Poor Design? What is with these valve stems...

13 hours ago, Saboteur_ZA said:

Good point about the valve nut not fitting, yeah, I didn't think that through! Anyway, I tried out the higher PSI on a quick ride at lunchtime... ugh! Not good, I couldn't ride it safely, had to stop and let some air out. Not scientific now, but since I started at 30 psi, and it still feels higher than the 25 psi I used to ride, I think it must be around 26 or 27 psi... Actually feels more stable at really low speeds, but doesn't feel too unstable for normal riding, which is good. Still don't understand how people ride at 35 or 40 psi though, I would be crashing all the time! And since I don't have a suspension wheel, would be really bad. When learning, I didn't know about scanning ahead, so I hit some bad road surface, potholes, etc. If I hadn't been using lower psi, hate to think what would have happened, wouldn't have controlled it for sure.

16X is rather sensitive. I couldn’t ride on 2.2 bar, too sensitive to small movements. I find 1.8-2.0 bar best. (I’m 75 kg with gear, stock tire)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Saboteur_ZA said:

52136432953_5740d12260_b_d.jpg

If the valve kept sliding back in the tube wasn't really in the right place and/or was twisted. Hopefully wresting it out like this doesn't cause any pinches around the valve stem. 

I get why the store probably just grabbed a pair of pliers and pulled it back out (time is money etc), but if it kept happening they should've removed the motor and made sure all was good inside the tyre.

11 hours ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

If the valve kept sliding back in the tube wasn't really in the right place and/or was twisted.

Yes, I have a feeling this problem might recur, since it's happened twice already. If it does, for sure I'll do a proper investigation.

On 6/9/2022 at 7:32 AM, Saboteur_ZA said:

I'm really frustrated at the moment and trying to be rational. But I really don't get why the tyre valve stems on EUCs are so poorly designed. Maybe it is just me but it is always an ordeal when having to inflate the tyre. I have a KingSong 16x, bought it earlier this year, done just over 500km on it. The first time I had to inflate the wheel, I struggled with a bicycle valve adapter, the floppy kind that I pretty much wrecked just fighting to connect it. But managed it eventually. Searched online and found some valve adapters that were recommended, so I bought one. Long straight brass connecter, thought that would help. But maybe the valve stem on my tyre is defective, because it keeps disappearing into the tyre! What I mean is, you cannot even see the bend in the valve stem, it looks straight because only a small portion is showing, and it is jammed up against the side of the rim. I took it back to the store where I bought it, they took it into the back, brought it back with the valve stem in the right position. Great! Thought that was the end of it. But yesterday I needed to inflate the tyre again.  Same problem, valve stem disappeared into the tyre... so annoying. Thought of taking it to a bike repair shop, just because the EUC store is a long drive away. But they wouldn't even look at it, insurance issues apparently. Never thought of that, guess they're well aware of the history of EUCs and fires... Good thing my household insurance doesn't penalize me for that, but who knows, in the event of a fire there's probably a little clause somewhere... Anyway, maybe this is something I should be able to deal with myself, everyone on this forum seems pretty handy and capable of maintenance themselves. I, on the other hand, not so handy at all...  Maybe I should learn. But I can't believe this is normal. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue with the valve stem sinking into the tyre? Seem to remember that on my bicycle tyres, there was a metal ring that fit around the valve stem - thinking that the purpose was to keep the valve stem in place. That would be ideal for my situation, I think.

I did the "valve stem dance" this past week.  I recently upgraded from a 2.125" to a 2.5" tire on my Tesla T3 and used the inner tube that came with the 2.5" tire.  Valve stem was way too long and was touching plastic.  After the tube was pumped up I pushed the stem in and it stayed but all I could think about while riding was it popping out and jamming in some plastic, ripping off and getting an instant flat and face planting. lol.  So 2 days later I pulled the tube out and put the original 2.125 tube in.  The valve sits perfect.  Going down a size in tubes compared to tires seems to be a pretty common practice and it works perfectly in this tire.

Edited by M640