Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh

Mango

1 hour ago, Al Alcatraz said:

I doubt that the V11 will stay relevant besides the Patton. However, I share your displeasure regarding the headlight. That's why I am looking for an aftermarket solution for it.

But for the time being I made a quick fix:

.IMG_2863.thumb.jpeg.633be7b0cd34a1570c1d21ba355931c9.jpeg

Regular headlight:

IMG_2685.thumb.jpeg.a6a932e8b78b01c2d8071153cd03e138.jpeg

After the quick fix:

IMG_2706.thumb.jpeg.c6736a23195bcdac63a09b3e776d7c32.jpeg

The illumination is far from good but at least I don't blind everyone.

IMG_2866.thumb.jpeg.e330b2f23e1ef8f737eda64f52f5ab71.jpeg

I don't think these solutions actually help with blinding because person in the distance can still see directly into the led, the only thing this is doing is cutting off the beam at the top but line of sight is still right into the led.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Al Alcatraz said:

I doubt that the V11 will stay relevant besides the Patton. However, I share your displeasure regarding the headlight. That's why I am looking for an aftermarket solution for it.

But for the time being I made a quick fix:

.IMG_2863.thumb.jpeg.633be7b0cd34a1570c1d21ba355931c9.jpeg

Regular headlight:

IMG_2685.thumb.jpeg.a6a932e8b78b01c2d8071153cd03e138.jpeg

After the quick fix:

IMG_2706.thumb.jpeg.c6736a23195bcdac63a09b3e776d7c32.jpeg

The illumination is far from good but at least I don't blind everyone.

IMG_2866.thumb.jpeg.e330b2f23e1ef8f737eda64f52f5ab71.jpeg

I was considering doing the same.  I like that you used reflective tape to mask it.  Nice work!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I don't think these solutions actually help with blinding because person in the distance can still see directly into the led, the only thing this is doing is cutting off the beam at the top but line of sight is still right into the led.

You're right that it doesn't solve the whole problem, but it does help some. The best designs have the LED pointing backwards toward a reflector that shapes the beam to throw almost no light above a horizon line, and also to avoid a blinding hotspot in the middle: even illumination of the road surface, wide. Many better bicycle lights these days meet this requirement (German Stzvo). Off-road DOES call for light thrown all around, so you can see the tree branch that's gonna smack you in the face....  I wish EUC makers would offer a choice of road or off-road lights just like they do tires. Or adopt a bike-standard mount or bay so users can readily swap lights from aftermarket choices.

When a bike or car goes up or downhill, the lights also automatically go up or down. But on a self-leveling EUC, lights are always straight ahead. This means that going downhill, even an Stzvo-compliant light is going to blind oncoming traffic and put little light on the road, while going uphill you get very little throw and a blinding brightness right up close on the road. Who can think of a solution that isn't too complex? How about pointing the light downward during braking (i.e., when you are going downhill) and up when you are accelerating (i.e. when you are going uphill)? But how?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

Something with a reservoir of a heavy media, the body of which is able to pivot freely at the side connections?

IMG_1358.jpeg

Would return to level as soon as the acceleration/deceleration stopped, even with miles left to go up or downhill, and be prone to wobbles without damping system. Solid-state optical beamforming keyed to current output power level? Not likely cost effective at small production volume, and still not as relevant as actually sensing the grade. Head-mounted headlamp maybe best, though I don't like idea of having to maintain a separate charge of device that can be misplaced (same with hand lamp), the weight of a battery on head sufficient for hours or high runtime, etc. Head mount lamps also tend to eliminate all shadows, removing important terrain cues. 

If you attach the headlight at the center of gravity on the right and left side you really won't need much force to regulate its pitch.

You could probably just use some cheap weak servo motors made for RC planes. The hard part is automating it

Street tire Patton owners let's hear from you!  How is the ChaoYang H626 treating you?  Tell us about the ride feel and handling characteristics!  

@Austin shared some feed back with me in telegram DMs.  He had good things to say.  Who else has some experiences to share?  

Mine is still a few days out...but I look forward to reporting back once it arrives.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Todd Fahrner said:

Just unboxed mine (62lb knobby). Exciting! Here's worthless first impressions, coming from V11: 

1. It's heavy and chunky, feels very solid. I knew to expect this, but the visceral reality hits. Just because it's nominally a 16" doesn't mean it's not a tank. I guess that's Veteran trademark/signature. Stairs are... wow. Knobby not bitey enough not to spin out on the treads if you try to walk it up: backwards by trolley handle comes close.
  2. The beeps for all button presses are absurdly loud, with no ready remedy apparent. eWheels (maybe?) included what looks like a replacement buzzer/beeper along with fuses. Not sure if the extra buzzer is same or different from OEM. Yes I want loud warning beeps but is there no "inside voice" for simple display toggles?
  3. Pads are shipping separately from eWheels. Without pads, my inner shins hurt from riding it carefully thrice around the block, hard metal corners. Definitely needs padding; shin contact point is higher than V11, so not used to any pressure there! Partly this was me adapting to the super wide body with unfamiliar ride feel and really not wanting to drop it with no pads. Flashbacks to learning on my first wheel. I know it will get better once I can relax. Can't say I was able to sense the extra performance; braking felt especially feeble and a bit wobbly. It was smooth enough, and definitely very nimble, unnervingly so for now. Knobby not too loud as I'd feared. I know I need to give it time, re-learn stuff. Definitely not a hop-on and jet experience for me, but something aspirational, a new challenge. 
  4. The user interface for the settings is um horrible. Like to turn on the light, you press the light button, right? No, that just beeps (AAUGH!) with nothing happening. Checked the QC sheet to see if light function tested: said yes. Huh. I don't know how I discovered it, but turns out you hold the light button and the "next" button 3 inches to the left at same time and it toggles on/off. It ships preset to tilt back and beep at ridiculous low speeds (like ~12mph), so I was forced to learn to change settings before riding. The printed manual is um also horrible: tried maybe 15min to make heads or tails of it. Thank you 2cells1pack: watched this Youtube several times, pausing and scrolling back often as necessary. I muddled through: 
  5. I'm still on board, know I can grow into liking this. But at this moment am appreciating the much more humane V11 interfaces, accessibility, lightness. Where's my spin kill button integrated into the handle? There isn't one: you have to turn the whole thing off, then back on again, with the beeps making anybody within 50 yards flinch. Twice.
  6. It does look cool, in a brutalist way. I guess the loud-ass beeps and opaque UI somehow match. This thing comes from a metal planet inhabited by metal beings.

There is no volume control in the App? Probably will need to install variable resistor on the speaker and the light...

Edited by bunny

1 hour ago, unicycle bunny said:

There is no volume control in the App? Probably will need to install variable resistor on the speaker and the light...

app is as barebones as it gets. light, strong/medium/soft mode, firmware update, monitoring. that's about it. i had to adjust max speed, pwm alarms, etc... on the patton itself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, unicycle bunny said:

IMG_2850.jpeg.5b9c80d943397a29cc9185f3d108963a.jpegincoming-DA852D6E-AC65-477E-8B33-D319275B51EC.jpeg.cbccd55fb76d212a306d8a4fc4d62012.jpeg

A variable resistor for the beeper might be the the way to go. But meanwhile I went for a super simple solution. 

IMG_2880.jpeg.e3c98ee006a26edcb2be72a0de758e50.jpegIMG_2881.jpeg.a0c30494c743f471e7bbb1765bab72a6.jpegIMG_2882.jpeg.85cd310c6821954604b11d27c0a7ad33.jpeg

🙄 I know how it looks.

incoming-AB7B766E-EAB1-4C66-85C6-76F43173F750.jpeg.81726cab6fde1e9eb2ea26ae76848b58.jpeg

But it ain't stupid if it works, right? 

As a bonus you get some added water resistance. 🤫😜

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

That beeper is not waterproof, if you waterproof it with some silicone and tape it's not as loud anymore 😅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I have wired a waterproof switch to the speaker. Works good. It's not monetary. Its press once off, press again on. So you have to remember to turn it on.

Also the light turns on fine for me with just pressing the light button. Not sure about needing to press two buttons that seems like something is wrong there

What's the model of the switch that you used and how did you install it?

Just recieved my new Patton from Ewheels this AM (woohoo!)  Is there a speed limiter for a set amount of miles like inmotion wheels? Im getting tiltback at very low speeds. I believe it is fully charged. The leaperkim apop shows tiltback at 12.4 but I dont see a way to change it?

https://imgur.com/a/NMJ5JPQ

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fanman said:

Just recieved my new Patton from Ewheels this AM (woohoo!)  Is there a speed limiter for a set amount of miles like inmotion wheels? Im getting tiltback at very low speeds. I believe it is fully charged. The leaperkim apop shows tiltback at 12.4 but I dont see a way to change it?

Congratulations on the new wheel! I tried one last night and it’s fantastic. I have a Sherman that limits your speed till you unlock it via the buttons around your screen. I assume the patton is the same. You don’t need to ride a certain amount of miles to unlock its speed. Hold down the button on the lower left side (I believe) till you can adjust the speed alarm and tiltback options. It is in the manual, but that thing is super difficult to understand. 

46 minutes ago, Fanman said:

Yup the manual is opaque. This helped: https://youtu.be/9yFZB6cOkBQ.  

12 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Sunday was beautiful weather and I was pleasantly surprised that my Patton was supposed to arrive early.  I was notified that it should arrive between 9:40am and 1:40pm.  

Well it didn't arrive until this morning.  And, as luck would have it, it will be storming this afternoon and raining tomorrow.  So, the wait continues. It will be a few days before I can contribute my experiences.

I am relieved that it has finally arrived though! 

I am on the east coast too. So its been crap weather as well. Haven't gotten to ride it quite as much as I would like! 

It will be worth the wait for you! Cant wait to see what you think

• Like 1