Your opinion? Inmotion V12 HS vs HT

ReadyPlayerOne

which do you guys think I’m general is a better wheel and for what type of rider?

Really torn between the two.
Two major points I’ve noticed:

1. Does it really make practical sense for a 16” wheel to go that fast for HS version?

2. Is the headroom for max speed on HT enough for majority of riders to not be concerned about cutouts at riding close to max speed?

Edited by ReadyPlayerOne

• ReadyPlayerOne changed the title to Your opinion? Inmotion V12 HS vs HT

In both wheels the benefits only come to play in the extremes. Riding close to top speed or riding up extremely steep hills or drag racing. For easy feel of accelerating the torque motor does not help as it’s about geometry. 
And if you REALLY need those extremes, especially speed, you should be looking at other wheels. For a 16x3” wheel you already have the geometric benefit of acceleration and riding uphill. For high speeds you want the stability of bigger diameter. Therefore I would go for HT option. Very likely both well behave equally, though. There’s enough headroom for speed left inaccessible anyway. The announced top speed is not what it could go without any restrictions. And if that’s a concern, look at other wheels. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Funky said:

You know that these wheels have problems right? Or you simply don't care and will gamble at riding.

Yea. Just hoping they would get the issues fixed very soon. Im hoping the new batch (not the replacement board swap on previous) of HS is fixed. As for the HT issue, not sure if it would be from hardware or software. 

As we can see that v11 is having issues still.. I would give them year at least, till they get their shit shorted out. Anything less than a year would be wonders..

So maybe 2023/24.. Good Luck. One fix = 2 problems. :D 

Good company would fix their shit in week time.. How hard is to find the problem - it seems like they aren't testing anything themselves, just going by costumer reviews...  Monkeys at work..

(Power on/off going for light ride - that isn't a ducking test.):facepalm:

Edited by Funky

Personally have the HT on order, lost on a boat somewhere in the world, but that's a story for a different day.  I live in Utah so the HT carried more appeal regarding hills and elevation changes, despite weighing 160lbs.  The mosfets have been replaced, as has the rim, adjustments to the handle, among other minor changes based on what I've read.  The issues that plagued the original V12 appear to have been addressed with the HT and the only content I've seen lambasting the wheel has been WrongWay.  Poor guy just cant seem to catch a break as his first wheel put him on his a$$, as did the second wheel.  If I'm understanding things correctly, I believe both wheels were test wheels and I think they were different, although he mentioned the first wheel was sourced through eWheels and was given to him indefinitely, leading me to believe it was a production wheel.  Conversely, other reviews appear positive, namely Chooch who despite a nasty spill early on(which he credited to pushing the wheel beyond reasonable limits) seems to be thoroughly enjoying his and is even competing with it now.  My hope is most of the concerns have already been resolved and WrongWay's situation is an isolated incident, but at the end of the day there is always more risk associated with newer wheels.

I just watched eevee's HT video—they're only going to carry the HT because (and I agree with this) going 70 kph on a 16" wheel isn't something that many people will actually do in day-to-day riding. Better rim, better MOSFETs (what is really "better" in a MOSFET?), possibly wider kickstand, they like the looks.

I'd def go HT!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, bracky72 said:

Call me crazy but I’ve never ridden a wheel larger then 16” and I find 70 kph no big deal. Completely stable. I’m probably not the only one. 

What tire are you using on the 16" wheel that went 70 km/h?

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Poddypod said:

I just got a v12 HS recently and find it fine going 60+. I hover in the mid 60s since the wheel fights a little at 70 so didn't bother fighting with it for the extra 5km/h.

I find that if I ride on the balls of my feet, that's with the heels not touching the pedals, it is easier to accelerate to 71 km/h, at which point, tilt-back will prevent me from going faster on level ground. You may are right, there may be some reluctancy.

According to your profile, you also ride the Sherman Max and the S22.

On your V12, are you still on your stock tire, and is it in the "off road" mode?

I am curious as to how you would compare your V12 to the other two wheels for riding on roads to commute.

At 65 km/h or faster, for similar rider input effort, how would you rate them in terms of acceleration, braking, and negotiating turns?

Also, at 65 km/h or faster, how would you rate the wheels in how planted, and how smooth they feel on the road?

Thanks.

I've ordered the HT, I'm not really planning on using for high speed riding.  I've got a suspension wheel on the way and I'd feel safer with suspension for faster riding because the suspension adds to the safety (as does the larger diameter wheel). I suspect that the HS would have enough torque for most purposes and the HT would have enough speed for most of us, but the HT should be harder to over-lean and over-speed can be controlled by tilt-back (over-lean is really hard for the wheel to prevent).

• 3 weeks later...

So I believe I'll be ordering the HS. I have an S22 that I absolutely love. It just shreds, especially with the printed sliders now. So selling off my 18xl and 14s to my brother for my nephews to take ownership of em. So now needing a good alternate wheel, figure I can get my favorite attributes of both those in the V12. I want something fun and nimble, portable and tough (good loaner/learner wheel for others) with good range.

Going back and forth with ewheels Jason, this was his latest response:  "Yeah, there does seem to be a decent 25% increase in range for the HS variant of the V12 HS, & the subjective difference in torque is pretty similar between the two types. For the question about the rim, the HSs are equipped with the same rim now, just not painted orange..."

So basically you give up the orange painted rim for 25% more range. That and more speed headroom. Also I really don't see myself ever taking the V12 on trails, that's what the S22 loves doing.

I'm very much sceptical of this claimed 25% greater range, I don't even believe it would be possible to have this great a difference between two very similar wheels.  I would question the testing methodology and the control of all the variables (weight, tyre, tyre pressure, aerodynamics, speed, temperature, etc.)

My own testing on my V12HT:

rXwrY3V.jpgbKoi64q.jpgau6b51D.jpg97YpKma.jpg

So, on the last one I managed 64.53km riding with a decent top speed and average speed and 33% battery remaining.  The 2nd to last one I still had 23% left after 69km.  Could I really ride the HS version for 25% more?  I know that I don't have a huge amount of experience on my V12HT, I only received it 2 weeks ago, so I've only managed to put 490km onto the wheel so far and now today it is raining so I won't bother going for a ride. But yeah, I'm seeing pretty decent range that easily matches or beats my RS HS despite having 1750Wh compared to 1800Wh.  But the V12HS also has 1750Wh like the HT and I just can't see it really getting 25% more range from the same battery - if anything you might ride faster, which would give you LESS range.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

I'm very much sceptical of this claimed 25% greater range,

I have a second batch V12 HS. All I can say is once the speed is above 40 km/h or so, the range shorten considerably. 

Even I if go really slowly like not going above 30 km/h, I would have a hard time getting 1 km per 1% drop in battery.

Looking at your last ride data shown, I don't think I can get that kind of range for the speeds you were riding at, on for my V12 HS.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 5:18 PM, KiwiMark said:

I'm very much sceptical of this claimed 25% greater range, I don't even believe it would be possible to have this great a difference between two very similar wheels.  I would question the testing methodology and the control of all the variables (weight, tyre, tyre pressure, aerodynamics, speed, temperature, etc.)

My own testing on my V12HT:

rXwrY3V.jpgbKoi64q.jpgau6b51D.jpg97YpKma.jpg

So, on the last one I managed 64.53km riding with a decent top speed and average speed and 33% battery remaining.  The 2nd to last one I still had 23% left after 69km.  Could I really ride the HS version for 25% more?  I know that I don't have a huge amount of experience on my V12HT, I only received it 2 weeks ago, so I've only managed to put 490km onto the wheel so far and now today it is raining so I won't bother going for a ride. But yeah, I'm seeing pretty decent range that easily matches or beats my RS HS despite having 1750Wh compared to 1800Wh.  But the V12HS also has 1750Wh like the HT and I just can't see it really getting 25% more range from the same battery - if anything you might ride faster, which would give you LESS range.

Thanks for sharing that aye! Actually pulled the trigger on the HT, will be here tmrw. Pretty pumped. I too was skeptical of the quoted range difference, but surely depends on how you ride. I mean if I have a high torque wheel, you better believe I'm gonna torque it. A lot. Where as I might not on a high speed wheel.

Also after talking to another dealers rep on youtube chat (Scott Davies), he said the rims are 100% different when lined up side by side. There's a noticeable difference in width and the HT rim, once removed from the motor, is heavier. I need a heavier duty rim for the crappy roads in my city, so HT it is. Can't wait..

Edited by vikingto
  • Like 3

I've put 500km on my HT, it has been really good. Very easy to accelerate and no problem riding at 50kph, which is fast enough for a 16" wheel and is also fast enough to get me around the city fairly quickly.

• Like 1

The V12 HT was my first wheel. I sometimes wish my top speed was 70 kph instead of 60, but I have yet to hit 50 kph on it. The thing is built like a tank as well. Both of my Inmotions have that tank like feel, which I really appreciate. 

The main thing I noticed about the 12 is how nimble it is, especially compared to the V13. The V12 you can kind of just intuitively flick around. You can't do that on the V13. The V13, by comparison, is a straight line drag racer. I think the differences, between the HS and HT are sublte but real. Heavier duty rim and more torque. Seems like a really good thing. 

I would buy a V12 HT again, if I somehow lost my current. 

Although thinking back on it, I kind of feel like I should have gone with a Sherman Max. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 11:06 PM, 2disbetter said:

Although thinking back on it, I kind of feel like I should have gone with a Sherman Max. 

Are you talking about riding technical trails, or bike park, or are you talking about street riding.

I ride a V12. It can do 70 km/h, it is a great wheel.

When I first got my Abrams, it rode like a mammoth. Top heavy, too wide, doesn't accelerate nor brake, and can't turn, the hold nine yard as being a big heavy wheel. But I expected that. I bought it to find out about big heavy wheels, and see if I can adapt to it.

As it turns out, with riding time, things improved gradually. My knees became much more flexible. Who knew this was possible. My feet can be closer together and not exaggerated duck-feet. The Abrams can now accelerate close to my V12, and is easier to brake hard. And agility is fantastic at speeds. However, I still need to work on making tiny U-turns on my Abrams. I also still need to work on my free-mount, and balancing at a dead stop. 

I don't know what it is. I can't explain it. Once I found the right movement to make on the wheel, it can all of a sudden turn on a dime at speeds.

For my commute, my Abrams rides similarly to my V12.

I'll bet things will improve for you a lot, after you have spent enough time riding it. Your body will adapt.

Give it more time. You may change your mind.

When I was on a V13, my Abrams felt more top heavy, much wider at the top, and more cumbersome to control than the V13.

When you have adapted to your V13, your V12 HT, should feel too light, too small, and like a toy.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I'll bet things will improve for you a lot with much more riding. Your body will adapt.

Give it more time. You may change your mind.

When I was on a V13, my Abrams felt more top heavy, much wider at the top, and more cumbersome to control than the V13.

When you have adapted to your V13, your V12 HT, should feel too light, too small, and like a toy.

Thanks! Just what I needed to hear! I hope I don't think of the HT as too much of a toy though. It is a great wheel and is much easier to commute with. 

Even though I can turn on a dime with the HT, it is good to hear that such things are possible with the bigger and heavier wheels. 

I am really happy would both wheels over all though. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Are you talking about riding technical trails, or bike park, or are you talking about street riding.

I'm not really interested in off roading with EUCs. I like that people do it, and that they can, but I don't see it as something I really care about. I plan on using it only on paved surfaces. As such all that I've seen about the Sherman is that it is a great long-range cruiser. 

Honestly though, it is just this impulse to have all of the EUC options out there. I have to temper myself continually. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

I plan on using it only on paved surfaces. As such all that I've seen about the Sherman is that it is a great long-range cruiser. 

Me too.

Since this is the case, most likely any of the big wheels would work well. And, of course the Sherman-S has more range than the V13.

But if you have less than a year riding experience, the Sherman-S maybe a wheel that would be quicker to adapt to than a 22" wheel like the V13.

• 6 months later...