Begode RS vs inmotion v11 vs kingsong s18

Hey my S22 just got here!  Man, the box is way heavier than I anticipated but I still think it'll be easier to lug it into the back of my Prius compared with my electric fat tire bike :)

Now I just have to order my safety gear and figure out how to ride this thing.  I've ridden Segways quite a bit but I doubt that this is the same thing at all.

26 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Hey my S22 just got here!

Congrats.

26 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

figure out how to ride this thing.  I've ridden Segways quite a bit but I doubt that this is the same thing at all.

Sorry to rain on your parade. You in no way bought a learner's wheel. But then you already knew that. If you are a big guy, you may be in a better position. It is a heavy beast to start learning on. You may want to lower the height of the pedals a whole bunch.

Until you get going, it is going to be tough going.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Congrats.

Sorry to rain on your parade. You in no way bought a learner's wheel. But then you already knew that. If you are a big guy, you may be in a better position. It is a heavy beast to start learning on. You may want to lower the height of the pedals a whole bunch.

Until you get going, it is going to be tough going.

Ha yeah well the funny thing is I'm sure you're right.  I just knew this was the wheel i definitely wanted to get and I don't have a lot of room to store 2 wheels in the future.  I know the suspension ones are harder to learn but I'll mostly be cruising around in parks and over grass.  It'll be at least several weeks I think before I feel comfortable enough to go 20 to 25 mph on the road and I'll probably never take it up to 40.  I'm about 200 lbs with pretty strong legs although I have no idea if that's a benefit for this

48 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I'm about 200 lbs with pretty strong legs although I have no idea if that's a benefit for this

This should help on a heavy wheel, since it would require more strength to keep balance, especially at an early stage.

The following is strictly my opinion. I believe that most humans can implicit learn to ride a vehicle that needs to be balanced by the rider. However, that balancing skill comes via some basic techniques, lots and lots of practice, and many many small steps. Also some of your leg muscles that are not usually stressed will now be developing and getting stronger slowly.

If you are starting from scratch, the gap may be too big. So how do you mitigate this? For starters, don't free mount at the early stages.

After you get a feel for the wheel, standing on it while holding onto something, you will eventually have to learn to move from point A to B. The trick here is to get your body to learn implicitly, a baby step at a time, balancing your wheel. To do this, you would need to accelerate to a fast enough speed so that the wheel's gyro is  helping you, while you fight for balance as you travel from point A to B. Eventually, you will able to ride the wheel at this speed. You will have to repeat this process over and over again until you can ride below 5 km/h or slower. From the very beginning, Point A to B may only be 5 feet or so. You have to learn to accelerate and brake first. Once, you are more comfortable, you can stretch out to ten or so feet. Also, in parallel at later stages, you can go into alley ways, or empty spaces for longer distances. Mind you, there are many advice and videos out there. So consult those also before you start. I took a more conservative approach because I didn't want to get hurt. A lot of people just go for it. Once you catch on, there is no going back.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, techyiam said:

This should help on a heavy wheel, since it would require more strength to keep balance, especially at an early stage.

The following is strictly my opinion. I believe that most humans can implicit learn to ride a vehicle that needs to be balanced by the rider. However, that balancing skill comes via some basic technique, lots and lots of practice, and many many small steps. Also some of your leg muscles that are not usually stressed will now be developing and getting stronger slowly.

If you are starting from scratch, the gap may be too big. So how do you mitigate this? For starters, don't free mount at the early stages.

After you get a feel for the wheel, standing on it while holding onto something, you will eventually have to learn to move from point A to B. The trick here is to get your body to learn implicitly, a baby step at a time, balancing your wheel. To do this, you would need to accelerate to a fast enough speed so that the wheel's gyro is  helping you, while you fight for balance as you travel from point A to B. Eventually, you will able to ride the wheel at this speed. You will have to repeat this process over and over again until you can ride below 5 km/h or slower. From the very beginning, Point A to B may only be 5 feet or so. You have to learn to accelerate and brake first. Once, you are more comfortable, you can stretch out to ten or so feet. Also, in parallel at later stages, you can go into alley ways, or empty spaces for longer distances. Mind you, there are many advice and videos out there. So consult those also before you start. I took a more conservative approach because I didn't want to get hurt. A lot of people just go for it. Once you catch on, there is no going back.

Thanks for all the great advice!  I'm in no hurry to become good at this.  If it takes a few months until i can street ride then that's no problem.  But I am tremendously excited to be able to cruise around and do some light offroading.

I was piling stuff in my Amazon cart - Wrist Guards, Knee and Shin Guards, Elbow guards - but I think I'm going to get custom Aerostitch stealth armor with the hard shell upgrade as recommended by ShanesPlanet. That would replace all the other protective gear right?

I was going to get a Bell Super 3R MIPS helmet but I think I want something more protective.  I'm going to probably just go to a motorcycle store to try some on.

Edited by Luke Skywalker

31 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I was piling stuff in my Amazon cart - Wrist Guards, Knee and Shin Guards, Elbow guards - but I think I'm going to get custom Aerostitch stealth armor with the hard shell upgrade as recommended by ShanesPlanet. That would replace all the other protective gear right?

I was going to get a Bell Super 3R MIPS helmet but I think I want something more protective.  I'm going to probably just go to a motorcycle store to try some on.

Sorry, I am not well verse with gear. I won't be able to help you much here.

Having said that, I have been riding motorcycles for some decades with a full face helmet. So I got use to it, and continue to use it on euc's. I know it works.

I am not familiar with the Aerostitch Stealth Hard Armor suit. I think protection for your knees and elbows are critical. But you would still need wrist guards.

Also, gear is only protective if you use them.

Personally, to learn, I would get a full face helmet, knee pads, and wrist guards. Of course more is better, if you are going to wear them. 

Later, when you are ready for the road, you would want all the protection you are willing to wear. There are just too many unexpected ways to get hurt while riding an euc. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

I will say, as someone who bought 2 cheaper full MC helmets and ended up having to send both back for varying reasons, remember that full MC helmets are heavy and bulky, and restrict your vision and hearing, and ability to speak, more than they need to for EUCing. I seriously recommend getting something like a Predator or TSG Pass Pro, which have all the good bits of full MC helms, but are half the weight, much better visibility, less stuffy and bulky, look cooler, and less neck-ache ! More expensive, but well worth it.

I got my TSG in anticipation of my new Master, but it's such a pleasure to wear I still do so on my current wheel even though that doesn't really do speeds that demand it !

CBR

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Sorry, I am not well verse with gear. I won't be able to help you much here.

Having said that, I have been riding motorcycles for some decades with a full face helmet. So I got use to it, and continue to use it on euc's. I know it works.

I am not familiar with the Aerostitch Stealth Hard Armor suit. I think protection for your knees and elbows are critical. But you would still need wrist guards.

Also, gear is only protective if you use them.

Personally, to learn, I would get a full face helmet, knee pads, and wrist guards. Of course more is better, if you are going to wear them. 

Later, when you are ready for the road, you would want all the protection you are willing to wear. There are just too many unexpected ways to get hurt while riding an euc. 

Hey thanks for the advice.  Here is the gear I've come up with so far:

image.thumb.png.e593b184f32f375e52b672a310162a05.png

38 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I will say, as someone who bought 2 cheaper full MC helmets and ended up having to send both back for varying reasons, remember that full MC helmets are heavy and bulky, and restrict your vision and hearing, and ability to speak, more than they need to for EUCing. I seriously recommend getting something like a Predator or TSG Pass Pro, which have all the good bits of full MC helms, but are half the weight, much better visibility, less stuffy and bulky, look cooler, and less neck-ache ! More expensive, but well worth it.

I got my TSG in anticipation of my new Master, but it's such a pleasure to wear I still do so on my current wheel even though that doesn't really do speeds that demand it !

CBR

Ha I hadn't even thought of the weight factor for a helmet. I'm having trouble finding the "predator" helmet (keeps bringing up ones that look like the alien from the movie)

Do you happen to have a link to the TSG you bought?  I found this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/TSG-Skateboarding-Skating-Onewheeling-Longboarding/dp/B09FTCRG3G/

image.png.2072c0e8039b04e9f714d256463568fe.png

Yep - all those look fine. The helmet will be even lighter than the TSG or Predator  and you have good airflow in that. The only thing I have the same as you is the Leatt knee / shin guards, which are properly decent, and have saved my shins many a time whilst remaining very comfortable and light. 

6 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I'm having trouble finding the "predator" helmet

Search Predator DH6-Xg ;)

And maybe watch this !

CBR

Edited by Cerbera

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Yep - all those look fine. The helmet will be even lighter than the TSG or Predator  and you have good airflow in that. The only thing I have the same as you is the Leatt knee / shin guards, which are properly decent, and have saved my shins many a time whilst remaining very comfortable and light. 

Dude you're awesome thanks.  Would you recommend getting any of the gear you have instead of the ones on my list?  Anything I forgot?

The Begode Master looks incredible.  It was hard to decide between that and the S22

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Predator DH6-Xg

That one looks great too but I think I'll go with the TSG.  It also looks like it might be much better for skiing than the helmet I currently use.  I have spherical goggles and the visor on the TSG looks very similar

• Like 1

You're welcome :) I am still awaiting my Master, but have just done a round of upgrades on my armour in prep for its arrival. That included upgrading from 'no helmet' to TSG pass, replacing cheap shitty kneepads with the leatts, and swapping all my upper body gear for a decent 661 upper armour pressure suit with chest and back crush prevention. I can't remember exactly what model that is, but it looks like this one...

661.thumb.jpg.bde14891e0995037f7aa55b68b18abe7.jpg

I kept my existing wrist braces, and cycling gloves.

CBR

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

Oh - I didn't see any footwear on your list. Your ankles ARE gonna get hammered by those heavy metal spiked pedals at some point. Even though relatively expensive, I find proper MC boots very helpful to us EUC guys, as they come with epic ankle and heel padding, extend up the shin and calf and add a lot of comfort and protection to the ride in a way that regular shoes / trainers don't. They also provide an extra cushion between inner legs and wheel, so you don't have to grip as hard in the learning stages. Very good for angry pursuing dogs too, who always target the ankles ;)

CBR

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Oh - I didn't see any footwear on your list. Your ankles ARE gonna get hammered by those heavy metal spiked pedals at some point. Even though relatively expensive, I find proper MC boots very helpful to us EUC guys, as they come with epic ankle and heel padding, extend up the shin and calf and add a lot of comfort and protection to the ride in a way that regular shoes / trainers don't. They also provide an extra cushion between inner legs and wheel, so you don't have to grip as hard in the learning stages. Very good for angry pursuing dogs too, who always target the ankles ;)

CBR

Sure, footwear sounds like a great idea.  I’m not concerned about cost and that’s better than my half a$$ed idea to wear hiking boots…

What’re the best kind of MC boots to get?  I’d still need the Leatt knee and shin guards, right?

Sounds like I need to get gloves too.  What kind do you use?  You still use wrist guards too, right?

That body armor looks wicked. Although if I get that too, I go back to the idea of getting custom fitted Aerostich motorcycle armor + boots and gloves

https://www.aerostich.com/suits/r-3/men-s-stealth-r-3-one-piece-suit.html

image.png.4f334bcd978f2924e86ecdda7307f79e.png

On 7/13/2022 at 7:53 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

What’re the best kind of MC boots to get?  I’d still need the Leatt knee and shin guards, right?

Yes, the leatt tuck nicely into MC boots, which are quite wide at the top. I bought these ones, which are still going strong 5 years later !

See those grey bits - those are ultra hard pads, perfectly placed for when we are hanging off the pedals, and go round a corner a bit too tightly ! They slide rather than dig in, which means you are far less likely to be un-footed because of it. Also extra thick ankle pads on the outside where the angry dogs are, yet not on the inside, where they might interfere with your contact to the wheel.

These exact ones don't seem to be available any more, but hopefully you'll get the sort of thing you need. This is the modern equivalent, but it doesn't have the toe sliders.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:53 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Sounds like I need to get gloves too.  What kind do you use?  You still use wrist guards too, right?

In the summer I use regular cycle gloves (skeleton print ones to a) maintain black and white look and b) to make it clear to pedestrians which way I am pointing and in the Winter I use regular lined leather gloves that are slim enough to fit under my wrist guards. but I also like these sort of BMX gloves which have thicker padding and are grippier than both the other options.

CBR

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, conecones said:

I don't want to be that guy that tries to tell you how to spend your money, but if you're just starting out, a basic set of wrist, elbow, knee pads + a full face MTB helmet is all you truly need. The helmets with a visor will just get in your way since it looks like you're going to take your time learning and enjoy the journey of becoming one with the wheel, so there is no need to dress like you are hitting the tarmac at 100mph. Note about the motocross boots - I don't recommend these if starting out because they take away your ability to feel the pedals. Sure you can learn with them but you'll just learn slower. Also you should just accept that if you're set on this hobby, one wheel to "do it all" is not realistic, and neither is one set of protective gear. You WILL want options.

That said, I haven't seen a single decent rider that puts on a full motorcycle track suit + motorcycle helmet + motorcycle boots to ride EUC, it is just way too cumbersome and unnecessary. To me, if you feel that amount of gear is necessary especially if learning at parks riding on grass, then your mind is in the wrong place and maybe EUC is too dangerous.

Oh hey I didn't take it that way at all.  I appreciate you taking the time to write all this to help me out.  I think you're right and I am going a little overboard with all this stuff.  The thing is... I don't want money to be one of the factors to consider.  If something gives me a little more protection and doesn't take away from the enjoyment and experience, I'll probably just get it.

... And I definitely plan on getting more wheels.  When we go on vacation to the beach, I'd love to have a light wheel to cruise around on even if it tops out at 20 mph.

I also could see the possibility that I really will want to go faster down the road and maybe I'll want a huge wheel that's better for cruising

Edited by Luke Skywalker

I think we will see more and more people in full body suits as wheels get more powerful and faster. Whilst we were still whiffling about on grass with 11 kph airwheels wrist braces alone might have done it, but to get on one of these modern power-houses / speed machines with anything less than all joints protected might be optimism to the point of foolishness I reckon... crashing REALLY hurts if you haven't got the gear. I'll take 10 mins of hassle in the getting ready over that pain every time ! It's a lovely feeling if you go down hard, and nothing hurts afterwards !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I think we will see more and more people in full body suits as wheels get more powerful and faster. Whilst we were still whiffling about on grass with 11 kph airwheels wrist braces alone might have done it, but to get on one of these modern power-houses / speed machines with anything less than all joints protected might be optimism to the point of foolishness I reckon... crashing REALLY hurts if you haven't got the gear. I'll take 10 mins of hassle in the getting ready over that pain every time ! It's a lovely feeling if you go down hard, and nothing hurts afterwards !

Ya this guy Shane originally told me about the custom fitted Aerostich suits and also ones made by KLIM.  I just love the idea of being fully dressed in like 1 minute flat, not having to figure out all this different gear, and knowing that there is no better protection than what I'm wearing.

I think at that point all I'd need would be boots and the "TSG - Pass Pro Full-face Helmet" helmet. 

3 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I think at that point all I'd need would be boots and the "TSG - Pass Pro Full-face Helmet" helmet. 

And wrist braces, which is the one thing these suits don't usually come with...

CBR

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I think at that point all I'd need would be boots

Personally, I have found that a stout set of hiking boots is sufficient unless you're planning to ride like wattssingletrack... this becomes true after you've gotten about a hundred miles behind your wheel. Learning means a high probability of ankle bites and they suck, but elcheapo soccer shin guards do a pretty good job. And once you're a reasonably competent rider, you won't need them anymore.

If you're not a hard core off roader, moto boots are likely more than you need. If you're a pavement rider, it's debatable if you even need hiking boots. I wear hiking boots to reduce the chance of a turned ankle and to protect my achilles... and I ride trails. I'm not riding anywhere near the level of the really good riders, so while I'm looking into better footwear, I'm not 100% sure it's necessary. I just don't go that fast, nor to I drop those kinds of drops.

HOWEVER. Don't listen to me. Do what makes you comfortable. You won't fully enjoy what you're doing if you're not in a good place with the risk equation, so I encourage everybody to do what they deem right. Too much gear, not enough gear—only you can know for you!

12 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Would you recommend getting any of the gear you have instead of the ones on my list?  Anything I forgot?

Great list, 4 out of 5 :) !

The fifth point missing is eyewear! You mention you have goggles, and they should fit the bill. I have IXS goggles but never wear them, instead I prefer light cycling glasses even when off-roading.

Like others have said, footwear deserves a thought. While learning the basics many people bruise their shins and calfs (not from crashing but from sidewall pressure while riding). This is solved by cheap soccer shin armor, rotated to the inside of the leg where it touches the EUC. You will probably only need them for a week or two while learning to balance (or you can forego this and will through the pain). While learning I used standard low sneakers + these ankle guards, which I still use when off-roading. They protect from most ankle bites (I learned on a 15kg EUC, I hate to imagine a pedal strike from a 35kg behemoth). The lowcut footwear +ankle guard combo is less hot and more versatile than ankle (or taller) boots. I commute a lot and particularly appreciate the convenience of not changing footwear on arrival.

The Flexmeters are considered the best wristguards in the business and I also use them. Surprisingly I find myself rarely wearing them: during cold/mild weather I wear a motorcycle jacket and the flexmeters barely fit into the sleeves. And in hot weather they are very hot :). They are also generally a bit cumbersome and take time to take on and off. So I wear basic wrist guards instead (wearing them over mc gloves in not so hot weather). Moreover, the flexmeters are long and may slightly interfere with your elbow guards a bit. They do interfere with my Leatt 3DF 6.0 elbow guards, but not problematically so.

Leatt dual axis are fantastic: great protection and a charm to get on and off (counterintuitively much more convenient than smaller kneeguards; i wear them both over and under pants, depending on the pant).

The helmet is also great, I find the downhill MTB helmet perfect for most EUC use cases. I have a similar one (IXS Trigger FF) and also the TSG pass. I only wear the TSG in cold weather. The IXS offers much better vision, ventilation, hearing, almost half the weight and easier to take on and off (the TSG comes with the trusty but archaic double D-ring closure, while the IXS has a magnetic fidlock). I would consider motorcycle helmets only for when you decide to break your vow and go for 40+mph.

• Like 3