Begode RS vs inmotion v11 vs kingsong s18

I’m considering buying either an RS, v11 or s18.  I’m a novice (started learning April 2022 and have about 150 miles total). I’m drawn to the RS for the performance vs price but I am considering a v11 or s18 because I think suspension will be safer and help me deal with unexpected obstacles. What do you guys think?

intended use:

- short errands (4 miles or less round trip) on sidewalks and 35ph speed limit streets, around 15-20mph

- riding around for fun around residential neighborhood, around 10-15mph

- off-road on parks (bumpy grass, trails)

I’m not interested in using EUC for commuting or long trips. I have a family who aren’t interested in EUC or anything like it and I don’t want to go on trips by myself.

Current wheels: inmotion v8 - I like the build quality but it’s underpowered. Tesla v2 - it has sufficient power but I would like a little more headroom for safety, and I would like a wheel that has higher pedal clearance for off-road and tight turns. 

Budget: up to $2500. I sadly don’t have the budget for a Sherman or begode master or begode hero. 
thanks in advance. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks! I’m interested in the RS mostly because of the extra headroom, which I’m hoping will make a cut out more unlikely. Right now my minimum safety margin on the Tesla is 27% which seems a bit low. 

I guess what would help break the tie is to know the community’s opinion about which one is safer? Is it the RS because of the higher power which makes overleaning or overpowering unlikely? Or is it the S18 because it would help me deal with bumps and obstacles that I don’t see? 

i think s18 seems to be safer because I can control my speed to avoid overleaning but hidden bumps and obstacles are less likely to be within my control. Is that a logical conclusion ?

As for selling my wheels i already sold one and if I get a new one I will try to sell the Tesla too so that’s already accounted for in my meager budget. 😅

thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, 360rumors said:

higher power which makes overleaning or overpowering unlikely?

This is true if (and only if) you have self control over speed because every wheel has its limit, the problem tends to be that speed is very very fun and if it can go faster, it tends to go faster. And faster.

2 hours ago, 360rumors said:

I can control my speed to avoid overleaning but hidden bumps and obstacles are less likely to be within my control.

There's a lot to be said about not having to pay 100% attention to the road ahead, and suspension definitely lets you relax a little bit more especially when you're moving briskly.

Now, if you have the self control to keep an S18 in the mid to high 20s, do you 'need' the headroom of the RS? Or, do you suspect you might harbor a yearning to go faster than 28? If the latter is evenly remotely possible, you should go with the RS.

That said... 150 miles means you might not have crashed yet, or experienced speed wobbles at 25, or had the pants scared off you by a bunny darting in front of you. It seems that while we all love that burst of speed, as we rack up the miles we tend to damp things down a bit. Going 40 mph when you're 6 inches above the surface of a "road" maintained by politicians while trusting everything to a piece of kit made as cheaply as can be made… might lose some of its luster after the first faceplant.

(I have a feeling you want the RS, so you should get the RS and figure out if you're a speed junky or not… exploring speed will be 'less foolish' on an RS. I recommend spending lavishly for quality gear, but that's just me and I'm allergic to rehab)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

This is true if (and only if) you have self control over speed because every wheel has its limit, the problem tends to be that speed is very very fun and if it can go faster, it tends to go faster. And faster.

There's a lot to be said about not having to pay 100% attention to the road ahead, and suspension definitely lets you relax a little bit more especially when you're moving briskly.

Now, if you have the self control to keep an S18 in the mid to high 20s, do you 'need' the headroom of the RS? Or, do you suspect you might harbor a yearning to go faster than 28? If the latter is evenly remotely possible, you should go with the RS.

That said... 150 miles means you might not have crashed yet, or experienced speed wobbles at 25, or had the pants scared off you by a bunny darting in front of you. It seems that while we all love that burst of speed, as we rack up the miles we tend to damp things down a bit. Going 40 mph when you're 6 inches above the surface of a "road" maintained by politicians while trusting everything to a piece of kit made as cheaply as can be made… might lose some of its luster after the first faceplant.

(I have a feeling you want the RS, so you should get the RS and figure out if you're a speed junky or not… exploring speed will be 'less foolish' on an RS. I recommend spending lavishly for quality gear, but that's just me and I'm allergic to rehab)

Yes I believe you're right.  Once you get a faster wheel, it only seems to make you want an even faster wheel.  Having said that I don't want to go faster than 25, and will probably cruise at 20mph most of the time

Re speed wobbles, I've had them at around 20mph.  It was quite scary because normally, when i slow down the wobbles go away.  In this case, the wobbles kept getting worse, to the point where I thought about bailing until finally the wobbles stopped when I was down to pedestrian walking speed.  

Even when I had a sportbike, I rode at regular freeway speeds, so I don't think i will be a speed junky on an EUC that feels much less reliable than a motorcycle.

The RS is powerful, fast, has torque for days and is a smooth ride but nothing compared to my EX. Even with its paltry suspension, it’s a huge difference and I always feel more relaxed on the EX. If you can push your budget higher, get the Master and have best of all worlds, speed, safety margin and suspension. But if unable then my preference would be the RSHS or RST over the s18  and V11.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UtahRider said:

If you can push your budget higher, get the Master and have best of all worlds, speed, safety margin and suspension. But if unable then my preference would be the RSHS or RST over the s18  and V11.

Thanks! I wish I could afford the Master. But i feel it is really overkill for my purposes. Otoh I’m just a noob so I don’t know if I can correctly predict how i will use it in the future.  😅

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 1:06 AM, UtahRider said:

The RS is powerful, fast, has torque for days and is a smooth ride but nothing compared to my EX. Even with its paltry suspension, it’s a huge difference and I always feel more relaxed on the EX. If you can push your budget higher, get the Master and have best of all worlds, speed, safety margin and suspension. But if unable then my preference would be the RSHS or RST over the s18  and V11.

Wow you’re making me want to buy the Master! I preordered the King Song S22 but it’s taking forever to come 

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Wow you’re making me want to buy the Master! I preordered the King Song S22 but it’s taking forever to come 

Fwiw I’ve seen some people who wanted to sell their Master. 

On 6/1/2022 at 1:41 AM, 360rumors said:

I’m considering buying either an RS, v11 or s18.  I’m a novice (started learning April 2022 and have about 150 miles total). I’m drawn to the RS for the performance vs price but I am considering a v11 or s18 because I think suspension will be safer and help me deal with unexpected obstacles. What do you guys think?

intended use:

- short errands (4 miles or less round trip) on sidewalks and 35ph speed limit streets, around 15-20mph

I’m not interested in using EUC for commuting or long trips. I have a family who aren’t interested in EUC or anything like it and I don’t want to go on trips by myself.

Current wheels: inmotion v8 - I like the build quality but it’s underpowered. Tesla v2 - it has sufficient power but I would like a little more headroom for safety, and I would like a wheel that has higher pedal clearance for off-road and tight turns. 

Budget: up to $2500. I sadly don’t have the budget for a Sherman or begode master or begode hero. 
thanks in advance. 

Of these three (RS, V11, S18), I would choose the V11. Suspension is the future, and many manufacturers are planning to bring more and more suspension unicycles on sale. Even the most popular youtubers say they no longer want a unicycle without a suspension. I have ridden an euc with a non-suspension for a long time, and now I am riding with an euc with suspension, and I can honestly say that I no longer want to ride an euc without a suspension. Your legs, back and your body praise you for having suspension on your unicycle. For the sake of the value of the aftermarket alone, you should look at a model with suspension. The battery of the KS-S18 is so small that it doesn't get you very far and unfortunately people still rebuild the S18's suspensions because they don't work when they come out from the factory. But what comes to Begode euc´s, are you ready to accept a poor quality and the risk of fire? I'm not ready, so there's no way to recommend it.

• Like 2

Yes I bought a used one.  Can't deny the good looks.  I've gotten a lot more complements than on my other wheels.  As for the suspension, it isn't as different as I thought it would be but it does take the edge off big bumps.  As for handling, reviewers have called it nimble.  Compared to my other wheels, it is not.  It is very stable.  I can easily ride on one leg on it, which i can't do nearly as easily on the Tesla v2.

Thank you for your detailed reply. I find your thought processes and reaction interesting. I find purchasing a wheel is crazy complex.

I sense that your after purchase reaction isn't as joyous as I would have expected from someone who just got himself a new-to-him wheel. However, I can't say I was that different either when I made my V12 purchase. For starters, buying early batches of newly released wheel is guaranteed to cause headaches. Another biggie is that there is a learning curve to get to know a wheel. And after all that money and effort spent, there is still a high probability that you may still not like it.

I myself have been looking for a wheel for a while now. But I still haven't been able to nail one down. It is almost impossible to be sure, a priori, that the right one is bought.

I have a feeling with euc's, one just have to buy and try, until the one is found.

• Like 2

Do you want to (eventually) feel like a martial arts god wielding Hattori Hanzō's katana where you hone your skill to the point where you can slice through the grain of 100 bamboo shoot consecutively while blind-folded, then get the RST.

If not, then I guess you could get some other wheel.

3 hours ago, 360rumors said:

Yes I bought a used one

Ah, I see you've already chosen incorrectly, ganbatte.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vanturion said:

Do you want to (eventually) feel like a martial arts god wielding Hattori Hanzō's katana where you hone your skill to the point where you can slice through the grain of 100 bamboo shoot consecutively while blind-folded, then get the RST.

If not, then I guess you could get some other wheel.

Ah, I see you've already chosen incorrectly, ganbatte.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. All of the wheels I got were used. As it happens I also got the v11 today. Also used. And although I haven’t gone anywhere near its limits, I already find it excellent and I prefer it to the s18 in every way except style, weight, and charging time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, techyiam said:

Thank you for your detailed reply. I find your thought processes and reaction interesting. I find purchasing a wheel is crazy complex.

I sense that your after purchase reaction isn't as joyous as I would have expected from someone who just got himself a new-to-him wheel. However, I can't say I was that different either when I made my V12 purchase. For starters, buying early batches of newly released wheel is guaranteed to cause headaches. Another biggie is that there is a learning curve to get to know a wheel. And after all that money and effort spent, there is still a high probability that you may still not like it.

I myself have been looking for a wheel for a while now. But I still haven't been able to nail one down. It is almost impossible to be sure, a priori, that the right one is bought.

I have a feeling with euc's, one just have to buy and try, until the one is found.

Yes I think so. It’s like fitting a shoe. A shoe that might be amazing for someone might suck for you and vice versa. As for finding the right wheel, I got a used v11 today and although I am in the “cautious testing” phase, I am loving it so far!

Edit: And yes I spent time with the s18 and rode it as much as possible to get used to it. With the v11, I felt like I didn’t have to spend much time with it to know I like it. Or maybe my riding experience with the s18 helped me get ready for the v11. It’s as if the v11 is what the s18 should have been like imho.

Edited by 360rumors

3 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

Yes I think so. It’s like fitting a shoe. A shoe that might be amazing for someone might suck for you and vice versa. As for finding the right wheel, I got a used v11 today and although I am in the “cautious testing” phase, I am loving it so far!

That is really good news. You are already liking it during the learning phase of a new wheel. And to boot, the V11 high pedals and weight can make it seem less rider friendly at first. Interesting.

Of the two wheels, S18 and V11, which one felt more stable, and which one felt more planted, secure?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

That is really good news. You are already liking it during the learning phase of a new wheel. And to boot, the V11 high pedals and weight can make it seem less rider friendly at first. Interesting.

Of the two wheels, S18 and V11, which one felt more stable, and which one felt more planted, secure?

V11 is much more stable so far. It feels very smooth, predictable and gradual, like riding a luxury car. I haven’t felt the slightest wobble but the fastest I’ve gone is only about 17mph so far (still testing it gradually). Fwiw with my s18 I sometimes get wobbles even at that speed, or when I slow down. I have to keep carving on my s18 to avoid wobbles. Not sure if all s18 are like that…

Incidentally, my son just learned how to ride (barely). I might invite him to try it to see what a total beginner thinks. He learned on the Tesla and felt very uncomfortable with s18. 

Edited by 360rumors
  • Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 6:41 PM, 360rumors said:

intended use:

thanks in advance. 

First off, welcome to the EUC hobby, it is great to have you. Going by your intended use, I think the V11 would be a good vehicle for you. I say this because imo (after owning all these wheels you mentioned) the V11 just has the best bang for your buck for YOUR intended use (plus higher off the ground seated feeling).  RS19 is also a good option, but without suspension. 

Edited by CyberV0LT
  • Like 1

thanks @CyberV0LT  It so happens that I bought a v11 and just got it today. And you are right that it is better for me than s18. (Can’t comment about RS since I haven’t tried it). Thanks again!

11 hours ago, 360rumors said:

Yes I bought a used one. 

6 hours ago, 360rumors said:

As it happens I also got the v11 today. Also used.

Godamnit, sometimes you just have to be envious! Kids these days have it so good! Back in my day, we had to make good with one wheel that could go 10mph and every ride was uphills both ways, blah blah blah;)

Congratulations on the nice wheels! Looks like you went with the classic "Why not both?" option. Maybe a good price used RS is coming your way soon, to complete your stable;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 360rumors said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. All of the wheels I got were used. As it happens I also got the v11 today. Also used. And although I haven’t gone anywhere near its limits, I already find it excellent and I prefer it to the s18 in every way except style, weight, and charging time.

NP, I was just joking around. Well mostly anyway ;).

Congrats on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Godamnit, sometimes you just have to be envious! Kids these days have it so good! Back in my day, we had to make good with one wheel that could go 10mph and every ride was uphills both ways, blah blah blah;)

Congratulations on the nice wheels! Looks like you went with the classic "Why not both?" option. Maybe a good price used RS is coming your way soon, to complete your stable;)

Thanks! It just so happened that I found a really good deal that I couldn’t pass up. I was planning to sell one eventually so now I have to choose. So far I think I will end up selling the s18 unless it can earn its keep for rentals.

funny re RS because I am still thinking of RS resolute. But trying to avoid its siren call. 

Edited by 360rumors

@techyiam just to follow up on my earlier response re stability, today I took v11 to around 23 mph (my highest speed ever was 25mph on the Tesla). Ive only had a couple of miles on it but I felt ok to go to this speed because the v11 was very stable and confidence inspiring.

On my other wheels if I was over 20mph I would fear hitting a small rock or whatever that would cause a speed wobble. This one I didn’t feel that way because it felt very stable.  The most it did was a very slow wobble a couple of times. So slow and mild that I don’t think it really counts as a wobble. But I never felt like I could lose control at any moment unlike s18. 

Edited by 360rumors
  • Like 2