First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13

Josiah

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

I didn’t but I have a camera.  Any tips on how to shoot it?   It’s a hero 10.  Might need to be hands free for that type of riding.  

I carry the Insta360 Go (I have the Go2) with me everywhere. If you set it up right and wear the magnetic pendant whenever you go out, you can pop it on and be recording in a couple seconds. The newer version can probably record up to an hour or longer with the new housing - mine only lasts for about 30 minutes. The Go1 and 2 cameras are limited to 1080/1440P; the Go3 can do 2.7k. Besides the short battery life and recording time, it tends to always tilt to one side or the other when attached to the magnetic pendant, since it does not lock rotationally. It's stabilization is helpful but not the best, but the Go3 is supposedly better. The newest Go3 can be mounted like an action cam with its new action pod.

I also have the DJI Pocket 2 (again, there is a newer version), as well as an Insta360 X3. Of all three cameras, the DJI Pocket makes the best video since it has an attached gimble but is the least convenient to use (it is essentially a handheld); the Insta360 Go is the easiest and most convenient; and the Insta360 X[n] is the most forgiving and versatile and takes great 360 video during the day. I also have a low-quality action cam I never use. From what I have watched/read about GoPros prior to 11 is that they have high latency on the touchscreen and are a pain to use. I have also used a chest mount with an older iPhone but the oscillating pitch during stop-n-go city riding made the videos unusable. Maybe the newest phones would work better.

If you're riding outside where there is no risk of getting clotheslined by tree branches, utility cables, or wires, etc., I would put a go-pro or screw mount (using the mount's adhesive pad) on the top of your TSG. All you need to do is configure all the settings once and attach your camera with a quick-mount or screw mount to the helmet, turn it on, then put on your helmet. You can even run a backup battery to the camera from inside your backpack. One big advantage of the 360 camera on top of your helmet is that it will capture almost eveything. There is no need to worry about tilting, framing, lighting (during the day), or even light rain, since everything is done in post in 360 studio.

Oner major caveat to using an adhesive mount on your helmet - the best adhesive pads will probably never come off without damaging the shell. I damaged a TLD Stage helmet recently when attempting to remove and reuse a Cardo mount. :furious: You can't use chemicals - they will damage the finish and possibly the plastic; heat will warp the shell and allow it to stretch easily when a pull force is applied; and regular force will need to be excessive and will also distort the surface and finish, and may even tear the shell.

:efee8c29ce:

image.thumb.jpeg.43371fcbd5a800b4cc62dade6a150a99.jpeg

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

You have to have Inmotion do it, they can do it remotely. Reach out to Jason at ewheels where you bought it and he can set you up with them to do it. It will grant you access to "fancy mode". Just bear in mind it removes the top speed safety so it's possible to over lean it. I can tell you at 62 it is very stable and feels like it has plenty more but i usually wear a skate helmet and never really wore my leatt knee braces so i haven't really pushed it.

@Punxatawneyjoe and @Josiah - are you both running the stock tire on the v13 at those speeds? What tire pressure? They have come down a lot in price and seem to be a great bargain for a big wheel.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, litewave said:

great bargain for a big wheel.

It's an amazing wheel going down the road, 50+ creeps up fast. I got Batch 1 so i had a few Issues at first but 3k miles later i haven't even had to check the shock pressure. If you like keeping up with traffic, you will love the v13. Suspension is good as well don't believe the na sayers. Just has to be adjusted properly. Remove the grease and apply dry lube to the sliders and you are good to go. I also like how slim it is as well as seated riding is nice because you aren't sitting on the ground like other wheels.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Josiah said:

I think I would like a wheel that’s a little tiny bit faster and with more battery

Catching up with thread - you'd do well on any of the big wheels with your experience on the V13 - Shem L appears to have great ability + massive battery at comparable weight/size.

My experience with big heavy wheels would be the Sherm S, Monster Pro (non suspension), and ET Max - and I wouldn't recommend any of these over the V13.  Sherm S is a great wheel, but it's not fast like V13.  ET Max doesn't have any more range when ridden at high speeds.  Monster Pro is a relic without the suspension.  I don't have experience on the L, but I trust the people who have good things to say

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben Hatfield said:

I don't have experience on the L, but I trust the people who have good things to say

People have been reporting that that and the Lynx currently have a dipping problem when going up ramps/hills. Probably a software problem so maybe they can sort it out.

• Like 1

Night ride 12-2 am.

Taught someone to ride tonight.  He picked it up first try doing loops, left and right at 5-15 mph for eight minutes.    He had a dirt bike and his own helmet.  

Pointers I gave, promoted by his questions: 

1:    Feel free to drop it any time (it’s durable) but also it’s nice to catch the wheel.

2:    It’s easier to ride at fast than slow 10v5 mph.

3:   It feels like skiing regarding turning.  
4:    It’s self balanced front and back but not side to side.  

5:    Don’t worry about going to fast it’s hard to go fast on purpose.  

6:    Start on a pole or my shoulder.  

7:    He went off my shoulder and dropped it but caught it after three feet and then took off.

IMG_1910.jpeg.6ce7b3b555224d74e0e32af922ac9a6d.jpeg.  

Edited by Josiah
Edited for legal reasons/overshare remorse
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1