Brand new V11 won't power up

MrEUCMan

Brand new V11. When received, had to do a remote voltmeter calibration with inmotion. Once that was done, the over volt warnings went away. However, when I go to turn it on, there's a high pitched noise and the wheel won't power on. (I was able to work w/ inmotion in recalibrating the voltmeter by plugging in the charger.)

There is a way that I can power on the wheel. Wait for the high pitched noise to go away, then I roll the wheel forward and backwards a few times, and press the power button. Sometimes this works.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MrEUCMan said:

Brand new V11. When received, had to do a remote voltmeter calibration with inmotion. Once that was done, the over volt warnings went away. However, when I go to turn it on, there's a high pitched noise and the wheel won't power on. (I was able to work w/ inmotion in recalibrating the voltmeter by plugging in the charger.)

There is a way that I can power on the wheel. Wait for the high pitched noise to go away, then I roll the wheel forward and backwards a few times, and press the power button. Sometimes this works.

Brand new?  Send it back.

• Upvote 1

I have a somewhat similar issue with my V11. I bought a serviced customer return V11 1,5 week ago. The wheel was barely used and serviced, apparently battery packs were changed. Wheel works great, charges normally, rides normally, but it has sometimes trouble powering up (upright, not on tilted on stand). When it doesn't turn on, nothing happens, it's totally silent (no noise), it just does not balance and the motor does not turn on. I recently found out that even when it's not on, I can connect with inmotion app, but there's nothing weird going on there. I have always managed to turn it on after trying 1-2 minutes, but it's annoying. I have contacted reseller and inmotion, but no solution yet.

Edited by jjll
  • Like 1

Yeah I read that, just didn't realize that it was same wheel in both threads. Super shit luck, one can find a lot bad things about recent V11's around internet, as with almost all models and manufacturers. I guess some wheels from any batch work just ok. Can't tell if it's the same issue with your V11 and mine even the symptoms are the same. It's hard to believe my issue can be something beyond pretty simple repair, as i always manage turn it on even if there's a problem at first, and usually powering up works as it should.

I hope you get your refunds and eventually a working wheel. 

I've tried everything.. Weird thing is everything seems to help, today I even tried doing nothing for the first time, i waited for a minute or so from the first press of the button that did not work and after that the wheel powered up just fine.

twice this has happened to me:  Put on my gear, helmet, gloves, press the button. Nothing.

Then, I take my gloves off, press the button, turns on.

I am thinking ... there's no freaking way the button is touch sensitive. But the above happened to me TWICE already. I may be going nuts.

What a crappy button.

Yeah I can relate to that! Inmotion support was not super insightful about the issue, here's the best info i got so far: "new batches of V11, the V11s adopt new mental buttons, they are not mechanic switches, There are sensors within the switch. With sensors inside, power button can only work when if feels the touch of a person." :) I would still think there's something wrong with the wheel if it sometimes feels my button press is not a touch of a person.

• Like 1

I got another comment about the power on issue from voltride. They were aware of the issue and told that one of their techs have had the same problem, and it was not fixed by changing headlamp/button assembly they got from inmotion to fix it.

On 9/9/2022 at 5:39 AM, jjll said:

Yeah I can relate to that! Inmotion support was not super insightful about the issue, here's the best info i got so far: "new batches of V11, the V11s adopt new mental buttons, they are not mechanic switches, There are sensors within the switch. With sensors inside, power button can only work when if feels the touch of a person." :) I would still think there's something wrong with the wheel if it sometimes feels my button press is not a touch of a person.

Wait ... what ... they are not for real right, there's no sensor in the button for real is there?  This weekend it happened again. I press the button w/ my gloves, nothing. Took my gloves off, the wheel turned on. But then, last night I tried to turn it on w/ my fingers, nothing. It's super inconsistent.

Yeah sounds weird, especially as it's not documented anywhere. I did email inmotion for reassurance if it's really true that it shouldn't work with gloves on, but no answer yet. I also didn't have the issue for 2-3 days without the gloves, but had to travel out of town and will be with the wheel again end of next week, so experimenting continues then. Maybe lick the thumb just a bit everytime you need to power on...

Edited by jjll

30 minutes ago, jjll said:

Yeah sounds weird, especially as it's not documented anywhere. I did email inmotion for reassurance if it's really true that it shouldn't work with gloves on, but no answer yet. I also didn't have the issue for 2-3 days without the gloves, but had to travel out of town and will be with the wheel again end of next week, so experimenting continues then. Maybe lick the thumb just a bit everytime you need to power on...

They have got to be kidding me if this is true. This would probably mean I went through all this for nothing. I'm going to go and lick my thumb right now and see if it turns on. You would imagine they'd document this somewhere.

51 minutes ago, MrEUCMan said:

They have got to be kidding me if this is true. This would probably mean I went through all this for nothing. I'm going to go and lick my thumb right now and see if it turns on. You would imagine they'd document this somewhere.

There would have been many, i mean very many people, who have to had the same problem as you - with gloves and whatnot. There's no way a some kind sensor is in that botten. It's simple push button.. (Creating sensor into it, would simply cost extra $$ for them, for no real gain..)

Also that video where you "press" the button. You heard it yourself, the wheel started to make noise. As trying to power up.. But simply didn't power on. Yet you could hear some kind "electrical" noise happening - as trying to power on or something.

Simply faulty wheel - nothing more.

If you want to do a real test - try tipping the wheel forwards and try powering it on then. And move it backwards little by little (While trying to power on the wheel - pressing button.) like a clock going from front to back lean. Maybe it's up right ballance sensor or something is ducked up.. (My guess some kind angle lets power on the wheel - just the right enough angle.)

Edited by Funky

20 hours ago, Funky said:

There's no way a some kind sensor is in that botten

It would totally make sense there is no sensor, although it would also mean inmotion support is straight up lying or making up stuff for stating otherwise, and I doubt that. Anyway I won't speculate further and will get back to this after i've used the wheel for 1-2 weeks more. I'll post inmotion's reply here though if there's some new info on the matter.

And here’s the reply: “yes, There are sensors within the switch, so even if you tried with gloves, you still found that buttons were also unable to work. If with a rough hand, you can try to long press the power button.”

Edited by jjll
Inmotion’s input
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have made the same discovery. The V11 cannot be turned on with gloves, but it works flawlessly without gloves. However, it can be turned off with and without gloves. I am pretty sure, I had a glove on my left hand and not on the right. I couldn't turn it on with my left hand and it worked fine with my right hand. This cannot be a coincidence. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lara said:

I have made the same discovery. The V11 cannot be turned on with gloves, but it works flawlessly without gloves. However, it can be turned off with and without gloves. I am pretty sure, I had a glove on my left hand and not on the right. I couldn't turn it on with my left hand and it worked fine with my right hand. This cannot be a coincidence. 

I am on my 3rd V11 now. I can almost guarantee that the button is touch sensitive. My routine is now to put everything on except my right glove, power on the V11, then put the glove on. It's nuts I know, but I swear the button doesn't work w/ gloves.

On 9/8/2022 at 8:46 AM, jjll said:

I have a somewhat similar issue with my V11. I bought a serviced customer return V11 1,5 week ago. The wheel was barely used and serviced, apparently battery packs were changed. Wheel works great, charges normally, rides normally, but it has sometimes trouble powering up (upright, not on tilted on stand). When it doesn't turn on, nothing happens, it's totally silent (no noise), it just does not balance and the motor does not turn on. I recently found out that even when it's not on, I can connect with inmotion app, but there's nothing weird going on there. I have always managed to turn it on after trying 1-2 minutes, but it's annoying. I have contacted reseller and inmotion, but no solution yet.

I have the same issue with my daughter's V11. There is no sign the wheel is on, but can connect to Bluetooth in app. It has gotten to the point it takes 30 minutes to Power On. Right now, can't power it on.

On 9/10/2022 at 10:57 AM, jjll said:

I got another comment about the power on issue from voltride. They were aware of the issue and told that one of their techs have had the same problem, and it was not fixed by changing headlamp/button assembly they got from inmotion to fix it.

This is good to know. I got a used button card from a friend and was dragging to take it all apart to replace the button card.