Early birthday present... let's go Tron style...

Yeah, that's a good point to make - the strips are flexible enough to make it round most of the curves, but not enough to make it over some of the ridges. I anticipate I will have that problem when I come to install mine on the ADX-2, which has a lot more creasing, and of course its modular, flip-up design means I can't place the strips where they are on the TSG with the ends running round to the chin section so mine will start on the cheeks, and run up high over the head more.

Edited by Cerbera

The hot glue held for a while until I was riding and falling a lot on a dirt track.  I went ahead and added more hot glue to touch it up and give it another go.  Might try some super glue or something else next time.  

2 hours ago, Josiah said:

The hot glue held for a while until I was riding and falling a lot on a dirt track.  I went ahead and added more hot glue to touch it up and give it another go.  Might try some super glue or something else next time.  

Yeah I hadn't really considered how that would do in multiple falls, but now you mention it is seems an obvious weak point - the control box juts out, the cables aren't so flush to the helmet, and as you point out, if there are loose bits you need to hold on with glue they are especially vulnerable. As far as glue goes, hot glue was a reasonable thing to try first, but I understand why it might not stick to the TSG's ultra smooth matte finish, and it would be very depressing to have to rough it up with sandpaper to get stuff to stick to it ! But I think, with vibration and frequent impact that may fail again and again. So maybe try silicone-ing it around the difficult bits, or maybe cut some thin double sided foam tape to shape instead, either of which should stop it vibrating off under riding loads, though they probably won't do much better retaining it in a crash...

TBH, once you spend that much tarting a helmet up I'd maybe look at spending 120 dollars more on an alternative open-face MX helmet you can wear instead of the Light-moded TSG, on the jump track where you take most of your falls ?

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

I love my Scorpion ADX-2, but my god it's hard to fit NightShift strips to a modular helmet, and this one particularly ! Here I am, trying to find literally any way at all to make this work :) As you can see, I have had to abandon any lofty plans I may have had about centreline symmetry, and I definitely can't follow the same pattern as I had on the TSG.

I am trying things with masking tape until I find a workable solution. Not sure this is it, but is one of the few possibilities. Control box would have to be mounted to one side in this configuration, which isn't ideal, but if I eventually get a coms control on the other side it might not look too 'Heath Robinson'...

image.thumb.png.447796861a56c1a46a2416a8b17a86fa.png

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 7:01 PM, Cerbera said:

No, it's fully worth the 200 (to me at least), and nothing else made matches it.

226 expensive micro-LEDs (much smaller and sharper / brighter than last generation light strip ones everyone else is still using), a rather unique and well-researched and 'holotype for purpose' ultra-thin and flexi diffusion material, and at least 3 x brighter than any other light strip I have ever seen.

By the time we add the beautiful app and its 22 brilliant animations (that cover every type of pattern, speed and warning you could possibly want), the audio syncing, real-time bluetooth control, the ability to make any part of the strips glow and animate any RGB colour, (and more than one of them at once, unlike all the competition, which usually can't even animate other than flashing) are all things that other products struggle to match. When we add in well-thought-out button functionality and ridiculously good build quality, all the included spares, and prep stuff, that makes this worth so much more than 50 quid. Even the packaging will have cost them more than a tenner - it's ipad level !

The difference between this and xmas tree lights is the difference between 'undisputably cool / filmic' and 'tacky-as-hell and cheap-looking' ;) You can either go round looking like you have stepped out of Tron, or like you are Arnie in that dreadful Mr freeze costume !! Personally I am aiming for 100% option A. :D

Maybe a remote controlled dayglo lit bubble producer like Iceejay’s would make some magic for the kids - unless they think ‘Hey mum - Tron’s just trumped!’, lols!

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2023 at 8:28 PM, Josiah said:

I live in a rural area but not too far from a downtown one so it will be funny passing the cows in the countryside at night and people thinking there’s an alien abduction occurring.

Don’t forget to pack a cucumber for when you stick it through the letterbox and shout “Look out - the Martians are coming!” (Okay, you possibly don’t have letterboxes over there, but they’re a ‘thing’ in Blighty!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freeforester said:

Maybe a remote controlled dayglo lit bubble producer like Iceejay’s would make some magic for the kids - unless they think ‘Hey mum - Tron’s just trumped!’, lols!

No no, that's far too nice. What I want is 'electric mist' I can deploy at pursuing dogs ! Possibly also 'regular mist' so my lasers show up, and I can appear through it, Darth Vader style as I arrive at town planning meetings / funerals / museums etc...

Later on I'd like the ability to rise through the air, Christ-like and slowly spinning, issuing lightning from my fingers, but one step at a time...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

Dry ice may be your friend!

Edit: I’m guessing the weatherman will be predicting ‘patchy mist’ in parts of Hampshire by the coming weekend, lols! Lmk if you need a wee 6-12v computer fan 👍🏻 - I think this can be miniaturised, lol. Edit 2 - don’t forget to get a pair of sparkly trainers like the kid here!! 🤣👍🏻

Edited by Freeforester
  • Like 1

I had to add more wire to extend my lights on my modular helmet...sadly the battery is sooooo small that I need to charge the damn thing before every ride, or time I want to use them, it self discharges, too.... BUT NIGHT SHIFT IS SICK... 

PXL_20230326_165830018.jpg

Edited by MetricUSA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MetricUSA said:

I had to add more wire to extend my lights on my modular helmet... 

Oh you ran the lights on to the flip top ! Excellent work, sadly not doable with mine ! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

@Cerbera

How good is the Yamaha digital piano?  What model is it?  Are the weighted keys close enough in feel to a real piano?

Thanks.

That is a veteran / old-school Yamaha P60 that has lasted an astonishing 25 years, including being regularly gigged for 10 of those ! It is only just beginning to die now with a few key sensors dropping out, but honestly - it's the most robust and durable home-use full-scale weighted piano I have ever owned, and I absolutely LOVE the feel of it, which is why I don't replace it after all this time. It was £350 when I bought it, and its equivalent now (P-45) is about the same sort of price and quality.

It is a testament to the feel and sound of that piano that it is still my main playing instrument at home, even when there is a Yamaha S90XS pro stage piano costing roughly ten times as much sitting in its flightcase next door ! That ALSO feels amazing btw...for me Yamaha are the kings of feel all round - firmer and with nicer springback characteristics than Roland or Nord for example. The keys are also very ergonomically rounded meaning you never get caught on corners, or edges whilst performing even the most flamboyant of keyboard shenanigans ! Roland weighted keys (on the whole) are grippier, and resist sweaty fingers better, but are less slideable and feel 'grainier'. Yammy keys are ultra smooth, and reassuringly heavily weighted so you can really lean into them.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

….Rick Wakeman just took a back seat….

Yes my mum thinks I do all the things I do with lights and wheels because I am not on stage any more !! She may be right... so far I have been able to resist the cloak !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cerbera said:

It is a testament to the feel and sound of that piano that it is still my main playing instrument at home

Was going to ask about the sheet music.  
so you have many talents!  Nice!  I think the setup on the scorpion looks good wish you could wrap it on the normal  way though.  

8 hours ago, Cerbera said:

image.thumb.png.447796861a56c1a46a2416a8b17a86fa.png

Any way around that?  To get them on each side?

• Like 1