Has anyone gone from Ninebot S2 to Gotway Mten3?

RooEUC

15 minutes ago, Boris Lämpel said:

Maybe You should consider an esk8-board. There You can take whatever size, power, range and prize You like. And then there are several longboard bags like those:

Don't those require a hand to use a controller? They look a bit MORE bulky than a tiny euc. Esk8= blasphemy. :eff02be2d7:

37 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Don't those require a hand to use a controller? They look a bit MORE bulky than a tiny euc. Esk8= blasphemy. :eff02be2d7:

Of course. But as soon as You are walking, Your hands are free.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Boris Lämpel said:

Maybe You should consider an esk8-board. There You can take whatever size, power, range and prize You like. And then there are several longboard bags like those:

Before EUCs I rode electric skateboards.  It was a big part of my life.  I worked in the electric skateboard industry building and repairing them.  Thanks for the suggestion as I am keeping my options open, but I think this solution would be more difficult than popping an Mten3 in a backpack.  I'm not into boards anymore.  Right now I'm thinking about the Luffy.  It's very lightweight, the same size as the Mten3 and with my portable EUC charger it could get me the distance I need it to.  It's also really cheap.  The problem is finding a used one in Canada.  And I have read they had reliability problems.  I looked at the Segway Drift W1.  They're affordable and can easily fit in a backpack, but they aren't a means of transport.  They are really just a toy for very smooth surfaces.

I had a Ninebot E, (no trolley) then a V8, then Tesla + MSX.

While I'll probably never get rid of my powerful wheels (they do the heavy lifting, bulk of the rides) I have gone through some of the stages and learned a thing or two. I live in a big city and that means eventually going up stairs, like quite regularly. Few times a week.

For you I'd recommend a V8 if you really (hand on heart) struggle immensely with weight. I used to obsess about weight. I still have my V8 but I don't even take it on my commutes anymore. (train riding, going down loooong flights of stairs)

My Tesla is 19kg and doesn't even have a cutout switch (v1). That taught me a few things. Things like I don't even need to lift the wheel off the ground to carry it over long stairs. All it needs is a nudge to make the steps. And I'm no granny. I keep up with the rush of people at the station. And I'm going up and down the equivalent of 3-4 stories all in one go.

The first question my old V8 owning self would ask is, why go through all that? It's wayyyy better than the V8. The tesla zips through traffic like a dream. And I never really carry it like I used to do with the V8 (thanks to the lack of a cutoff switch). I always nudge it and so my back really doesn't experience the full weight of it. Do I enjoy it? No. But it beats riding through traffic on an underpowered wheel any day. Also I don't need to carry the whole weight of the wheel like with the V8.

Considering you want to conceal the wheel get a V8F and a bag for it. Perhaps? Just know that there are wheels like the tesla out there that can go 50km/h (i never go that fast) and only weighs 19kg. It's tall too so it's easy to nudge it up/down stairs because you don't need to bend down as much as for an MSX. A V8 is too low to nudge so you have to carry it. All this of course depends on how tall you are.

Cheers.

Edited by alcatraz

On 2/15/2022 at 8:16 PM, pico said:

Both are uncomfortable to carry in a backpack for more than 30 minutes(at least for me at 6' 170lbs). 

The S2 is large for a backpack but the Mten digs all the weight in a very small area of your back.

The S2 you can take easily take one battery out to make it even lighter! (becomes a S1)

They really are two quite different beasts to ride.

The forte of the Mten3 is the compact form factor and ease for someone that wants to learn to ride backwards. It is also a fun wheel just to put-put around and do super tight turns. Very uncomfortable to ride single legged. Super fast acceleration.

The S2 is easier to ride once you put the VERY comfortable Ninebot pads. Great for single leg riding and other tricks.

Hope this helps.

I wish they manufactured an 8kg  12inch 35km/h  25Km range Wheel with a good integrated trolley!

I want to rollerblade with an mten in a backpack - guess that seems unrealistic?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ben-To said:

I want to rollerblade with an mten in a backpack - guess that seems unrealistic?

Not at all. It all depends on your physical condition and athleticism! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a wheel too do any distance with, the Mten would be a downgrade to the S2. The Mten is not a travel wheel, it’s a fun little wheelie for the park, just like the tire diameter suggests.

Maybe there’s a backpack you could upgrade to that has comfier and wider shoulder straps?

All in all, hoping to carry one’s transport vehicle for an hour on one’s back without discomfort does sound a bit like the reality probably hasn’t yet catched up with your hopes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

All in all, hoping to carry one’s transport vehicle for an hour on one’s back without discomfort does sound a bit like the reality probably hasn’t yet catched up with your hopes.

Yes, you may be right about that. 

There are 'expedition' packs that have hip belts to take part of the load, in the olden days they even had hard frames to keep your load off your back. A stop by the thrift store or used sporting goods shop might uncover something that can be adapted if you're into that kind of thing.

Still, 25 lbs is going to constantly remind you that it's there.

• Upvote 1