How far would you ride an EUC for errands before you would use a car instead?

360rumors

25 minutes ago, Paul A said:

@360rumors

As well as carrying 20 ft ladders, Member WinterWheel has the name for good reason.

😮😮😮

4 hours ago, Paul A said:

Don't need home delivery if you have an EUC......:D

@supercurio did something similar and transported a mattress home with his wheel. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Paul A said:

@360rumors

As well as carrying 20 ft ladders, Member WinterWheel has the name for good reason.

One of his YouTube videos shows why.

I'm not even the most winterwheeler in my town anymore, that crown goes to another guy in my group who commutes twice as far and into a part of town that has paths that are rarely plowed before he has to ride them to work. He has a better wheel though, the Sherman with a knobby proved to be a winter champ. The bearings on my poor first-batch RS and EX wheels don't survive long in winter conditions.

• Like 2

I'm fortunate enough to live in a small city where everything is within reach on an EUC, with 90% bike-lane coverage. The other 10% is on very lonely neighborhood streets with little to no traffic.

Longest distance from tip to tip in the city is 8Km 🤣.

So I do ride everywhere with my wheel unless I need some serious cargo space (buying heavy equipment from the store, going to a different city, etc.).

It's just too convenient. Takes no space in the house. Takes no space in the office. The price per kilometer is way cheaper than on the car. You spend way less time in traffic. The fun factor is higher for a lot of us also...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carlitos said:

I'm fortunate enough to live in a small city where everything is within reach on an EUC

wow sounds like a perfect city for EUC riders!

Edited by 360rumors

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the city.  My usual ride to pick things up is like 5 minutes.  If I could get to a place without too much city street riding, I'd consider 10 - 15 minutes though.  It's always a rewarding feeling to jump on my wheel and run an errand without having to fire up my truck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WillieP said:

It's always a rewarding feeling to jump on my wheel and run an errand without having to fire up my truck!

With gas prices these days, we also get rewarded financially :D

• Like 1

I just did a milk run last night on my V8S: nearly 5 miles round trip with an insulated shoulder bag (also got a pint of ice cream). Total time was 25 minutes I think so the car would have been faster but so what. I hate the idea of firing up the car just to move it to a parking lot that’s basically around the corner. So I guess for me, it’s basically about hauling a load. I’m already too heavy for my wheel. 

If I lived in the city, I would get rid of my car. Parking, gas, more parking, traffic, energy use, smog, noise, safety, on and on. Even in the suburbs where I am now I don’t drive to work. Either I take my wheel on the bus or train, or I ride the motorcycle if I have to work late. Transit here is only for 9-5 commuters; there’s no off-peak. That means on days when I take transit, I have my wheel to move around in the city for lunch, errands, whatever I need. It’s fantastic! On days with the motorcycle I feel a lot less able to get around. 

@ShanesPlanet I know your situation well. I lived for two years in Spring Lake, NC. I was lucky there was shopping right outside the neighborhood with grocery, fast food, etc. but anything else was 10 miles or more on country hwy.

Edited by agranner
  • Like 2

A maximum of how far I'm willing to ride EUC on an errand (or commuting) even with a car alternative is "as far as my battery gets me for a roundtrip." :D Which means anywhere in my city. And when I account in for parking difficulties (time and cost), I do not use the car unless I need to transport some cargo. If the weather is bad, I may use public transport instead. For most of my errands, it would be still as fast or faster than the car (no parking and special lanes/tracks without other cars). 

But I prefer it even when the car would be faster, because it is way more fun. :-)

Also, I rarely do any larger grocery shopping when I can have a same-day delivery (or under 90 minutes express) for a comparable price, but with much less time spent. So I never need to carry a pack of milks and a bag of toilet papers.

• Like 1