14d - does it have ride modes?

Uras

I have a kingsond 14d - my first e unicycle. Using the software (kingsong or euc world) changing ride modes does not seem to make any difference. Then it occurred to me, perhaps this model does not have ride modes? Does anyone here know?

From the user manual:

4. Ride Mode (Cycling Mode)

Ride mode refers to the way the EUC responds to acceleration and braking. Experienced riders will learn to feel the difference in behavior between these modes very quickly. Under play mode, the pedals will remain completely flat when accelerating or breaking. Under learning mode, the pedal will tilt forward or backward along with the rider. This means the pedals will tilt forward slightly when accelerating and tilt back slightly when braking. The main difference between the two modes: learning mode is a more comfortable option suitable for long-distance travel since it requires less pressure from your feet on the edge of the pedal. Play mode is more flexible for those who want to perform trick riding skills like aerial jumping, also it can avoid pedal scraping when climbing or down steep hills. You can select the corresponding riding mode in the "Cycling mode setting" menu.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kurtosis said:

From the user manual:

yes, I've read the user manual. I'm not sure it's aimed at the 14d specifically.

Along with my experience, there is a review by the youtuber wrongway. When he mentions ride modes there is text across his video stating that the 14d doesn't have ride modes. That is the only reference that I've seen.

I imagine anyone with a 14d could answer this, or put forward what they have?

• Like 1

I always thought the 14D has ride modes like any other wheel, but maybe it is an exception. A 14D owner must say to be sure.

Which app are you using to change the ride mode? Maybe try another one. Also note you can only change ride modes while the wheel is standing still, during riding such commands will be ignored.

• Thanks 1

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

I always thought the 14D has ride modes like any other wheel, but maybe it is an exception. A 14D owner must say to be sure.

Which app are you using to change the ride mode? Maybe try another one. Also note you can only change ride modes while the wheel is standing still, during riding such commands will be ignored.

Thanks. I've tried kingsong app and euc world. The kingsong app is problematic and keeps losing connectivity. It also keeps wanting to update but fails to update, so now I just use euc world. Euc world shows that "hard mode" is selected, but I have never felt a difference between any of the modes. 

All my attempted changes are while stationary; I'm still learning to ride.

• Like 1

Just now, Chriull said:

Maybe try to restart the wheel after changing? Afair this was necessary with some wheels.

I did try that too. Also changing settings. I will try that again though because I can't remember if I've done that using euc world.

On my 18xl i took one day and played with all modes.. I have noticed very little difference from hard/medium. And on soft it was very easy to overpower - because it was "rubberbanding", 0.03 second lagging behind user input. - Like if i started to go forwards, it would start to go after 0.03 seconds. Little delay.

Most smooth ride was on soft. (Because of the "delay" it was better feeling on feet.. Could feel less road buzz/bumps.)

On medium and hard i noticed almost no difference. At the end i simply left it on hard and have never changed again.. No point..

My guess on smaller wheels it's even harder to notice.

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2022 at 10:42 PM, Uras said:

I did try that too. Also changing settings. I will try that again though because I can't remember if I've done that using euc world.

No difference with euc world. 

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd update any finding of our ks14d here rather than create a new thread. Our wheel is still standard.

It is my partner's wheel now, because she is small and weighs 47kg. Range for her is 40 - 50km real world use. The battery is around 40% after that. It drops fairly quickly from 40% to 30%. At 30% it starts beeping and becoming problematic. 

For her weight 34 - 35psi is perfect tire pressure. 35 if she is running off curbs etc and will use a bit less battery. The tire is working at this pressure (absorbing bumps etc), and won't make contact with the wheel.