16x for a fatso?

No1up

3 minutes ago, wstuart said:

What's deceiving g is the 16x really feels like it could do it.

And honestly, I think it really could too—it's a 6p battery configuration. I'm not sure why KS hasn't bothered to tweak the firmware so it's actually "safer" at speed. I do think they are shutting it down earlier than they need to, but I don't work there so it doesn't much matter!

Being a light rider, I probably could go faster than I do from a power standpoint (alarm at 25, tilt at 26), but my sense of self preservation finds it just a bit too squirrly.

1 hour ago, No1up said:

Well would 26 be good? I usually touch 28mph and back off. I don’t tend to ride at that speed sustained. My actual avg speed is like 16min lol. But on clean straights I push a little. I was debating an EXN but the Master just looks so good…  it the EXN is proven, idk 😭 I’d get the hero from alien rides but it runs the LG50 battery pack. 

I think 26 would be good.  Honestly when trying to predict what stresses the wheel, I try to imagine being on a bike.  Atnone point on my ride today I was on a sustained slight incline with a strong headwind.  I felt like the 16x had the power with sustain the 22-25mph I cruise at, but I just backed off out of an abundance of caution.  I thought man if I was on a bike this would be tough , so I'm gonna take it easy on the wheel.

Also I look at the current reading on EUC world.  If I see sustained 20+ amps I kind of back off.

I've found that the biggest jumps in amperage come from trying to accelerate  while going slightly uphill.  

• Like 1

I had a cutout on the 16x at 29 mph and I weigh 220lbs. For several months last year I consistently rode at 28-29 and even 30 a few times but this day I pushed just slightly to maintain speed up a slight incline. It instantly faceplanted me with no beeps or tiltback. Luckily I just started wearing a full face a few days prior but still had to get 16 stitches in my check bone from goggles, badly bruised right shoulder and pretty severe road rash. To this day I have PTSD when reaching the 30mph zone. I really wouldn’t push above 28, ever on the 16x and if going up inclines, lower speed even more. We all love to get as much speed as possible from our wheels but sometimes it’s just not worth it. Take this for what it’s worth, I tested the top speed of the 16x and lost. Just trying to save you pain or worse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Funky said:

Off topic..

But what would the "real" max speed for 18xl be then? also 27mph? As i'm riding 22-25mph nowadays.. And i'm much heavier 280lbs. Wanted to know if i'm not riding at my wheels limit.. :shock2: Doh i never have felt tilt back. As i always slow down, when i hear my speed alarm at 25mph.

Here's the rub of it all... There's not any REAL way of knowing. You could push and push and find when the limit was crossed. We tend to focus on speeds, but the limit is made of MANY more variables than that. Our weight, wind, incline, tire pressure, battery condition, battery age, battery voltage. What rider settings we use and HOW we individually use the power to keep us moving, per unique styles. Having said all that..

I find the sweet spot on the 18xl, feels about 24-26mph (by the wheel). It just feels like the motor and tire speed and wind resistance is all at an efficient rate. I would surmise that these speeds (prolly more like 22mph irl) are somewhat safe on a battery with more than half a charge. Again, this is a GROSS generalization, as our weights and terrain and battery age may differ. I blister along at about 29mph (stated) on the 18xl and dont worry. I am also just 125lbs. I keep my overhead monitor on eucw at 20% and dont hit it but VERY rarely(more often when I had an 18L).  For a man of your size, I would suspect that 24-26mph stated, is getting close to being considered 'not conservative'. Good news is that you are enjoying the 'premium speed zone' (I made that up) already. I would simply suggest to limit yourself to what you are already doing, and be mindful of keeping your batteries fully charged. Even more, you could record an eucw tour of your typical ride, and review the current  and overhead you use. It isnt tough to get used to riding with less abandon when over 20mph. I like to take off like a rocket, but anything over 25mph and I keep it nice and smooth. You know, like I have to drive my '92 camry... nice and smooth...

Fwiw, stock XL pads make it pretty tough to easily overlean the wheel. At least for me, I found that stock pads kept me from dipping below 30% overhead much at all. Once I installed some ShanesPads Micro, I easily get into the 20% overhead region. I am also hearing my wheel groan more during stopping. Stock pads are somewhat a secondary safety thing, so to speak. If you are using any kind of pads for leverage (along with weight shift), you may need to be especially mindful of reviewing tour data and what you are asking of the wheel. I havent overleaned mine yet, but I do fear that aftermarket pads and experience, is nudging me closer. Gotta be mindful tho, 'speed blindness' is VERY real and riding alongside cars or extended periods, makes it even more so. I keep a tiny watch on my handle that always displays speeds(more importantly, battery sag/voltage). It used to be easier to 'hear' the speeds, when KS wheels hummed. Nowadays, its a little easier to creep on up and not notice..

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

Well, o was thinking of picking up the hero from alien rides but they run the lg50 and ewheels will have the master and hero in July with the Samsung battery packs so I guess I’ll wait. I’m hoping I can enjoy the 16x until then. I’m not a hard rider but I do like to get to about 28-30 and pull back and hit it again.. unless maybe the v12 could handle that they v12 HT is coming in June but talk of it still having cut outs is going around. Doing a lot of reading on the EXN and RS19 and I just don’t feel like they are worth spending that kind of money on fun to ride but everything else suffers.

what would you guys suggest.. I want something that can do 23-33mph sustained for about 30-40 miles… screen would be nice, kick stand also, leds would be cool but not a must have, BT speakers seem to be crap on everything but nice to have. Suspension again nice to have but not needed. Good trolly handle, not something that will be junk in a few weeks. Good quality batteries, and good build quality. 

I’ve had a lot of wheels, and still feel like I know nothing lol. 

5 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Even more, you could record an eucw tour of your typical ride, and review the current  and overhead you use.

How do i do it? I simply leave "EUC World" connected to wheel, while riding? Or do i need to press something in "EUC World"?

(I really never use those programs.. I simply hup on wheel and go. I only check "voltage" at start/end of ride. And what exactly should i be looking at? And can you record the "journey" without internet? Or can you record it and when i come home, upload it somehow?)

25mph those speed are only at straight/flat asphalt. I normally don't go faster than 20mph. :D To me 20mph is already "fast".

Edited by Funky

6 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Does your Nik+ not handle this for you? "23-33mph sustained for about 30-40 miles"

I sold it a long time ago. 😂 I bought, rode, and sold a lot of wheels. My local group is 80% my old wheels lol 

2 hours ago, Funky said:

How do i do it? I simply leave "EUC World" connected to wheel, while riding? Or do i need to press something in "EUC World"?

(I really never use those programs.. I simply hup on wheel and go. I only check "voltage" at start/end of ride. And what exactly should i be looking at? And can you record the "journey" without internet? Or can you record it and when i come home, upload it somehow?)

25mph those speed are only at straight/flat asphalt. I normally don't go faster than 20mph. :D To me 20mph is already "fast".

Same with me.. on clean straights I’ll do a quick burst but usually I ride around low 20s. I have my alarm set to 28 so I’ll do a burst of speed hear the “please decelerate” and back off. On hills or anything sketchy I back off. I have my quick charger now so I can keep my battery topped up. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Funky said:

Tour data logging. Start a tour go ride and end a tour. You can review it online if you have it set to upload to server. its www.euc.world   You could also store and send a csv file, if you wanted to REALLY geek out on the data.

@No1up remember to try and let the batteries cool before charging after a ride and cool before riding, after a charge. Its not THAT big a deal, but it may help lengthen battery life.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 8:55 PM, No1up said:

Well I’ve been riding at 29 mph for a bit.. seems ok, guess we will find out. Waiting for the Master.

I just want to throw out that I am a 220-230 lb rider (w/o gear, but I admittedly wear little) on a 16x for over a year. After the learning phase I've had my tiltback set at 30 or 31 mph (can't remember) and don't think about it much.  When "commuting" I let the battery drain until I start getting kickbacks at my typical speeds (26-27 mph 30-40% battery?) and then I charge.

I've gone out for plenty of rides in the hot summer and teeter around 28-30 on nice smooth roads. I've always had beeps or kickback warn me. I also don't lean through bumps at high speed, whether I anticipate it or not I always return to a neutral position when navigating bumps on road at high speeds. I ride bicycles as well, so I know how much a hill sucks to ride up, so maybe I naturally take it a little easy, but I've had overpowered warnings and beeps in the past and I'm real quick to respect them. The only time I've had the wheel give out was when I was in some slow technical rocks and tried to lean through a bump where my wheel got stuck and I blew the fuses as it beeped. That was a fun 2.5 mile walk back home.

Just my 2 cents. I honestly ride with a lot more confidence when I stay off the internet and don't read the bad things that happen! :D Maybe I'm just sticking my head in the sand, but so far so good. Hopefully I'll be back out riding in SAT more often soon!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tazarinho said:

Just to put what I say in context, here are two older threads that new 16x owners might find useful:

Hide contents

It’s of those are from 2019. I have 79 miles on it and just have to keep in mind it’s not a sherman. I have my alarm set to 27 and tilt back at 30mph. I keep my high speed charger on me and top up when I can. So far so good. Really enjoying it. I never went over 33mph on my sherman so that’s a good speed for me. I would like to touch 30mph without worry so I have the master on pre order. My little party wheel and my “lets ride bitches!” Wheel. Lol