Vee Rubber Tires?

Mash

Hello everyone i need some help. I have a Nikola Plus and i want to switch tires, I currently have the Chao Yang 5167 and i seems to have a factory defect that makes it unstable at 30 mph+ i tried multiple time to try to fix it on the wheel but no luck I'm not sure if its the inner tube or just the tire. Yes i have tried seating it on their properly like 10 times. Regardless i spend 90% of my time on the Street so i want to switch to a street tire. I've seen many Veteran sherman riders switch to a Michelin city pro street tire and the only thing close to that in 16x3 is the vee rubber v-284 tire. Has anyone else tried a tire like that on a nikola plus or even a 16x i was just gunna send it and buy it to check it out but i want to see if anyone on the forum has some experience s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

tire sizes are dumb, and there's about 3 different notations out there

16"x3" is just about the same size as 12-2.75

if you get 12-3.00, it very likely will not fit for being too big

Sorry, I don't have many insights beyond that. A quick google search yielded nothing useful. Something to know though is the number of layers, called ply, tells how stiff it feels in general. 2 ply will feel like what stock EUC tires come with. Bicycle thickness. Soft, but don't like to be pushed to high speed. Soak up small bumps great, but big bumps can damage rims. 3 ply is where you see the moped/motorcycle sturdiness. Better at speed, and stays composed enough to drop the air pressure without risking rim damage. Personally, 3 ply is my preference. Based on the photos of this particular v rubber v-284 I'd guess that it's 3 ply, but you can't be sure till you get it in your hands.

Edited by Denny Paul

21 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

tire sizes are dumb, and theres about 3 different notations out there

16"x3" is just about the same size as 16-2.75

if you get 16-3.00, it very likely will not fit for being too big

Sorry, I don't have many insights beyond that. A quick google search yielded nothing useful. Something to know though is the number of layers, called ply, tells how stiff it feels in general. 2 ply will feel like what stock EUC tires come with. Bicycle thickness. Soft, but don't like to be pushed to high speed. Soak up small bumps great, but big bumps can damage rims. 3 ply is where you see the moped/motorcycle sturdiness. Better at speed, and stays composed enough to drop the air pressure without risking rim damage. Personally, 3 ply is my preference. Based on the photos of this particular v rubber v-284 I'd guess that it's 3 ply, but you can't be sure till you get it in your hands.

Do you think it wont fit because its too tall or because its too wide because the Nikola has some room to spare width wise. ive seen videos of people using Knobby tires on the Nikola but i believe it was 16x2.75 though. i think i might just try it and and see if it works for scientific purposes. I think if it does it would be a fun tire to ride.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mash said:

Do you think it wont fit because its too tall or because its too wide because the Nikola has some room to spare width wise. ive seen videos of people using Knobby tires on the Nikola but i believe it was 16x2.75 though. i think i might just try it and and see if it works for scientific purposes. I think if it does it would be a fun tire to ride.

Looking forward to your results! Fingers crossed, brave soldier

On 8/1/2022 at 2:06 PM, Mash said:

Do you think it wont fit because its too tall or because its too wide because the Nikola has some room to spare width wise

not sure specifically for the nikola, but just knowing EUCs they dont tend to leave so much room that you can go up a full tire size without at least cutting away some of the shell. If I recall though, you're right, the nikola did look like it had ample room for a bigger tire... the only way to know for sure is to try it out.

16x2.75 just a narrower 16x3.00 bicycle tire.

2.75-12 is a scooter tire that should fit in place of a 16x3.00 bicycle tire.

My V12 come stock with a 16x3.00 bicycle tire. I have replaced the stock tire with a 2.75-12 scooter tire. The 16x3.0 inner tube still fits.

Note that both the 16x3.00 and 2.75-12 tires are designed to fit on 12" rims.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/1/2022 at 2:29 AM, Denny Paul said:

Something to know though is the number of layers, called ply, tells how stiff it feels in general. 2 ply will feel like what stock EUC tires come with.

Ply rating is an old way to define tire stiffness. It used to refer to the number of reinforcing cotton mesh layers. For EUC's the most common are 2 and 4 ply. It should be an even number, because in bias ply tire the reinforcement layers are laid out in 45 degree angle. An odd number of layers would lead to asymmetric tire. Cotton has been replaced with modern polymers and the actual number of layers can differ from ply rating. 3 ply ratings I have seen only in radial tires sidewalls. Nowadays load index number is used to define maximum allowed load, for example 28 is 100 kg. It is much more meaningful.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, UniVehje said:

I believe you need a 2.75-12 to be equivalent to 16x3” tire. The latter number is the rim diameter. Only in bicycle tires the rough outer diameter is used. 

I believe this tire is used for bikes, the only 2.75x12 tires I've seen have been Knobby tires and I'm looking for more streetable tire and this is the only one I've found other than known euc tires like chao yang and kenda and stuff with a more street tread design. I really appreciate all the feedback I think I'm just gunna be the first one to try this tire. I really hope it works cuz then i can spread the word if it ends up being good

33 minutes ago, Mash said:

I really appreciate all the feedback I think I'm just gunna be the first one to try this tire. I really hope it works cuz then i can spread the word if it ends up being good

I found very little info and no experience about this tire. It should be the correct size for Nicola+. Still fitment needs to be tested. Somebody got to be the first. Now it is your turn. Please let us know how it went.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 10/23/2022 at 8:05 AM, Phonoman said:

So much for this project. <_<

Actually if you look at my thread 

Best Street Tires

you’ll see that I did put this Vee rubber tire on my Nikola. It is EXTREMELY soft, so much that you can mold it onto the rim with your bare hands. It was extremely difficult to get seated onto the rim without it blowing off with a few psi because one side of the bead kept riding up. 

Be warned though that I thought this was a 16x3 tire as it says on the sidewall but it’s more like a 15x2.75. It is smaller diameter and less width than the stock Nikola 16x3.0. It’s almost comical to compare the two tires together when they say the same size!! 

As for ride feel it is simply amazing. Soaks up bumps nicely, the turning is like it reads your mind, so effortless to turn it (no gyro, no tram lining), less diameter means more acceleration but I did notice a 2mph drop in top speed :(

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1