

I am confused. From the mileage and percentage numbers (assuming you started at 100% charge) I compute 0.0312 miles/Wh for the 100V and 0.0301 miles/Wh for the 134V wheel. That is, more miles for the 100V wheel (unsurprisingly, as it was run at lower speed).

I'm confused too :D

I've been trying to back out how I came up with my numbers and I think I was using a more convoluted approach :wacko: versus the simpler, straightforward approach that you used.

Of course your numbers are correct.

Both wheels will probably get the same approximate range given the same conditions.

Time to edit the post ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Just finished my first long ride on my Commander Pro and it was beeping at me, EUC World telling me I was at 0% and at 107v, and I was frantically trying to remember this post...did Marty say it was 106v final tiltback, or 96v??

Luckily I made it home, and now I'll remember that it's 96v final tiltback :D