EXN HT vs OG sherman?

I’m stuck between these two. I’ve owned a sherman and know I loved it, but would I love a EXN more? Lifting it in the middle sounds good.. more torque 👌. Easier tire changes, easier, cheaper, to repair. More parts available. Love the way it looks.. but should I stick with the devil I know or the devil I don’t? :) 

im about 210lb, I usually don’t ride over 35mph.. but maybe as I get more experience? 
what say you fine folks. 

also, looking at the HT because ewheels doesn’t have the HS. 

• Like 1

I haven't had any major issues with my EX.N. I weigh ~260 lbs.  I got the C38 ( HT) version. I like to ride trails. I also use it to do a mixed commute. It's easier than a Monster Pro to lift into an express bus. With my weight I can get around 33 mph on a full charge before 70% pwm alarms/ tiltback engage. I've flashed @Freestylercustom firmware. It's been a godsend since I don't always hear the beeps. I also ride through rain and mud. I open the side panels and inspect everything quite often. So far it's been good. The EX.N is matured enough that most of the initial issues have been addressed. The eWheels purchased Begode wheels have the better assembled/ safer battery packs 

My speed and distance are corrected to actual. The speed is very accurate, the distance is close. 

• Like 3

This is really a decision based on if you’ll want to go faster than 35mph.

in my experience, there’s a mental barrier at 35mph-40mph for most people, and for good reason. Some people want to try it once, then maybe never again. Some people dont want to touch it. Some people fly by without give it a second thought. Things get a little twitchy at this spirited faster pace; it’s not something everyone enjoys.

figure out where you’re at, and purchase accordingly. The exn ht will have a superior drive characteristic: more torque equals better acceleration and braking. If you need more sport than the 35mph it tops out at, then the clear choice is the Sherman. 

• Like 1

Also the OG Sherman has a traditional axle which can break easier than a hollow bore one. Since you are considering the HT EX.N it has the preferred smaller bearings. At my weight I will not consider anything with a traditional axle. If I sneeze I will break one. I'm very careful with my mten3 since there's no hollow bore option.

The Begode/ Gotway rims seem more resilient than the Leaper Kim ones.

4 hours ago, Unipilot69 said:

Also the OG Sherman has a traditional axle which can break easier than a hollow bore one. Since you are considering the HT EX.N it has the preferred smaller bearings. At my weight I will not consider anything with a traditional axle. If I sneeze I will break one. I'm very careful with my mten3 since there's no hollow bore option.

The Begode/ Gotway rims seem more resilient than the Leaper Kim ones.

I just went ahead and got my sherman back. Lol it’s such a great wheel. I’m about 210-220lb she’s never left me wanting. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 6/19/2022 at 12:29 PM, Unipilot69 said:

I haven't had any major issues with my EX.N. I weigh ~260 lbs.  I got the C38 ( HT) version. I like to ride trails. I also use it to do a mixed commute. It's easier than a Monster Pro to lift into an express bus. With my weight I can get around 33 mph on a full charge before 70% pwm alarms/ tiltback engage. I've flashed @Freestylercustom firmware. It's been a godsend since I don't always hear the beeps. I also ride through rain and mud. I open the side panels and inspect everything quite often. So far it's been good. The EX.N is matured enough that most of the initial issues have been addressed. The eWheels purchased Begode wheels have the better assembled/ safer battery packs 

My speed and distance are corrected to actual. The speed is very accurate, the distance is close. 

sweet, i just ordered a new version Begode EX.N Torque. do you have experience greasing it and doing all the preventative maintenance? i also live in Bremerton if you want to go for a ride some time

• Like 1

I've been lazy and just keep riding. I do take the side panels off about monthly to inspect everything. So far no significant intrusion. I will remove the panels sooner if I've ridden in rain or had concerning impacts with the ground or other hard obstacles.

The bearings are holding up. The smaller bearings that Begode uses can be replaced with higher quality name brand (SKF) for around $50.00 each.

I've repacked my RS bearings two years ago and they are still going. Those are about $300.00 a piece for better quality. On those I opened both seals, cleaned the shit grease out and repacked with marine grease. Those bearings I repacked before install. The original bearings went out at 100 miles. I cleaned those out and repacked them as well. They are still a bit rough but still can be used in a pinch. With the cost of the large size bearings it's cheaper to get a replacement motor assembly.

I'm up for riding. I can ride anywhere. Street, easy trail, trail, and probably not a good idea trail. I'll even ride in snow. I don't care to ride in known icing condition. My tires don't have studs.

hello all,

i just recieved my latest versions Begode EXN HT. i need help setting up the recommended temerature and speed alarms. as well as the tilt back. does anybody have recommendations to keep my machine and me from over heating, or burning up anything. recommended temps would be greatly appreciated. i use EUC world app.. thanks again, and as always keep the rubberside down.

I think my temperature alarm in euc world is 65°c. I've had it trigger a few times on my ex.n and often on my RS. My RS is the c30 high speed and my ex.n is the c38 high torque. I've never had the Begode temperature alarm with tiltback trigger. I climb very steep hiking/bike paths in the park by my house.

I've done the speed correction in euc world using a local radar speed sign. I've set the corrected distance in euc world using known distance and gps distance. The speed correction is very accurate, the distance correction is a little less accurate.

I've flashed @freestyler pwm tiltback firmware. I think that is the most important setting there is. I'm not a light weight so my pwm safety kicks in at 75%. I can safely reach a corrected speed of 34mph on a battery charge of 50% or more. I usually charge when it reaches 50%. 

I use the ex.n for both street and trail. 34mph is fine for most street situations. There are a few places higher speed would be preferred. I try and avoid faster streets if at all possible.

• Like 1

For the initial flashing you have to get a proxy setting from @freestyler and use the Begode app. After that you can flash custom firmware using the EucWorld app. There's a tutorial in the "making Begode wheels safer" thread. 

On 2/24/2023 at 10:51 AM, Unipilot69 said:

I think my temperature alarm in euc world is 65°c. I've had it trigger a few times on my ex.n and often on my RS. My RS is the c30 high speed and my ex.n is the c38 high torque. I've never had the Begode temperature alarm with tiltback trigger. I climb very steep hiking/bike paths in the park by my house.

I've done the speed correction in euc world using a local radar speed sign. I've set the corrected distance in euc world using known distance and gps distance. The speed correction is very accurate, the distance correction is a little less accurate.

I've flashed @freestyler pwm tiltback firmware. I think that is the most important setting there is. I'm not a light weight so my pwm safety kicks in at 75%. I can safely reach a corrected speed of 34mph on a battery charge of 50% or more. I usually charge when it reaches 50%. 

I use the ex.n for both street and trail. 34mph is fine for most street situations. There are a few places higher speed would be preferred. I try and avoid faster streets if at all possible.

unipilot

rhanka for the input. I have my temp set to 65 c. Did you set any amp alarms? Or speed alarms for the EXN HT C38? Thank you. Anything helps