S22 Motherboard Failures

Tawpie

On 8/18/2022 at 6:53 AM, supercurio said:

Correction on what I wrote earlier regarding mainboard versions:

Further look to the mainboard showed that my friend's replacement board revision number changed from:
- v2.1 from 2021-11-25
- v2.3 from 2022-01-05

My S22 with 2205 (May) motor already had v2.3. Board very felt strong, unlike the weaknesses described in earlier reviews.

My questions to anyone with a dead board: was it a v2.1 revision?

My S22 had a v2.3 mainboard, which failed in July. So I don't think we can trust that version either.

It took more than 2 months to get a replacement board, and the replacement is also v2.3. :( 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wheel left me stranded 7 miles into a trail while going up this hill today https://photos.app.goo.gl/vXJ25aiRuVd5mXP36

I just started reading up on all the issues  being reported and will attempt a warranty claim with Rev Rides. I was 2 miles from the closest road and ended up having to leave the S22 then coming back with a V12HT to carry it to my car. After using straps and carabiners to help support the weight I managed to ride the 2 miles back 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Upvote 1

Quite frankly I just wish kingsong just get over it and recall all s22 wheels, the whole development of this wheel is an embarrassment!!! I will gladly hand mine back... Even if I had no motor/board failures yet, the slides and spring, pisses me off enough alone... 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 8:47 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Riding an S22 with a V12 as backup, in 2022. You like to live dangerously:D

Great stable of wheels though.

Lmao, I'm in the same boat. Though my V12 has already died and is back up with the replacement controller. OG controller only had 120miles, new one has gotten over 700 without issue. And now the S22 is dead with a blown controller.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well.. add me to the list of dead controllers.

I tried to hop up a curb going 3 km/h, same as I've done dozens of times on my S18 without issue and she immediately died on me. Dead as doornail and resistance trying to roll. sigh....

Controller is v2.3 2022-01-05

Edited by level9
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, level9 said:

Well.. add me to the list of dead controllers.

I tried to hop up a curb going 3 km/h, same as I've done dozens of times on my S18 without issue and she immediately died on me. Dead as doornail and resistance trying to roll. sigh....

Controller is v2.3 2022-01-05

Sorry to hear it. Please let us know the version of the replacement that you receive.

They sent me a second 2.3 / 2022-01-05 board after my first one died, but KS is saying that the new S22 has an upgraded board...

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 2:38 PM, NSFW said:

Sorry to hear it. Please let us know the version of the replacement that you receive.

They sent me a second 2.3 / 2022-01-05 board after my first one died, but KS is saying that the new S22 has an upgraded board...

Just received the new board - same version. I'm wondering if I need to treat this thing with kid gloves (no curbs, stairs, jumps, etc.) until KS figures out what's going on?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, level9 said:

Just received the new board - same version. I'm wondering if I need to treat this thing with kid gloves (no curbs, stairs, jumps, etc.) until KS figures out what's going on?

Personally, I still ride mine like I stole it - as long as I'm in an area where I wouldn't need to drag it far to get a Lyft ride home.

I want this board to fail again, because I'm hoping that by the time my warranty runs out, they will have sent me a better one. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, level9 said:

Or perhaps there was a manufacturing flaw or otherwise with your old one? If it was a design flaw everyone would have the same problem which they don't.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Or perhaps there was a manufacturing flaw or otherwise with your old one? If it was a design flaw everyone would have the same problem which they don't.

Well. Now the wheel won't charge. The charger won't detect the wheel at all and I've tried everything posted on the forums.

So that makes 1 bad motor (which ewheels pinned before they sent thankfully)

1 bad motherboard

1 bad charger

sigh.. :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, level9 said:

Well. Now the wheel won't charge. The charger won't detect the wheel at all and I've tried everything posted on the forums.

1 bad motherboard

1 bad charger

I feel your pain dude... stay in the (waiting) game my friend, eventually you'll get all the working bits in all the right places !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, level9 said:

1 bad motherboard

1 bad charger

Are you sure everything is 100% assembled correctly? Worst case maybe charger broke from charging old broken motherboard?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Are you sure everything is 100% assembled correctly? Worst case maybe charger broke from charging old broken motherboard?

ewheels just confirmed to me if you plug a charger into a bad board it will frag the charger. They're sending out a new one :thumbup:

• Like 3

On 12/14/2022 at 10:55 PM, Rawnei said:

I see your point, but I'm not sure it matters. Given how many reports there have been of blown boards, it seems unreasonably optimistic to expect outwardly-identical boards to NOT fail at the same rate. 

6 hours ago, NSFW said:

I see your point, but I'm not sure it matters. Given how many reports there have been of blown boards, it seems unreasonably optimistic to expect outwardly-identical boards to NOT fail at the same rate. 

If it was a design problem every board would be affected but they aren't, my guess is poor QC, for instance people have found metal shavings inside the controller those are potential source of causing a short.

• Like 2

...or the design problem is just that there's very little headroom, so that if certain components are near the edges of their tolerance specs, the board doesn't last.

I didn't find any foreign objects in mine, so I'm guessing it's a problem with the board or the components.

Maybe the MOSFET vendor can't consistently make MOSFETs that perform as advertised, for example. Or capacitors, or whatever.

I have had problems also. First ride after 10 km. Flat inner tire. Received new one to put in myself. Horrible job. Upon inspecting the tire I found many splinter like stones inside. Cleaned out and put new tire in. Never failed the tire. Bought the suspension upgrade, that was much needed as the wheel up and down was stuck by mud somehow. Then the beeper failed. Got a new one. Put it in yesterday. Today the charger failed. After reading all these problems, I am  sticking to driving it slow. ( 25kmh )

I have the first batch from myewheel. 
Edit : charger replacement on the way. Ty myewheel.

ps: in my communication with myewheel, I found out that kingsong doesn’t care much about all the problems and leaves it up to the seller to fix everything.

I received new motherboard after wheel found in strange error state. V2.3. Received January. Not installed yet.

51083258-7DF7-42DC-9C52-F4BE9819D25E.jpeg

Edited by dirk9b1f66
New info

• 6 months later...

I have an S 22 pro. The first issue I had with it is that the bearings were loose and would shift out of place and would make a terrible noise. Currently I feel like my charger shorted out my board. The green stand by light fluffiest sometimes and the blinks are not uniform.  The wheel still turns on but doesn’t charge. I’ve replaced the charming board with no change. Here are some pics of my board. Alien rides is working on my warranties but it’s taking longer than I would like. Motherboard photos