Cerbera's Master V2.5 thread

Cool story. Thanks for taking the time.

57kg rider on a 37kg wheel is quite unusual. That thing must have an insane safety margin with you. If you can handle it well, and don't find it lacking nimbleness then it's a killer wheel choice.

Monitor the batteries yearly and you could potentially keep the wheel indefinitely.

• Like 1

Hmm.
What makes it v3 and not v2?
I got mine at the same time. Batch3 but Master v2. 

Anyway. Very nice listing upgrades and what makes it work for you. 

For myself I :

• Upgraded firmware to Freestylers, and that got rid of half of the wiggle forward back (that I thought was a slider problem)
  • Also put in small TPU rings from user EMA to keep the slider rings in place for less wiggle. Not doing much for me, but helped many others.
  • Made a side protection out of clear polycarbonate (much much stronger than acrylic). 
  • Added my own EUCzeroPads as powerpads. 
  • Made a back protection/handle and backlight all in one. Super strong red backlight now.
  • Rawnie designed bearing protection. I am testing them out, but one bearing bad already before mounting these. I did re-grease them as well, but probably little bit to late.
  • Lenghtened the metal mudguard by gluing on some yoga mat pieces and took away the plastic mud guard.
    Keeps the shock clean. Strange original design. 

Most important: Designed and printed a volume reducer for the stock shock, now almost never bottoming out even If I love jumping.

Next:

Got the new Begode linkage in the mail today. Mounting and testing this weekend. Hope it is better than the volume reducer. If not, I will redesign the volume reducer to another version that fits the new linkage movement.

New tire on its way. Shinko244. (I am used to the CSTc186, but why not test something different supposedly better)

Photos and videos on the upgrades on instagram user EUCzero: https://www.instagram.com/euczero/?hl=en

Edited by EUCzero
  • Like 1

With "bump stop" do you mean some foam under the controller box to prevent hard bottom out?
In that case yes. I have approx 2cm under there. Used to have 5 cm (and that was NOT enough ;) )before I made the volume reducer.
Now I keep 2cm just in case.

19 hours ago, EUCzero said:

Hmm.
What makes it v3 and not v2?

The new charge and 12v control boards ? Perhaps '2.5' is more accurate because true 'V3' Masters have yet another mainboard design, and back to the more / but smaller capacitors.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, alcatraz said:

57kg rider on a 37kg wheel is quite unusual. That thing must have an insane safety margin with you. If you can handle it well, and don't find it lacking nimbleness then it's a killer wheel choice.

Initially, it was very much 'diplomacy riding', in which I would make a suggestion to the Master about where we should go, and some time later, it might agree with me ! Early on, we would sometimes go somewhere else, or achieve a compromise path !

But as time has gone on, and my Grizzlas got here, and I've found 'the right' boots, full control has been asserted, and now I tend not to notice its heaviness so much while I am in motion, even when navigating quite complicated ride paths - control movements that used to be quite lean heavy have now become much more minimal to get the same effect, and I have adapted to its rather large inertia and momentum during stops and starts. Free mounting remains 'slightly dicey' in that I still get it wrong 1 time in 10, to my continued surprise ! However the narrowness of pavements in my local town centre, and the large size of the machine mean I often feel the need to dismount and trolley it round town if it is very busy. Even if it is nippy enough to manoeuvre around / amongst them, the public seem to lack confidence in that, and often act apprehensively around it if I am close in proximity to them, even if I am moving very very slowly. I think it's the height, and all the lights !

21 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Did you do the suspension upgrade that Marty did a video on?

I think I did see that video, or part of it. Is that the one where he worries that his suspension geometry is wobbly when uninflated ? I didn't worry about that because mine becomes rock solid when pumped up. I haven't changed out for the new linkages yet, but then I am not unhappy with the original suspension, which I still struggle to get to bottom out under any circumstances ! It doesn't lose air over time, and doesn't seem to degrade in performance so far, though occasionally I do get the odd throaty 'crnnk' noise from it on cold days on the kerb drops, and haven't managed to work out where that is coming from, being as it is very sporadic...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

• Cerbera changed the title to Cerbera's Master V2.5 thread
12 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Where'd you get the lasers? They look cool, got a link?

Yes the photos don't really do them justice :) They ARE cool. And yes link is here (amazon.uk but sure you'll find 'em where you are). You want the 2 set for the best value and effect. I should also warn you about some downsides before you buy them, now I have had enough time with them for those to become apparent...

1. USB seals on those are snug fitting and splash proof when properly seated, but they do come out quite easily, so you have to watch them if you are out in rain.
  2. Due to design oversight, buttons for laser and LED are at the same points on opposite sides of the units, making it difficult to only adjust 1 without also changing the mode of the other, especially with gloves ! 1 button out of the 4 has gone slightly temperamental already, only a month later.
  3. In order for lasers to be effective, their path to ground must not be blocked by stuff like pads / pedals on the wheel. I only get away with it because of the Grizzla handles I have at both ends, which place each one far out enough to cast the complete pattern on the ground.
  4. If you do get them, try and arrange things so that the bright red laser dot is shining at the tyre - then the front and back patterns will align. The mounting bands do have yaw adjustment, which is very helpful but not immediately apparent as it is very stiff.
  5. If you have both lights and lasers in permanent on mode, they last about 2 hours, not the 7 stated !! But they can both flash, for much longer times.

Generally they are 1 step above the sort of 'Chinese tat' lights you can get these days, and quite reasonably priced and I remain pleased with them overall. Consider yourself fore-warned- there will be a LOT more staring from people !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 11:34 AM, EUCzero said:

With "bump stop" do you mean some foam under the controller box to prevent hard bottom out?
In that case yes. I have approx 2cm under there. Used to have 5 cm (and that was NOT enough ;) )before I made the volume reducer.
Now I keep 2cm just in case.

No I mean the block of rubber that came with the wheel or is it too hard for this purpose?

5 minutes ago, Topkek said:

You guys keep saying foam though, I received a hard block of rubber.

You never said what you meant by 'bump stop'... so I don't think anyone here knows which bit you are talking about !

The only bits of rubber that came with my Master were the 2 square ones already attached to the kickstand, which I replaced with Rawnei's 3D printed part because they were rubbish / at the wrong angle.

Edited by Cerbera

Begode T4 comes with a bigger transparent/yellowish piece of rubber attached on the suspension rods (in addition to the black rubber rings), perhaps some Masters was shipped with this thing as well? This would be the "bump stop" but it belongs in the trash.

24 minutes ago, Topkek said:

This is what I received.  It’s not supposed to go there, just showing it for perspective.  I think it needs to be shaved down so doesn’t impact the travel.  

3C9DE536-6A34-440A-A91A-B09D4760813D.jpeg

Uhh, what on earth?

Interesting. You're the first and only person I have seen who got one of those with the wheel, @Topkek !

Could you grab us a pic of where it is meant to sit ?

Could the dealer have added that part do you think or this Begode's continued attempt to prevent bottoming out in whatever peculiar way they happen to think of the day they fall off the line !? :)

Edited by Cerbera

23 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Interesting. You're the first and only person I have seen who got one of those with the wheel, @Topkek !

Could you grab us a pic of where it is meant to sit ?

Could the dealer have added that part do you think or this Begode's continued attempt to prevent bottoming out in whatever peculiar way they happen to think of the day they fall off the line !? :)

I think it sits on silver plate behind motor wire albeit I haven’t been given any guidance on placement.  I’ve cut it down but not sure about fitting because I haven’t bottomed out.

It should sit where the "bottom out foam hack" is.

Mine is green, and made of yoga block. 1-2cm thick. Most recommend cut in a triangle "pyramid" for a more linear damping.

20230216_211403.jpg

Here is where I read that begode delivered this hack to some: 

Edited by EUCzero
  • Thanks 1