V-11 leaning forward or backward on start... strange spooky sounds... took 5 min to turn off the motor...

jmsjms

I am a V-11 user for over a year already. Today, when I turned it on, it leaned forward, and started to drag me forward. I turned it off, then on again; this time it was leaning backward, and started to drag me. It took more than a few seconds to turn off both times. Then turned it on again, and it kept leaning and started forcing me to spin with it. It was like trying to contain a wild animal on a leash; it tore off the bumper, and made a few tire marks on the concrete ground. I got away only with a minor ankle scratch. So, while I was holding the handle I approached a wall so it can at least slam onto it and wouldn't go anywhere. The automated voice kept saying something but I don't know what. It took about a minute to turn off. Then I went back home to plug it and see if something will happen or if the voice will alert me that something is wrong. No, it was already fully charged and there was no alert message. So, I went back outside, turned it on next to the wall, and it started leaning again and struggling; this time some spooky sounds started coming out of the motor. Turning on and off the headlight wouldn't be a problem, but turning off the motor wouldn't shut even when I kept the button down for like 10-15 seconds. So, it took about 5 minutes to shut off and I don't know how and why it decided to do so.... Okay, so is it over with the wheel? I lost confidence to try again.

• Sad 1

Strange and inconsistent behavior like this usually means there is something wrong with the board. I would get a new board.

You can always disassemble a bit and see if you see chafed motor wires or something else that shouldn't be, but to be truly sure your wheel is good, I think you will need a new board.

Is there any repair service which can maybe diagnose? If you bought from ewheels, they do that, for example.

• Upvote 2

Remind me: For the InMotion app to the access the wheel, I need to turn on the wheel, right? That's not good, because when I turn it on, then I will again have the same problem of the wheel wanting to move and not letting me shut it off. I've used the app only couple of times since purchase. I used it once about half year ago to upgrade to the latest firmware.

Just now, jmsjms said:

Remind me: For the InMotion app to the access the wheel, I need to turn on the wheel, right? That's not good, because when I turn it on, then I will again have the same problem of the wheel wanting to move and not letting me shut it off. I've used the app only couple of times since purchase. I used it once about half year ago to upgrade to the latest firmware.

No,  just plug the wheel in and the connection to the app can be made.

• Upvote 1

I forgot to reply: The following day I did diagnostic test, and it showed that everything was okay. Then I turned the wheel on and it was fine. I turned it on and off many times. Only one of the times its standing position seemed to be tilted about 5 degrees slightly toward the back; but I could be mistaken on that. Riding today was just fine as well.... I am wondering if the chamber pressure has something to do with it; I find it annoying to be taking off the panels and doing the chamber pressure, so the last time I did it was half year ago, and the shock absorption seems to be fine with me, so I haven't fiddled with the chamber pressure in half year.

Edited by jmsjms

On 5/15/2022 at 7:17 PM, jmsjms said:

it leaned forward, and started to drag me forward. I turned it off, then on again; this time it was leaning backward, and started to drag me. It took more than a few seconds to turn off both times. Then turned it on again, and it kept leaning and started forcing me to spin with it. It was like trying to contain a wild animal on a leash; it tore off the bumper, and made a few tire marks on the concrete ground. I got away only with a minor ankle scratch. So, while I was holding the handle I approached a wall so it can at least slam onto it and wouldn't go anywhere

turned it on next to the wall, and it started leaning again and struggling

I keep trying but I can’t figure out what you were doing in the above situations. Did you try to get on the wheel while it was tilting? Don’t do that. The wheel tilts to prevent you from riding because there is an error with the wheel.

If the wheel tilts when you turn it on, just lightly hold the handle and nothing else happens. It doesn’t drag you anywhere, and doesn’t create skid marks, unless you are somehow trying to fight against it. Which is a bad idea for any 2200W electric motor.

Never force the motor to fight against a wall, since that is the easiest way to blow a mosfet. Also, the wheel won’t turn off if the motor is working, for example pushing against a wall.

The wheel can tilt after a full charge if there is an overvoltage issue with the batteries. You can measure your charger to make sure it has the correct output, and you can get the wheel’s voltage reading calibrated remotely by Inmotion.

Did you do what Cecily suggested above?

• Upvote 1

Sorry for the delay. The issue I described on the first post hasn't happened again. What happens now every time is that after I use the wheel, accelerate and decelerate several times, when I come to a stop, the stance changes to about 5 degrees backward tilt (the front of the pedals raise a little higher). I can still use the wheel, but I am feeling the difference that the front of the pedals are slightly higher.

I started thinking that it might be due to the pressure in the suspension chambers, because in over one year of use I've checked the suspension setup only twice, but now I am finding out that the bottom red metal cap can't be unscrewed and I can't access the pump on one of the bottom suspension chambers. The other red cap is missing, while the one I am trying to unscrew is not moving. The way they designed it is that there's little left to the fingers to grab the metal and turn, and the stripping of the cap may be bad -- which is why it may not be turning at all. Don't know what to do... maybe spray it with a lubricant? Maybe I should start a new thread on that?

Edited by jmsjms

I've had this happen a few times before intermittently every few months. For me it's usually after riding. When  I connect the inmotion app while the wheel is in this state it says the batteries are out of calibration. Tap to calibrate. And everything is fine afterwards for a few months. 

• Like 1