Early birthday present... let's go Tron style...

May have just completed my mid-life crisis by ordering one of these for the TSG Pass Pro...

https://lightmodehelmets.com/products/night-shift

I could go on about safety and night-time visibility etc, but I know I'm getting it cos it's properly MFBA. Any one else here got one ?

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

Took a couple of weeks to arrive, but has done now, and very pleased :) 

Looks very very bright, and equally cool. And I escaped the import duty from US so that was nice !

The strips are very thin but still quite stiff plastic, and we are warned about not creasing them, which means they struggle just a little where the curves on the TSG Pass are at their tightest, round the front, but they haven't come unstuck so far, and they look very smart, even when powered off. Particularly nice move of them to put a button on the back that lets you change the colour or whatever is the current pattern without having to go to your phone. This button is also the power button, and the phone pairing button. Nice simple control and positive press action - feels high quality.

As I would expect for $250 (delivered) it's a very high quality kit, which is reflected in the box and packaging, the accessories / spares provided and positive feel of connectors. If I had a criticism it would only be that the wiring from the strips to the controller is maybe a little on the thin side, but on the TSG there is a back rim to hold goggles so if you mount the controller low they get some protection from that, and shouldn't encounter much stress from general handling and riding.

Haven't had this out in public yet, but will do a series of day and night rides, and see how we get on, and whether we attract the right or wrong sort of attention !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

I'm not gorilla taping my lovely helm !

I know I said they were a bit thin above, but I really don't think they need additional help - they are so short, and it's a nice tight connection into the controller box. And personally I don't mind having a couple of cables looping a little near the back - sort of enhances the tech look anyway.

Found a couple of new modes - the ones that are sound reactive are particularly cool, and give a nice visual confirmation of when you are speaking.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

Maybe attach a few onto a reflective vest, backpack, jacket etc.... as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Motorcycle-Night-Riding-Bicycle/dp/B089LX9JWT/ref=asc_df_B08FSZS6ZM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=632124669053&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1166664250181079916&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030938&hvtargid=pla-1109511117784&th=1

Motorcycle Helmet Light, Night Riding Driving EL Light Strips, 3 ModeLED Signal Helmet Light Strip Decoration for Motorcycle Ebike Scooter Blue

$19.99

61mgyUBfRYL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

61sHHWnh7NL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

71vy8NgxtZL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

71Bsx4xyKVL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

7d00eb79-6135-4c86-b782-727a17113914.__C

3M.png

Edited by Paul A
  • Like 2

Yes it would be good to have multiples of these things, if you can stand the setup / cabling !

But we should be aware that there is a world of difference between Lightmode, and these cheap Chinese copies, which are about a third of the brightness. Yes, they are a lot cheaper, but they are considerably shitter when it comes to clean diffusion, don't change colour, and don't animate on the whole, nor are they controlled by a beautiful app ! LM comes with genuine 3M tape as opposed to the ubiquitous fake stuff, several alcohol wipes and spare pads and they actually are waterproof, where the Chinese ones claim to be but often aren't.

Also, whereas the LM cables are precisely the correct length for neat installation without any extensions or splitters, the Chinese ones give you a horrible rats nest of splits and extensions, and look consequently messy when installed, as you have to bundle their too long cable and tape it to the helmet, or even run cables down to the controller in a pocket !

The LM one, on the other hand, comes with a foam sticky mount for its controller, which is curved to match the helmet, and the controller itself is detachable via a clip for charging, so you don't have to take the whole helmet to the charger ! In fact that's the other thing to watch out for - a lot of the Chinese copies are battery powered, rather than USB rechargeable. It is also lighter and smaller and more ergonomic than the copies, and doesn't weigh down the back of your helmet like consumer battery-powered 'rectangle brick' ones can.

The downside of all this of course is that I am unwilling to buy more than 1 set of the LightModes - $250 is enough already a bit much to be spending on pretty lights (even though they are the prettiest / coolest of ALL the lights), and I ain't doin' it twice !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It has been quite tempting, when people ask about the lights to pretend they are some sort of mad sci-fi tech, and see what I can get away with :)

'Yes that's my neural brain link with the wheel' is my favourite so far.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

Just got back from a town / country park ride in the dusk / dark on a Saturday evening, and the love just keeps on comin' for the lasers and the LightMode Tron helmet. The wheel gives you cool factor, but the LightMode / TSG combo takes the attention up to fan-club / convention levels. Today there was even a girl who felt compelled to come up and talk to me, and that almost never happens !! Certainly a conversation starter - I've never talked to so many people whilst out and about !

Now what I really need is a TSG visor that is clear (ie not darkened) or photo-chromic, but always Chrome or Burnt Viridium from the outside. Anybody know if they are available third party anywhere ? I know TSG themselves don't do 'em.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well people do like shiny/pretty things. :D Moths to light fixture comes to mind. I for sure would not pay 200$ for something that's worth max ~50$.

Jeez.. Just buy some christmas lights and put them all around yourself. (Find the USB powered ones. So EUC can power them.) If one likes to do modding, etc - you could make whole EUC like one big lightbulb. Everyone will notice you. Even miles away. :D 

If i was riding in dark, i for sure would have bought some USB powered lightstrips. Or even made, diy something. And have put around my wheel. :D Coming off USB power, or from original lights.

Very cool effect would be - from bigger leds, who are much, much brighter. Put few of them under pedal "L" hangers. Whole ground around EUC would be going crazy. :D Same as car underlights.

Anything that's not regular, or is in some way funny - is a conversation starter.  If you like attention, here's some freebies: Very big googly eyes on side of EUC. Devil horns on helmet. Big red nose in front of EUC. :D

Spoiler

Nikola 100V Plus: this simple mod is guaranteed to put more eyes on your  wheel 👀 - Mods, Repairs, & DIY - Electric Unicycle Forum (euc community)Future LED light emitting props horn helmet WL-134giftsbite-store-red-ox-horn-hellboy-ii-l3D file Motorcycle Helmet Devil Horn・3D print object to download・Cults

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

I for sure would not pay 200$ for something that's worth max ~50$.

No, it's fully worth the 200 (to me at least), and nothing else made matches it.

226 expensive micro-LEDs (much smaller and sharper / brighter than last generation light strip ones everyone else is still using), a rather unique and well-researched and 'holotype for purpose' ultra-thin and flexi diffusion material, and at least 3 x brighter than any other light strip I have ever seen.

By the time we add the beautiful app and its 22 brilliant animations (that cover every type of pattern, speed and warning you could possibly want), the audio syncing, real-time bluetooth control, the ability to make any part of the strips glow and animate any RGB colour, (and more than one of them at once, unlike all the competition, which usually can't even animate other than flashing) are all things that other products struggle to match. When we add in well-thought-out button functionality and ridiculously good build quality, all the included spares, and prep stuff, that makes this worth so much more than 50 quid. Even the packaging will have cost them more than a tenner - it's ipad level !

The difference between this and xmas tree lights is the difference between 'undisputably cool / filmic' and 'tacky-as-hell and cheap-looking' ;) You can either go round looking like you have stepped out of Tron, or like you are Arnie in that dreadful Mr freeze costume !! Personally I am aiming for 100% option A. :D

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

226 LEDs, a rather unique and well-researched and 'holotype for purpose' ultra-thin and flexi diffusion material, and at least 3 x brighter than any other light strip I have ever seen.

By the time we add the beautiful app and its 22 brilliant animations (that cover every type of pattern, speed and warning you could possibly want), the audio syncing, real-time bluetooth control, the ability to make any part of the strips glow and animate any RGB colour, (and more than one of them at once, unlike all the competition, which usually can't even animate other than flashing) are all things that other products struggle to match. When we add in well-thought-out button functionality and ridiculously good build quality, all the included spares, and prep stuff, that makes this worth so much more than 50 quid. Even the packaging will have cost them more than a tenner - it's ipad level !

Sorry i will have to close the door. I don't need anything the seller is trying to sell me right now. :D

While reading - i imagined a sales person at door saying those things. Props for calling it all out. But i really don't wanna buy it, sorry have a great day.

Yeah all those functions, etc are cool. Doh are you using all of them. Or have you set it at one and done? :D 

18 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

You can either go round looking like you have stepped out of Tron, or like you are Arnie in that dreadful Mr freeze costume !! :D

I think i will chose Arnie. :D NOW that's a conversation starter! +Free armor!!

• Like 2

Lols - I'm not on a sales tip, promise, but as this is the only thread where that system is discussed I do feel duty-bound to come to its defence when people are comparing it to much inferior alternatives. Some of that will be me justifying my decision to get it of course, but I haven't said anything about it that isn't true, and I hope it is coming across that I am beyond impressed with it, and therefore feel the need to tell people it's a winner ! I'm just aware there's a lot of disappointing light systems out there, and keen to share this is not one of them. 

Or perhaps it's the 'Begode effect', where I am so used to ropey builds and QC that I am positively dithyrambic when I see quality !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Lols - I'm not on a sales tip, promise, but as this is the only thread where that system is discussed I do feel duty-bound to come to its defence when people are comparing it to much inferior alternatives. Some of that will be me justifying my decision to get it of course, but I haven't said anything about it that isn't true, and I hope it is coming across that I am beyond impressed with it, and therefore feel the need to tell people it's a winner !

Oh I'm not bad mouthing it at all. It's awesome, cool, and looks amazing. For that price it should look, how it looks. Like you said there's nothing comes close to it's performance.

I'm just saying one can build something much, much cheaper for same effect - that user only need. Like i mention underglow, all you need is 8x very bright RGB leds and simple controller that is already premade. As you don't see the leds themselves, but only effect they are making, it also would look amazing/sweet. But fraction of price. 

Also because it's diy - the user can choose how/where it's placed. Even led strips are many kinds. Like those ones, where you can't see the leds themselves. Make any form you want around wheel itself. Your only limitations are creative limitations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Funky said:

I'm just saying one can build something much, much cheaper for same effect - that user only need. Like i mention underglow, all you need is 8x very bright RGB leds and simple controller that is already premade. As you don't see the leds themselves, but only effect they are making, it also would look amazing/sweet. But fraction of price. 

I get your point certainly, and I'm not saying you can't get cool results DIYing it OR with a cheaper system - anything that lights up is better than stuff that doesn't ! :D

But if you put 8 hyper-brights behind any kind of easily obtainable diffuser thin enough to conform to helmet curves, you can't get them evenly lit - there are always dull patches between them, which rather ruin the effect. That's why we need 113 tiny ones per side to get absolute continuity, and razor sharp focus everywhere. 

I'll STFU now - I don't need to die on this hill either :) Boys and their toys hey ?

Edited by Cerbera

3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I get your point certainly, and I'm not saying you can't get cool results DIYing it OR with a cheaper system - anything that lights up is better than stuff that doesn't ! :D

But if you put 8 hyper-brights behind any kind of easily obtainable diffuser thin enough to conform to helmet curves, you can't get them evenly lit - there are always dull patches between them, which rather ruin the effect. That's why we need 113 tiny ones per side to get absolute continuity, and razor sharp focus everywhere. 

I'll STFU now - I don't need to die on this hill either :) Boys and their toys hey ?

I meant to put those 8x under pedals. (8x because pedal "L" hangers aren't big. 4x per side) Brights as possible - so they would make all ground shine like sun. :D 

I don't want horns though. I want a Red Sith Holocron ideally, except my own unique design, and projected an inch off the front of the helmet, and ideally gently humming and rotating in true 3D space :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 1

Now I want to buy one.  I imagine the time it would take me to DIY some thing would end up costing me more than the op’s light mode night shift kit.  It looks too good to pass up.  I think I have to invest in my knee and wrist guards before I make this purchase though.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1