For Fun or Strictly Commuting, Errands & Practical

KCo

I work from home (no commuting needs) and don't think I would use an EU to go shopping or to the coffee shop.  However, I want one just for fun.  I see reviews using words like magic carpet, gliding, floating, best thing ever, etc...and I want one! I'm sure it's fun to ride to the train compared to walking to the train, but I'm debating if I'll use it just to go for a ride with no practical purpose or need to go anywhere. I skateboarded for 20 years, so I'm confident I'll eventually get the hang of it, but will the fun wear off after 1-2 months? If you ride it to/from work everyday, do you ever just take it out on the weekends around the neighborhood because it's fun?

I feel like I can't stop thinking about it and am constantly reading posts, reviews, searching chinese websites, amazon, videos, etc...In order to maximize fun (speed) and safety (motor power), I don't think I want to go cheap.  That being said, $800 - $1,100 seems like a lot for what amounts to a toy for me.  

I'm looking at:

IPS T260 for $770 USD ($500 + $170 shipping to Chicago)

http://www.electricunicycleonline.com/ips-t260-electric-unicycle-motor-power-10000w-waterproof-ips-unicycle-wheel.html

IPS 132 for $1,100  USD ($985 + $114 shipping to Chicago)

http://www.wheelgo.com/product/new-ips-132-black/

Any of your thoughts on the subject (fun vs. commute) would be appreciated.  

If its mainly for fun then I highly recommend the Gotway Mten2. If you think you might want to go a distance on it get the 340Wh battery version and you will still only be paying about half of the 132 which is also a great euc, but for pure fun it's beaten hands down by the Mten2.

I can't speak from experience, since I'm still waiting for my first wheel (or actually wheelS, now), but here's what I'd suggest: first, get something cheap, like a "noname-generic-brand" -EUC for trying it out & practicing. If it turns out you don't like driving an EUC in general after some time, return it (if you can), or sell it forward in eBay or something (for something like $100 less than you paid for it, if it's still in good condition)... you haven't made that big of a loss at that point. If you like it, order the "actual" thing, and keep the cheap one for practicing and trying new tricks, so you don't bang up your better wheel trying something like learning going backwards or jumping curbs (or just sell the practice-piece, if you feel like it).

I don't recall if I've ever had such a "GOTTA HAVE ONE OF THOSE"-feeling as with EUCs, and I'm fairly sure I'm going to love it (I like bicycling and used to ride a motorcycle a lot, but motorcycling is really expensive here). What I've done currently is, I actually first ordered a Ninebot One E (that is to arrive maybe in a month or so), but since I'm so impatient, I contacted a fellow finnish EUC-rider in this board, and arranged for him to sell me one of his cheaper noname-wheels for a fair price. This way:

-I get to practice early on with a cheaper unit before the Ninebot arrives, and there's less chance I'll scratch/wreck the Ninebot (which is bound to happen sooner or later, but I'd prefer it not the be the very first test runs ;D)

-If I for some reason decide I don't like unicycling after all, I'll sell the cheap model onwards for a small loss (or return it to the seller, if he's still willing to take it, and I haven't banged it up), and have still time to cancel my Ninebot-order and get my money back, so basically I haven't lost that much (maybe even as little as post fees for sending the cheaper unit back and forth or fees + (the amount I paid for the cheap unit - what I sell it forwards for))

-If I like the noname-unit and unicycling in general, I'll keep it for practising, and have acquired at least some basic riding skills before the "real thing" arrives

Pretty much just my 2 cents...

Edit: My usage is going to be 99% fun, and maybe some small grocery-store runs (with a backpack) now and then. Like you, I work from home (at least most of the time, might need to pop at the office maybe twice a month). And I'm fairly sure I'm going to have lots of fun... ;)

I work from home (no commuting needs) and don't think I would use an EU to go shopping or to the coffee shop.  However, I want one just for fun.  I see reviews using words like magic carpet, gliding, floating, best thing ever, etc...and I want one! I'm sure it's fun to ride to the train compared to walking to the train, but I'm debating if I'll use it just to go for a ride with no practical purpose or need to go anywhere. I skateboarded for 20 years, so I'm confident I'll eventually get the hang of it, but will the fun wear off after 1-2 months? If you ride it to/from work everyday, do you ever just take it out on the weekends around the neighborhood because it's fun?

I can only speak for myself of course, but in my experience, the FUN of riding an EU does NOT wear off easily :)  :)

I have had my Solowheel since June 3rd last year, so today is my 333th day of ownership and I have ridden about 2500 km/1555 miles on it (I keep track track or rides in an spreadsheet).

I STILL go out to ride the Solowheel  just for the fun of it. I actually do use it for commuting the last part of the trip to work, mainly because it saves me me money (avoiding parking fees), so it is something that I use practically every day.

And yes, I DO use it for going shopping or a quick errands. Even in the supermarket, I ride it (slowly) in between the isles.

And if the weather is nice I often go out and just ride through town for half an hour just, zig-zagging among pedestrians and other traffic.

MvM, do you not get any trouble from security officers in supermarkets?

It depends very much.

There are two supermarket that I visit several times a week. I usually am there either early in the morning or after work in the evening.

Usually, it's not so busy at that time and so far, I have had only ONCE a comment that it was not allowed. Usually, I just glide among the shoppers and practically nobody seems to be annoyed. Some don't even notice it.

In other shops like warehouses, there is usually a security officers who asks me not to use it (friendly) just like they would not allow someone on a skateboard in the shop. In those cases, I just carry my Solowheel.

SerpentineGX,

How is your wheel doing?. Have you figured out what made you fall few days ago? Did it happen again?

Still haven't figured out what happened. Hasn't happened again. The wheel is running just fine. I chalked it up to just one of "those" things. When I ride, though, it's still in the back of my mind it could happen again. I just play it a little safer.

Still haven't figured out what happened. Hasn't happened again. The wheel is running just fine. I chalked it up to just one of "those" things. When I ride, though, it's still in the back of my mind it could happen again. I just play it a little safer.

That's only smart.

I have had only ONE serious fall in all 337 days of ownership.

Came around a corner on a bright day with a bit of wind. Leaned forward to make more speed and literally fell flat forward on my face. I had a vest on with my hands in my pockets and couldn't get them out quickly enough. Had a hole in my chin which required stitching and an elbow than I walked around with in a sling for three weeks. And a very bruised ego of course as well  :)

My elbow is still not 100% so that's where an elbow protector might have helped. The elbow (like the knee) is a very complicated joint and when things break there, you can actually get handicapped for the rest of your life.

Am sitll not using protection though. But I am more careful when I ride.

It feels odd to put all your protective gear once your master your wheel. Especially commuting in business attire. I'm OK with helmet all the time. May be bike gloves. But again reading from your experiences, any thing can happen anytime to any wheel. Some times scary to think about it. Hope manufacturers make them  fool proof without any glitches. But again I cannot trust clones that don't do rigorous testing. Fingers crossed. 

The scariness is all part of the excitement. I'm hoping to feel a little bit of an adrenaline buzz & 'instinct reactivity' everytime I use my wheel when it comes.

Once I get confident enough to go fast off-road (like Vee) I may consider buying safety with equipment.

I took Gimlet's advice and ordered a Gotway Mten2.  It arrived tonight and it's awesome!  I contacted Kevin Lee (kevin.lee@silverland.com.hk) and Jane Mo (jane.ebicycle@gmail.com) with a few questions.  Both responded quickly.  I ordered from Kevin Lee because his shipping was half of Jane's quote ($200 vs. $400 to Chicago).  I had several more questions and Kevin was extremely helpful, responsive and kept me informed on the status of my EU throughout the 10 day process from payment to delivery.  

Big "thank you!!!" to Gimlet for pointing me in this direction.  I was set on buying a 16" wheel and would have thought a 10" wheel was designed for a kid or beginner.  I've only ridden it for an hour tonight, but already having a lot of fun on it. I held onto a railing (shopping cart return in a parking lot) going back and forth for 5 minutes.  Then, I just kept going into the wild blue wilderness of the open parking lot.  I used a belt for the first 10 minutes.  See video below. 

I didn't put any padding on the EU and decided to ride without my feet/heels/calves pressing against it as everyone here says.  It worked.  The pedals nicked my ankles a few times when trying to start or stop.  

What a great start! Well done!

I'm glad you're enjoying it but I know it's difficult not to with these great little wheels.

The amazement of people who haven't seen them before is even greater with these seemingly impossibly small machines than it is with the larger ones.

I think you will find one foot riding without either a little padding or a side extention to bring the contact point further up your leg very painful if not impossible.

Wow, you must have a very good balance to get going like that in 30 minutes. Interesting way to mount it (standing on both pedals and then turning it up). Never thought to try it that way, although I think the pedals in my wheel are too high from ground for that to work anyway. Have fun wheeling!

Archived