Newbie questions on Ninebot One

Luv2Play

Hi...new to this forum and to electric unicycles.  I'm 62 yr old women who thought this would be fun.  It scares the "he double toothpicks" out of me but I still like it!   Should I squeeze my ankles against the ninebot? I don't have strong core muscles...do you need that to try and make a quick 90 degree turn?  (still too  nervous to try this)

Can anyone explain what  "riding model" hard -> soft    is for on the machine?

What does  "brake light switch" choice of either 0 or 1 or maybe it's an  o and I  ????

Any riding tips would also be appreciated.  I've crashed many times!!

(Linda)

You don't need to squeeze anything unless you plan on jumping up a curb... ; ) to turn you are only really shifting weight to one side or 'push' down a little on the pedal, the way you want to go... The other mode options, your on your own, me no have nb, gosh darn...

My advice is to just try to relax yourself and your legs while learning and in no time you'll work out what's most comfortable for you and what works for you.

The faster you grow confidence in the unicycle that it will support you and react to your controls, the quicker you will become one with the unicycle :)  and get the hang of it.

What does  "brake light switch" choice of either 0 or 1 or maybe it's an  o and I  ????

Welcome to the forum. 

Riding Mode

Hard = 0 ------------------ 9 = Soft

I ride with "0" setting as it has a looser feel that I'm comfortable with. "9" is a little bit sluggish to control but I rode in that mode too and it felt just fine for me. You might want to start out with a setting of 3 or 4 till you're a little more comfortable with your wheel. The more you ride the better the understanding you'll have with your body balance, wheel capabilities, and your surroundings (ground, obstacles, wind/rain) and how to control yourself on it. Play with your settings as you gain experience. 

Brake Light Switch

On / Off

When on, it turns the back half of your LED lights RED when braking (leaning back) like a car.

Hope that helps. :)

THANKS!!!!  I'll play around with the "Riding Mode"    and  nice to know what the Brake Light Switch is!

Getting better and gaining a little confidence each day thanks to suggestions I've read on this site.

I've ridden it to the grocery store a few times now.  Sooooo funny cuz when I know people are watching me try to get on the thing I tend to screw it up.  Takes around 4 tries to finally get on.  Looking forward to the day that is routine!

Hi...new to this forum and to electric unicycles.  I'm 62 yr old women who thought this would be fun.  It scares the "he double toothpicks" out of me but I still like it!   Should I squeeze my ankles against the ninebot? I don't have strong core muscles...do you need that to try and make a quick 90 degree turn?  (still too  nervous to try this)

Any riding tips would also be appreciated.  I've crashed many times!!

(Linda)

At first I squeezed the wheel with my ankles, but after my balance got better I noticed that I don't need to (and it's more comfortable not squeezing). Only time I squeeze the wheel is when going up or down a curb or some smaller obstacle/slope/more uneven spot. This is mostly just to prevent my feet from moving on the pedals.

About turning:

For quick 90 degree turn (in very slow speed or almost in-place) I've twisted my upper torso to the direction and then kind of swing the wheel with my lower torso/legs, might be a bit hard to explain. No need to squeeze the wheel, just make sure your feet stay on the pedals.

For tight turning in a bit higher, but still slow speed, I tilt the wheel a bit sideways by leaning very slightly on the direction I want to turn to, shifting more weight to one foot and lifting the other foot a bit, so the wheel tilts a little more than my body... would probably need to take or draw a picture so it would be more clear what I mean.

In faster speeds you can just lean to turn (keeping your body/legs parallel to the pedals), like riding a bicycle or motorcycle in higher speeds.

For other riding tips, personally I've noticed that my foot position (more front or more back or in the middle, front-to-back -wise, not sideways) affects the riding a lot, and uncomfortable/uneven footing of course makes it a lot harder. Try with your foot in different position to find a comfortable position for your feet, so that you're standing firmly on the pedals, and feel that it's easy to shift your weight to control the acceleration/deceleration.

Not sure if I'm the best person to be instructing anyone yet though, today was my 7th day riding, and it's getting there, far from perfect, but getting better each day. Just need to keep practicing.

THANKS!!!!  I'll play around with the "Riding Mode"    and  nice to know what the Brake Light Switch is!

Getting better and gaining a little confidence each day thanks to suggestions I've read on this site.

I've ridden it to the grocery store a few times now.  Sooooo funny cuz when I know people are watching me try to get on the thing I tend to screw it up.  Takes around 4 tries to finally get on.  Looking forward to the day that is routine!

The pressure from people looking at you does funny things, I can get on with the 1st try ALMOST every time now, but of course when doing it in front of a friend, I failed a couple of times in a row and suddenly it felt very difficult... ;)

• 2 months later...

It's a direct drive hub motor, no gears in it.

Very few wheels use gears now as they have been found to add extra complication and wear points which has an impact on reliability.

And the answer is that the Ninebot E has no gears anywhere in it!

This is "Newbie questions on the Ninebot One" though and we don't normally talk much about two wheeled Segway type machines on this "electric unicycle" forum.

And the answer is that the Ninebot E has no gears anywhere in it!

This is "Newbie questions on the Ninebot One" though and we don't normally talk much about two wheeled Segway type machines on this "electric unicycle" forum.

It has gearbox

It has gearbox

The Ninebot E has 2 x 1350w brushless motors, one in each wheel hub. The controls are all electronic and there is no need for a gearbox.

What makes you insist that it has one?

The fact that you "couldn't find anything on the net" about a gearbox that doesn't exist is no surprise.

Archived