WANTED: Gotway Luffy or IPS i5

RooEUC

I'm looking for a Gotway Luffy or IPS i5.  Finding one in Canada would be nice, but if you can ship one from the USA that might work too as I have a cross border shipping depot in the USA that I can drive to.  Please PM me if you have one for sale. 

Edited by RooEUC

• RooEUC changed the title to WANTED: Gotway Luffy
  • RooEUC changed the title to WANTED: Gotway Luffy or IPS i5
  • 10 months later...
3 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Working it, stay stuned, probably mid-year... 

Hi Jason,

Do you mean the Luffy or the i5 is coming back onto the market?  Or that you found some old stock?

1 minute ago, Jason McNeil said:

Reviving the i5 format, not leaking more information for now :lol:

This is the best news I've heard all day. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Reviving the i5 format, not leaking more information for now :lol:

great!!!

59 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

If they can get an i5-style wheel to go 30 kph, I'm sold!

The problem is, once you start adding a bunch of requirements it no longer is the i5. By it's very nature it needs to have a tiny battery with limited power or it's going to be bigger than the i5.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The problem is, once you start adding a bunch of requirements it no longer is the i5. By it's very nature it needs to have a tiny battery with limited power or it's going to be bigger than the i5.

With modern high-discharge cells, there's room for performance improvements over the original.

• Like 1

But realistically, with a 20s1p pack of Samsung 50S cells, it'd probably max out at 25kph.

The iPS i5 was innovative with the integrated motor/shell made of magnesium alloy, with pedals connected directly to the shell instead of separate hangers.

I'd be fine if they went ultra-minimal and didn't include lights or speakers. All you need is a a simple on/off button located on/near a comfortable handle, a charge port, and a beeper.

Looking forward to the modern version!

• Like 1

I think to want 30kph from such a wheel is missing the point. There are already a dozen or more high speed wheels to choose from, but no light weight urban transporter options at all.  The 17lb i5 was a means of transport for hard ground, a "last mile" solution. It could take someone to a destination and then go into a backpack, out of sight.  Walking around a store without attention rather than trollying it with a hand used up. This is great for street photographers.

I would be happy with anything from 20kph to 24kph if it's very small and lightweight.

59 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

I'd be fine if they went ultra-minimal and didn't include lights or speakers. All you need is a a simple on/off button located on/near a comfortable handle, a charge port, and a beeper.

That would be preferable. Lights and speakers add weight and aren't much use most of the time anyway.

It's a pity this interesting conversation is happening in this classifieds listing instead of the thread I created in the general section.

1 hour ago, RooEUC said:

It's a pity this interesting conversation is happening in this classifieds listing instead of the thread I created in the general section.

But this thread is where @Jason McNeil posted, and he has more influence on manufacturers than anyone else.
Convince Jason to move onto your thread and the conversation will follow...

As for speed, slow PEVs have their place, but if you want something that has mass appeal, then it needs be able to integrate into bicycle infrastructure, which means capable of bicycle speeds, otherwise you're forced onto sidewalks, which is illegal in many jurisdictions.

11 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

But this thread is where @Jason McNeil posted, and he has more influence on manufacturers than anyone else.
Convince Jason to move onto your thread and the conversation will follow...

As for speed, slow PEVs have their place, but if you want something that has mass appeal, then it needs be able to integrate into bicycle infrastructure, which means capable of bicycle speeds, otherwise you're forced onto sidewalks, which is illegal in many jurisdictions.

It's just that this is the for sale section and not meant for general discussions like this, which is why I started a thread in the proper section.  And this is my ad looking mainly for a used Luffy.

1 hour ago, RooEUC said:

There's no controlling people :D

• Haha 2

It makes me laugh, manufacturers make toys that have no speed or battery size, or they go very big monster euc's.. Only two spectrums - very small or very big.

Where the FUCK are the ~1000Wh, 35-45lbs(15-20kg) wheels, that can go 24-27mph(40-50kmh)!!!!

I'm all for "new" I5 - cool we are getting finally another smaller EUC. But if it goes 18mph(30kmh) max speed. Not really interested. As i personally would have no safety margin left while riding close to it's max speed. Doh riding laptop and it's formfactor - can't be beat. :D

Also wheel can be TOO narrow. Which isn't good.

Edited by Funky