Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh

Mango

13 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Annoying Holes:

I don't know what it is with LeaperKim and their affinity for putting holes in dumb places, like the fender on the Sherman S and the plastic holder for the fenders on both the Sherman S and Patton, I can see no use for these holes and only allows mud and dirt to easily get into the suspension so I covered them up, same as I did on the Sherman S.

Before you say it's for dirt to get out please observe that they stop way above the bottom where dirt would instead pile up.

By all means the area around the suspension is still open and dirt can get in as well as out even if you cover these holes but oh boy I rather not have a bunch of gunk spray right into the suspension from the motor.

Before:

Holes.thumb.jpg.574ca4beb6eb7317e543fe1afaca79e8.jpg

This particular instance is just the reality of injection-molded parts, sadly. You have a two-part tool (mold), which comes together, plastic squirted in, cooled, then the mold split and the part released. Because of the undercuts that hold the motor cable, the holes are required for the back half of the mold to come through and mold the underside of the tabs. It is possible to make a feature like that without the holes, but it would make the tooling much more expensive as you instead need a third piece that slides left and right to fill the gap. I hope that makes sense.

This picture illustrates what I'm talking about:

molding-undercuts.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dycus said:

This particular instance is just the reality of injection-molded parts, sadly. You have a two-part tool (mold), which comes together, plastic squirted in, cooled, then the mold split and the part released. Because of the undercuts that hold the motor cable, the holes are required for the back half of the mold to come through and mold the underside of the tabs. It is possible to make a feature like that without the holes, but it would make the tooling much more expensive as you instead need a third piece that slides left and right to fill the gap. I hope that makes sense.

This picture illustrates what I'm talking about:

molding-undercuts.jpg

Hmm but it would be easy for them to glue some form fit rubber or some such onto there, oh well, tape will suffice. 😂

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

We are 4 Patton owners here locally now, one of the others also have a similar clonking sound so he will do the same thing as I did.

Fortunately you don't have to disassemble the whole wheel to fix this one thing, you just have to losen the lower bumper and kickstand and you can access that space when wheel is lying on the side.

that's a bonus. I've seen car and truck wheels that started out with one loose nut. All those videos of wheels flying through the air, it all starts with just one loose nut. By the time the wheel comes off all the studs are broken and the wheel is unusable.

50 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

@Rawnei  Can you use self tapping screws to solve this? and throughout the wheel.

I don't think that is a good idea for this application, helicoil if succesfull will create new stronger threads of same size

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/27/2023 at 6:22 PM, Rawnei said:

Hidden Problem fixed - Deadzone/Slop in the middle of motor

So prior to doing my service I noticed a slop/deadzone in the middle of my wheel, it was mostly noticeable when rocking the wheel by hand, other local Patton owners reports the same thing, it was a bit annoying but not super bad, well it turns out the problem is gone now after doing my service, it's possible that it's related to swapping motor screws (due to not all of them being super tight) but I can only speculate about that.

I put 280km in and I have the same deadzone problem. I am pretty sure it did not have a deadzone at the beginning. Gonna have to tear the whole thing down. Ah well it was gonna happen sooner or later.  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, unicycle bunny said:

Hey guys, what bolt size do we have on the Patton for the headlight? 

Worst case screw one out and measure. 😄

1 hour ago, unicycle bunny said:

i have nothing to measure it with...

Buy a digital caliper on amazon, it's not expensive and a very worthwhile investment!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/30/2023 at 5:02 PM, unicycle bunny said:

Hey guys, what bolt size do we have on the Patton for the headlight? 

I'm not sure the if these are the right size, they were a tiny bit tight, but my screws came out on like the third ride I did and replaced them with these. They've been working great for the last month though.

PXL_20230731_215559759.jpg

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Did some minor tweaks and workarounds on my Patton.

After my last disassembly I had some weird clank noises when going over strongly uneven terrain, like plastic hitting against plastic, after a lot of pondering the only thing I could think of that could make that sounds is the battery connectors that are right under the top cover, I wrapped some bubble wrap around them held in place by a rubber band and also made sure to align them as straight as possible and ta-da the noise is gone.

Cables01.thumb.jpg.58854ec3c8a60a025703525c87ffc315.jpg

A friend of mine did a full disassembly of his new Patton to see exactly how waterproof it is, to my surprise he found that there was no rubber gasket under the buttons on the display (the Sherman S has rubber gaskets as seen on the Ecodrift teardown), I don't know if this is by design or if it's a QC issue, but better safe than sorry I covered my display with some thin transparent book cover wrapping, not the most beautiful solution but it works.

Display01.thumb.jpg.a523594493f097b77788af25f5817052.jpg

Display02.thumb.jpg.52f01b33dcaea304dae6154fbd40688a.jpg

Display03.thumb.jpg.f844a9cd8febb9b0d531c3c2705d94c3.jpg

And my biggest waterproofing concern would be the chargeports since the rubber cover has a tendency to be a bit loose sometimes, I fixed that by putting some velcro in the area and then using a double sided Velcro strap that is easy to remove when you need to charge, this should hold the cover in place no matter what:

ChargePort01.thumb.jpg.0ff43ea7037a1b4503fe0646df65c31d.jpg

ChargePort02.thumb.jpg.791ac078d2f5eabe03c91d70f4db9176.jpg

Another idea I had for additional waterproofing of the batteries was to just install some thin tape around the gasket protecting the batteries, that would be an easy fix to make the gaskets even more waterproof but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

I was thinking of doing your velcro solution on the charge port cover as well.  Great minds think alike! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poker said:

Just 20 min ago I picked up my brand new Veteran Patton. It seems like its a bit redesigned since I ordered it, it is after all 70 days ago...

2017056790_IMG_20230811_113127704_HDR3.thumb.jpg.61cc867deee753aeb9dc9b3d1ebf9853.jpg

Lol wtf do I do now? God damn ali sellers

That's a heavy Patton.  Great range tho! 

In all seriousness, did you get that for the price of a Patton?  If so, you can probably make a little money on it if you sell it and order a Patton.  Sorry that happened though, I know it must be frustrating after waiting that long to get it.  Did you buy from an Ali store?

Yeah I payed for a Patton from an ali express seller. I guess its not that bad if I can sell it and buy a patton. Sadly eucs is a real niche thing here in Norway but its worth trying for sure. 

If only any store in Europe had the Patton in stock.

38 minutes ago, Poker said:

Yeah I payed for a Patton from an ali express seller. I guess its not that bad if I can sell it and buy a patton. Sadly eucs is a real niche thing here in Norway but its worth trying for sure. 

If only any store in Europe had the Patton in stock.

Have you contacted the Ali seller to see if they will make it right?  

1 hour ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Great range yes, but the Patton is only a few pounds lighter. You got a really good deal on a Sherman-S.

With mileage you can probably get used to the Sherman-S.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

In all seriousness, did you get that for the price of a Patton?  If so, you can probably make a little money on it if you sell it and order a Patton.  Sorry that happened though, I know it must be frustrating after waiting that long to get it.  Did you buy from an Ali store?

If your other wheel is a V11 I would keep the Sherman S, wonderful wheel and amazing upgrade from a V11.

• Like 2