18xl beeps at end of charge.

Funky

Hello.

Today i noticed some beeps that i never heard before. So maybe someone knows what was they.

When charger turns green, I normally leave it for 1/2 more hour charging, so all cells balance as much as they can..

But today i noticed it started beeping. I normally charge true device that tell the power draw in Wattage.(Wattage Power Meter) When the wheel started to beep it showed 2.5Watts. So those beeps meant it was done charging? I normally stopped charging when it showed 8-10 watts before..

(While charging it goes from 200 to 230Watts. At 230Watts it starts going down and turns green at 30Watts. Then very, very slowly goes down..)

Wanted to ask that, as i never heard it before and was scared. :D 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

What was the beep pattern? There is a six beep pattern to indicate that balancing has completed.

Didn't count, but there where more than 3 for sure. Slower beeps than when euc is "locked" and you try to move it. 1 beep per sec or so.

I did not know it beeps when balancing is completed. In manual there's also nothing said about it..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Funky said:

Didn't count, but there where more than 3 for sure. Slower beeps than when euc is "locked" and you try to move it. 1 beep per sec or so.

I did not know it beeps when balancing is completed. In manual there's also nothing said about it..

Mine doesnt beep when done charging. I can hear the circuit and fan shut down tho. Mine does have a timeout beep to let me know when it shuts itself off. Perhaps its your timeout beep? Theres so many subtle variants in how these wheels behave. I wouldnt worry too much about it, if it shuts itself off when done charging and it doesnt seem to act odd in any other way. I recall some people complained about beeps when done charging, as they lived in apartments etc... Then of course some people wanted the beeps, so they dont forget to leave the wheel on charge for too long. In the end, I dont know how it wound up. Perhaps fiddle with timeout settings just to see if matters at all? I'd go muck with mine, but its working, so.....:whistling:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

What was the beep pattern? There is a six beep pattern to indicate that balancing has completed.

I have heard that on the s18 I think, is it documented somewhere?

17 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Mine doesnt beep when done charging. I can hear the circuit and fan shut down tho. Mine does have a timeout beep to let me know when it shuts itself off. Perhaps its your timeout beep? Theres so many subtle variants in how these wheels behave. I wouldnt worry too much about it, if it shuts itself off when done charging and it doesnt seem to act odd in any other way. I recall some people complained about beeps when done charging, as they lived in apartments etc... Then of course some people wanted the beeps, so they dont forget to leave the wheel on charge for too long. In the end, I dont know how it wound up. Perhaps fiddle with timeout settings just to see if matters at all? I'd go muck with mine, but its working, so.....:whistling:

xD I never hear fan spin up when charging.. Seems i simply left it for longer time charging. So it's possible it would have beeped before also, i simply disconnected to early when it's still at ~8-10Watts. Doh charger was already green ~1 and half hrs ago.

The wheel it self was "off" And charger was green long ago. When it beeped i checked wattage and it showed 2.5 from wall. Normally i disconnected euc at 8-10watts.

Edited by Funky

22 minutes ago, enaon said:

I have heard that on the s18 I think, is it documented somewhere?

No documentation that I've been able to dig up, it's all tribal lore. My 16X beeped on v2.02 (I think) but stopped after I went to higher versions. Now neither of my wheels beep when done, they just sit there and vampire the battery away.

Actually, they don't vampire the battery away because I use EUCWorld's charge control and the vampire thing was fixed somewhere along the way, but you know what I mean.

Edited by Tawpie

1 minute ago, Tawpie said:

No documentation that I've been able to dig up, it's all tribal lore. My 16X beeped on v2.02 (I think) but stopped after I went to higher versions. Now neither of my wheels beep when done, they just sit there and vampire the battery away.

Did they ever fix the problem of the 16X staying 'on' after full charged? I recall something about how they would stay semi-active after charging completed, and slowly eat the battery back down. You would have to power cycle it after charging..

Isnt it funny how we still don't have any exact idea of how these should behave? At least they are pretty cheap little toys, so no need for documentation and consistency :)

• Haha 1

They did fix the vampire problem, the wheel(s) now shut completely down when the charger is disconnected or the charger power is cut. But if you leave the charger connected and the charger keeps supplying voltage, the main board stays powered up AND (supposedly) it will resume charging if the voltage drops low enough. The eWheels fast charger cuts its output when it thinks charging is done but neither the 1.5A or 2.5A stock chargers do that—they stay powered on until unplugged from mains.

Will test this with my dad wheel. Will put the charger true power meter and see what happens, when it drops bellow 8watts. I simply left my wheel plugged in wall for much longer time, than other times..

Edited by Funky

28 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Actually, they don't vampire the battery away because I use EUCWorld's charge control and the vampire thing was fixed somewhere along the way, but you know what I mean.

I never had the vampire drain on the s18 on 2.06 as far as I can tell.
When I unplug the charger the wheel either shuts down( if it was off when charging started) of starts balancing (if it was on when charging started).

The only way that I can emulate the vambire drain, it to place it on the charger while on, with the handle up, so when I unplug it remains on, does not balance due to handle being up, so I may miss it is on. 

but wat nog3 said is something that happened to me , ~6 beeps, like the ones it does when it powers down due to inactivity, but it didn't, it was charging at the time, way past the green state. 

Edited by enaon

Ks has a feature, it supports charging while riding, takes the speed limit down to 20km/h when this happens. Are we sure the "drain" is not just a misunderstanding of this feature? It is not supposed to turn off when unplugged, if it was on when plugged in. 

Edited by enaon

1 hour ago, enaon said:

Ks has a feature, it supports charging while riding, takes the speed limit down to 20km/h when this happens. Are we sure the "drain" is not just a misunderstanding of this feature? It is not supposed to turn off when unplugged, if it was on when plugged in. 

I have no idea. I think the last firmware with vampire was 2.02 but never bothered to take the time to validate... it got fixed so I was happy!

Did not know you could charge while riding! Learn something new just about every day. Thx!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I have no idea. I think the last firmware with vampire was 2.02 but never bothered to take the time to validate... it got fixed so I was happy!

Did not know you could charge while riding! Learn something new just about every day. Thx!

Yup, you only need 2 miles of extension cord and you can ride an endless 2 mile loop. OR, you could ride 2 miles, yank the cord to you, find a nearby outlet, ride 2 miles....  fun times, sounds like a NYC contest.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Yup, you only need 2 miles of extension cord and you can ride an endless 2 mile loop. OR, you could ride 2 miles, yank the cord to you, find a nearby outlet, ride 2 miles....  fun times, sounds like a NYC contest.

this was all the rage in nyc late Fall but seems to have fallen out of favor with euc influencers like Live and Turbo. The Hoboken Daily Mirror reported that they got their extensions crossed and ended up in a big knotted ball of wire. It was at 1st thought to be Banksy's latest art installation - a poignant commentary on the euc community's reliance on long extension cords and the social burden of so many families being unable to light their xmas trees .  Eventually the authorities were summoned when a good samaritan (who was there to feed all the delighted stray cats that had gathered around the great ball) heard Live and Turbo's muffled cries from within the tangled morass.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today i charged it again and let it stay for much longer time. (As mentioned i stop charging 8-10Watts before..) And it beeped again, 6 times slowly.

The beeps happened when charger wattage from the wall was ~2.5Watts.

It seems "balancing" takes another ~2 hours. After charger has turn green. (Turns green at ~50ish watts and slowly goes down.)

50 minutes ago, Funky said:

Today i charged it again and let it stay for much longer time. (As mentioned i stop charging 8-10Watts before..) And it beeped again, 6 times slowly.

The beeps happened when charger wattage from the wall was ~2.5Watts.

It seems "balancing" takes another ~2 hours. After charger has turn green. (Turns green at ~50ish watts and slowly goes down.)

Ironically, I have owned 2 18L's and now an 18XL, over the last 3 years. Never had an issue from ANY of them, and never get confused about charging and battery maintenance until.....

I read another post about batteries and charging. :blink1:

I basically give up thinking about it. Plug it in, light goes green, unplug. Tbh, MY chargers stop sending current about the same time the wheel cuts off from charging. At this point, idgaf if its right or wrong. So far so good, and the only problem I'm having, is trying to make something seemingly simple, seem complex.

I HAVE left my wheels on chargers overnight on accident before. They still work fine. I left my scooter on too long once and you could smell that a cell or two was gassing. I've also left my mtens in the rain... still work. So yeah, actions and results are what Im after. This whole thing about 'thinking' just seems to be tiring.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Ironically, I have owned 2 18L's and now an 18XL, over the last 3 years. Never had an issue from ANY of them, and never get confused about charging and battery maintenance until.....

I read another post about batteries and charging. :blink1:

I basically give up thinking about it. Plug it in, light goes green, unplug. Tbh, MY chargers stop sending current about the same time the wheel cuts off from charging. At this point, idgaf if its right or wrong. So far so good, and the only problem I'm having, is trying to make something seemingly simple, seem complex.

I HAVE left my wheels on chargers overnight on accident before. They still work fine. I left my scooter on too long once and you could smell that a cell or two was gassing. I've also left my mtens in the rain... still work. So yeah, actions and results are what Im after. This whole thing about 'thinking' just seems to be tiring.

Yeah i'm all for plug and forget. I just got scared first time.. Because i didn't know why it was beeping. + I got all the time in world for charging. Leaving it there till it's beeps is fine for me.

I mostly have heard, leave it for another hour or so there, after charger goes green. As it still is "charging" shown that it still goes from 50-2.5 watts over those 2 hours.

Off topic: In your case i would be very scared leaving the euc charging overnight - Because of your gas cans and propane tanks within a few feet.. And all those paints & chemicals you keep there. Also those fireworks you had laying around from independence day.. I would be to scared. :laughbounce2:

Edited by Funky

3 hours ago, Funky said:

Yeah i'm all for plug and forget. I just got scared first time.. Because i didn't know why it was beeping. + I got all the time in world for charging. Leaving it there till it's beeps is fine for me.

I mostly have heard, leave it for another hour or so there, after charger goes green. As it still is "charging" shown that it still goes from 50-2.5 watts over those 2 hours.

Off topic: In your case i would be very scared leaving the euc charging overnight - Because of your gas cans and propane tanks within a few feet.. And all those paints & chemicals you keep there. Also those fireworks you had laying around from independence day.. I would be to scared. :laughbounce2:

Fireworks are upstairs and being guarded by a secondary (spare) mten. There won't be a small fire around here, I like to go big or go home. In THIS case, go big and go homeless I guess. 

I read so much about charging that it just makes my head spin. At the end of it all, I simply am more unsure than I ever was. The behavior of my fast charger shows NO wattage once it reaches full. Everything just goes to zero's. Would wattage at any voltage below max, even be of any use? I admit, I havent tested the chargers much in realtime, I have been simply relying on the screen on the charger itself. For all I know, it could be silently charging a LOT and I'm just not being told.

I think the lower rated fuses were in response to a board or two burning. I won't assume it helped or was needed, but it was something. Who knows, was it a worthy fuse change, or simply an attempt to appease the masses? I suspect I changed fuses to wtfe I was given, when I 'upgraded' rims and hangers. Altho, I dont push my Sherman very hard. When it gets warm or bogs down, I ease up.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1