Extremebull Commander Pro (134.4v,3600wh,suspension)

Greg X

8 minutes ago, BKW said:

20230505_181229.thumb.jpg.b035e91ba78b5c5dbb918cde29c7ceca.jpg

Nice 😎👍 Watch out for the pedal stickers to fall off. I don't know if they're meant to be permanent but not hovering over that gapped hole they're not lol

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BKW said:

(Damn, didn't expect I was going to write this much, but I did so here ya go lol...)

Just got back from riding it around midtown, which was somewhat stressful due to it being rush hour and so many people out -- that's the one thing I dislike about living here, is testing out new wheels in the worst places. Anyway...

I'll compare it to the Sherman Max because it's the closest thing I have to compare it to that I know well. Also, keep in mind this is my first suspension wheel.

I didn't inflate the tire at all, nor did I adjust the suspension from the box as I first mounted the wheel in an "alley" near my apartment. I wanted to first get a feel for it before I rode around busy Manhattan. First impression was that the tire looks skinnier than my SherMax (rim?), and it felt like it wanted to dip easier on turns -- this is also likely due to the suspension and how higher the pedals are from the ground compared to the SharMax; likely, also due to heavier top heaviness(?), but not sure.

Besides that difference, it felt like I've rode it before and I adjusted in minutes. The height of the pedals, and mounted/dismounting them had zero hindrance for me. It did feel slightly higher mounting, but it's not very noticeable to me when comparing to the SherMax.

The torque is smoother and stronger than the SherMax, for sure. Braking felt similar.

Biggest thing I noticed about this wheel is how stable it felt at high speeds -- much more stable than the SherMax at high speeds. At lower speeds, slightly worse maneuverability, but manageable, and I see myself getting used to it quickly.

Trolleying it around feels a little short, definitely shorter than SherMax. With the Sherman Max height of the trolley handle was never a concern, but with this wheel I find myself thinking about it a lot thus far. I replaced the plastic handle with the CNC handle. The CNC handle feels stronger obviously, but the plastic handle seemed like it would have been fine honestly. The front and back handles that come stock feel pretty good in my opinion. I don't have any complain about them. For being plastic and grooved out at parts, they feel pretty solid.

Pedals are awesome. Perfect pedals. Lots of grip. High quality.

Weight feels slightly heavier than the SherMax, as it should. Much taller wheel. Much less inconspicuous, for sure.

For the first time from all the wheels I've had thus far, this wheel feels best on the street with cars. This was another big thing I noticed. I actually felt more comfortable with cars on the road than in the bike lane with this monster. It felt like it was too damn "outgrown" for the bike lane, and it needed bigger space; faster space. It felt stifled in the bike lane.

Suspension I want more time to get to know it more, but so far the biggest difference I've noticed is when you hit a bump with the SherMax the whole EUC wants to jump/bounce, but with the Commander Pro it just sucked it up and the wheel does not bounce. I think this makes it feel that much more stable on the street at high speeds than the Sherman Max. I still need to play with the suspension as it's all new to me.

Charging this wheel is going to take forever with the 3A charger. The wheel came at 131V I think, so I plugged the charger in and even for it to reach 134V took a while. It says in the manual it's a 12 hour charge, and this I believe! SLOW CHARGER. The EUC also only had 0.2km on it when I got it out the box, so whatever "QC" was done from the factory was practically zero due to having a full charge and 0.2km on it.

This wheel has got a lot of slack, but let me tell you, at least this batch is DEFINITIVELY worth the money I paid at $3,200 after tax. The V13 and Sherman-S must look like gold, because my impression of the Commander Pro was that it looked pretty damn good and aso performs great. "Batch 1 dislike" is not something I would relate to this wheel anymore. This wheel is DEFINITELY worth the money at least I paid for it.

My biggest gripe about the wheel are the power pads that comes with it. It might be due to my specific placement, but the back calf section feels perfect for me but the front feels too close and was murder on my shins. Likely this was due to how I angled the pads, which I might be able to fix later. Right now as it is, I would want to put aftermarket pads on it, but this may change when I try to adjust it later.

I'd definitely recommend a Roger charger. I charge at 10 amps at home and 22-24 amps via the J1772 adapter to XT60 BMS bypass charge port on-the-go 👍

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, GitDatPC said:

I'd definitely recommend a Roger charger. I charge at 10 amps at home and 22-24 amps via the J1772 adapter to XT60 BMS bypass charge port on-the-go 👍

Yeah, I might just get that charger actually

I mentioned in my review post that it took forever to charge to 134V, but I'm not really sure it went that high. Right now it's been hovering around 131.7-132V according to EUC World. The 10ths place digit has been increasing at a sloth's pace. I've had it plugged in with the stock charger for at least 30 minutes now and the 10th digit has only increased from 131.7V to 131.9V.

Marty has recently made a video on this, which I find useful (I'll post below).

I am constantly reminded how I know jacksh**t about electricity and batteries; therefore, forgive my dumb questions, but the voltage on an EUC is basically how much energy it's holding in the batteries? Why are the volts related to the charge level of the EUC? Is it bad to have a wheel charge at lower voltage than what it is expected to have? I suppose I can google the answer, but thought I'd ask here as well.

Edited by BKW

7 minutes ago, BKW said:

the voltage on an EUC is basically how much energy it's holding in the batteries?

Kind of, but not exactly. Voltage represents the charge level, but not the amount of energy. For example, wheels with a smaller battery pack (less battery cells in parallel) will also charge to full voltage, it will just drain faster. And imagine a battery that were used daily for 20 years. It should still charge to full voltage, but as you ride the charge level (and the voltage) would just drop really fast.

7 minutes ago, BKW said:

Why are the volts related to the charge level of the EUC?

That’s just how all batteries work. As you use them, the voltage gets lower.

7 minutes ago, BKW said:

Is it bad to have a wheel charge at lower voltage than what it is expected to have?

When the battery charge level and voltage are low, you can’t push the max voltage into the batteries right away because the voltage difference between the batteries and the charger determines the charge current. Charging a 134V wheel with battery at 96V with a charger putting out the full 134V would create a huge electric current that would be way too much for both the battery cells and the charger. Therefore the charging voltage is automatically adjusted to be just a bit over the battery voltage, so that the charge current sets where it’s wanted.

But the reason for the 134V Begodes and EBs not charging to full isn’t related to that directly. The latest versions of charge distribution board that they use limit the charge voltage in order to have all packs limited to the same voltage. It’s a crappy way of balancing the packs, but that’s how they’ve decided to do it.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Kind of, but not exactly. Voltage represents the charge level, but not the amount of energy. For example, wheels with a smaller battery pack (less battery cells in parallel) will also charge to full voltage, it will just drain faster. And imagine a battery that were used daily for 20 years. It should still charge to full voltage, but as you ride the charge level (and the voltage) would just drop really fast.

That’s just how all batteries work. As you use them, the voltage gets lower.

When the battery charge level and voltage are low, you can’t push the max voltage into the batteries right away because the voltage difference between the batteries and the charger determines the charge current. Charging a 134V wheel with battery at 96V with a charger putting out the full 134V would create a huge electric current that would be way too much for both the battery cells and the charger. Therefore the charging voltage is automatically adjusted to be just a bit over the battery voltage, so that the charge current sets where it’s wanted.

But the reason for the 134V Begodes and EBs not charging to full isn’t related to that directly. The latest versions of charge distribution board that they use limit the charge voltage in order to have all packs limited to the same voltage. It’s a crappy way of balancing the packs, but that’s how they’ve decided to do it.

Interesting, and very well explained. This helps me understand the difference between the voltage level and the energy of a battery.

I also just read an article explaining voltage, and they mention it's kind of like the pressure of water running through a hose. The less pressure, the less voltage; the higher pressure, the higher voltage. So in this case, I guess the voltage is like the pressure that carries the current of electrons through a system? Relating this to an EUC's higher voltage potential, the higher the EUC voltage the more potential it has to accelerate the wheel I suppose?

My last post I mentioned how the voltage via EUC World app read the volts were stagnating around 131.4V to 137.7 volts -- this whole time it has been increasing in volts very slowly, to the point where the charger stopped charging at the voltage level of 134.1V in EUC World. This 134.1V limit, instead of the 134.4V max potential, is likely due to the reasons you mentioned about the hardware on the EB components (Marty also mentioned this in his video). Or it could be the charger limiting the finals volts to 134.1V?

Edited by BKW

On 5/6/2023 at 12:03 AM, BKW said:

I also just read an article explaining voltage, and they mention it's kind of like the pressure of water running through a hose. The less pressure, the less voltage; the higher pressure, the higher voltage. So in this case, I guess the voltage is like the pressure that carries the current of electrons through a system? Relating this to an EUC's higher voltage potential, the higher the EUC voltage the more potential it has to accelerate the wheel I suppose?

This is a common analogy used to explain voltage. 

However, the analogy borrowed from physics of motion may not be that helpful in the actual understanding of voltage. 

I personally prefer to just simply understand voltage via Ohm"s Law:

I = V ÷ R,   where V is the voltage, I is the current, R is the resistance. Electric current is a rate of flow of electrical charged particles. 

In a closed electrical circuit, it states that the electrical current is directly proportional to the applied voltage, given that the electrical resistance remains constant. 

Going back to motor performance, motor torque generated is dependent on the phase current. And in turn, the phase current is dependent on net difference between phase voltage and back-emf.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, BKW said:

the higher the EUC voltage the more potential it has to accelerate the wheel I suppose?

Exactly! Very well deducted, and an important aspect to consider when accelerating on a low battery.

30 minutes ago, BKW said:

This 134.1V limit, instead of the 134.4V max potential, is likely due to the reasons you mentioned about the hardware on the EB components (Marty also mentioned this in his video). Or it could be the charger limiting the finals volts to 134.1V?

The reason why the voltage numbers reported by the EUC shouldn’t be read too biblically is that the system that measures the voltage isn’t calibrated very well, and is known to be quite normal to have deviations. If the wheel reports 134.1V, the actual voltage could very well be 134.4, or even 134.9. Or 133.3.

The charger itself is easy to measure when unloaded, reduce 0.2V and you are close to what it will give out at maximum when connected to the wheel. If it reads close to the rated max voltage, the charger is fine.

If you want to confirm how correct the wheel’s voltage measurement is, disassemble a bit so you can unplug the battery and measure the voltage directly. Though there’s a catch too, even $100 multimeters can have a tolerance as high as +-1%, so it could theoretically show 133.0V on a 134.4V battery. Though in practice they seem to be much closer to the truth.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BKW said:

The torque is smoother and stronger than the SherMax, for sure. Braking felt similar

Just curious, how is the ease of acceleration and braking? 

For the same effort in rider input, does the Commander Pro accelerate and brake stronger than your Sherman Max? 

10 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I = V ÷ R,   where V is the voltage, I is the current, R is the resistance.

Btw, the above mixes measurement units with unit symbols.

U = voltage, measured in Volts (V).

I = current, measured in Amps (A).

R = resistance, measured in Ohms (Ω).

16 hours ago, BKW said:

(Damn, didn't expect I was going to write this much, but I did so here ya go lol...)

Just got back from riding it around midtown, which was somewhat stressful due to it being rush hour and so many people out -- that's the one thing I dislike about living here, is testing out new wheels in the worst places. Anyway...

I'll compare it to the Sherman Max because it's the closest thing I have to compare it to that I know well. Also, keep in mind this is my first suspension wheel.

I didn't inflate the tire at all, nor did I adjust the suspension from the box as I first mounted the wheel in an "alley" near my apartment. I wanted to first get a feel for it before I rode around busy Manhattan. First impression was that the tire looks skinnier than my SherMax (rim?), and it felt like it wanted to dip easier on turns -- this is also likely due to the suspension and how higher the pedals are from the ground compared to the SharMax; likely, also due to heavier top heaviness(?), but not sure.

Besides that difference, it felt like I've rode it before and I adjusted in minutes. The height of the pedals, and mounted/dismounting them had zero hindrance for me. It did feel slightly higher mounting, but it's not very noticeable to me when comparing to the SherMax.

The torque is smoother and stronger than the SherMax, for sure. Braking felt similar.

Biggest thing I noticed about this wheel is how stable it felt at high speeds -- much more stable than the SherMax at high speeds. At lower speeds, slightly worse maneuverability, but manageable, and I see myself getting used to it quickly.

Trolleying it around feels a little short, definitely shorter than SherMax. With the Sherman Max height of the trolley handle was never a concern, but with this wheel I find myself thinking about it a lot thus far. It also felt like the EUC wanted to fall over to its side much more when trolleying compared to the SherMax. I replaced the plastic handle with the CNC handle. The CNC handle feels stronger obviously, but the plastic handle seemed like it would have been fine honestly. The front and back handles that come stock feel pretty good in my opinion. I don't have any complain about them. For being plastic and grooved out at parts, they feel pretty solid.

Pedals are awesome. Perfect pedals. Lots of grip. High quality.

Weight feels slightly heavier than the SherMax, as it should. Much taller wheel. Much less inconspicuous, for sure.

For the first time from all the wheels I've had thus far, this wheel feels best on the street with cars. This was another big thing I noticed. I actually felt more comfortable with cars on the road than in the bike lane with this monster. It felt like it was too damn "outgrown" for the bike lane, and it needed bigger space; faster space. It felt stifled in the bike lane.

Suspension I want more time to get to know it more, but so far the biggest difference I've noticed is when you hit a bump with the SherMax the whole EUC wants to jump/bounce, but with the Commander Pro it just sucked it up and the wheel does not bounce. I think this makes it feel that much more stable on the street at high speeds than the Sherman Max. I still need to play with the suspension as it's all new to me.

Charging this wheel is going to take forever with the 3A charger. The wheel came at 131V I think, so I plugged the charger in and even for it to reach 134V took a while. It says in the manual it's a 12 hour charge, and this I believe! SLOW CHARGER. The EUC also only had 0.2km on it when I got it out the box, so whatever "QC" was done from the factory was practically zero due to having a full charge and 0.2km on it.

This wheel has got a lot of slack, but let me tell you, at least this batch is DEFINITIVELY worth the money I paid at $3,200 after tax. The V13 and Sherman-S must look like gold, because my impression of the Commander Pro was that it looked pretty damn good and aso performs great. "Batch 1 dislike" is not something I would relate to this wheel anymore. This wheel is DEFINITELY worth the money at least I paid for it.

My biggest gripe about the wheel are the power pads that comes with it. It might be due to my specific placement, but the back calf section feels perfect for me but the front feels too close and was murder on my shins. Likely this was due to how I angled the pads, which I might be able to fix later. Right now as it is, I would want to put aftermarket pads on it, but this may change when I try to adjust it later.

Side of the knobby tire that came with it says max PSI at 32. I inflated mine 25% through the ride to 24-28 PSI and it felt good. I "hardened" the suspension a bit and it also felt slightly better than how it came. I put roughly 23 miles on it according to EUC World with roughly 77% battery left (could be slightly off as I was not paying much attention to miles or battery percentage). I should be getting the street kenda 340A tire from ewheels shortly, but right now it doesn't feel like I need it.

Seated riding literally felt like I was sitting on a box crate LOL. It felt very wide and very flat to sit on. It was hilarious. Very easy to do seated-riding, and it felt down low further than seated-riding with the SherMax with the stock seat.

Speakers I have not yet tested.

Congrats and thanks for the review!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, techyiam said:

Just curious, how is the ease of acceleration and braking? 

For the same effort in rider input, does the Commander Pro accelerate and brake stronger than your Sherman Max? 

From my short ride that day, I would say the CP has stronger and smoother acceleration compared to the Sherman Max. "Smoother" probably due to the suspension and how well the wheel felt planted.

Braking felt pretty much the same as the Sherman Max.

This is just my first impressions based off 23 miles. My opinion could change, but overall it felt stronger/faster in acceleration to Sherman Max.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BKW said:

This is just my first impressions based off 23 miles. My opinion could change, but overall it felt stronger/faster in acceleration to Sherman Max.

Thanks.

What pedal mode are you using on each wheel?

6 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Thanks.

What pedal mode are you using on each wheel?

Hard mode on the CP. Medium on the SherMax. I spent most of my riding time in hard mode on the SherMax, and only recently went to medium. I haven't tested any other modes on the CP yet.

Also, the latest firmware on EUC World made my Sherman Max accelerate faster than previous version, so the original firmware CP felt even faster than the updated Sherman Max firmware.

I got back on my Sherman Max today and already it felt tiny in comparison right away, which is weird because when i got the Sherman Max I came from the 16X and the Sherman Max felt HUGE at the time. Comparing it now to the CP and the Sherman feels small and lightweight lol. Strange how that works. Also, obviously getting back on the Sherman felt like I was very low to the ground as an initial impression coming off the CP

Edited by BKW
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BKW said:

Hard mode on the CP. Medium on the SherMax. I spent most of my riding time in hard mode on the SherMax, and only recently went to medium. I haven't tested any other modes on the CP yet.

Also, the latest firmware on EUC World made my Sherman Max accelerate faster than previous version, so the original firmware CP felt even faster than the updated Sherman Max firmware.

I got back on my Sherman Max today and already it felt tiny in comparison right away, which is weird because when i got the Sherman Max I came from the 16X and the Sherman Max felt HUGE at the time. Comparing it now to the CP and the Sherman feels small and lightweight lol. Strange how that works. Also, obviously getting back on the Sherman felt like I was very low to the ground as an initial impression coming off the CP

congrats ;) you'll love the street tire on CP

• Like 1

for urban commutes the trolley on the master is a bit higher, also weight and inertia are not allies when riding in heavy traffic.
for anything else the wheels are almost identical .

range is the only reason to get a 3600wh , master out-perform any other wheel 

• Like 2