Ninebot tipped forward

Kwing

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SlowMo  But at 12 MPH, any size rider could overlean the wheel.  When you are near the top speed, there's hardly any room for error.  Even the Large Big Battery wheels will overlean if you are riding near the top. If you watch the slow motion portion, you can see he pushed it really far forward before it died. 

which Clip did I watch....  this guy was riding a KS. He was leaning forward to accelerate..  he was leaning so forward that for sure he will fall if riding a ninebot but KS coped it it just kept accelerating...!!

This always comes up again and again on my ninebot video and the conclusion that my buddy "overleaned" is just flat out wrong. He was riding normally through a smooth intersection when the ninebot slowly (in the span of 0.25-0.5 seconds) stopped balancing him. The nineboe still had over 50% battery and we had been riding "harder" sometimes before that incident such as jumping off curbs. The "leaning foward" that you guys see is simply that wheel losing power to keep him upright. Because when we all balance on any wheel that's moving forward we all have to put a little more pressure on the front of our feet to tell the wheel to move forward (like a less extreme version of the Michael Jackson Smooth criminal lean). And guess what, if any wheel happens to lose power while we are in this slightly forward lean, we all will end up falling forward just like you see in my video.

If there really was any overlean, then you should see a sudden acceleration coupled with the ninebot pedals pushing my buddy back. None of that happened. My buddy was able to ride harder before and afterwards on the ninebot just fine. This was just a random glitchy occurrence of the ninebot failing.... and it hasn't failed every since especially when I've updated the firmware.

So here's my overall take on wheels losing power. Yes any wheel can shut off if you truly overlean the wheel past its point to provide enough power to keep you upright. This has happened to me and two of my buddys on the firewheel.... which the one you see in the video broke his wrist because of it.  We all took full responsibility for it and didn't blame firewheel for it. However that has made me not ride the firewheel anymore but instead ride wheels that have loud audible warnings and pedal tiltback (like Kingsong) to reduce the risk of that happening again. But no wheel should shut off under "normal" riding conditions (ie. NOT low battery, not topping out the speed limit of the wheel, Not riding on a very bumpy surface)..... which is what happened in this case in that video.

On 10.3.2016 at 9:19 PM, ECUMania said:

So, when one rides NB1 going through down incline, a drop,  to up incline,  reduce the forward leaning to negate the forward tilting and slow down to give NB1 enough power to climb the upward incline. And bend knees to give you better reaction and reduce the impact and power draw when NB1 going up.

I just got this sensation (forward tipping) at my last ride - unfortionatelly i cannot really recall if it exactly followed the sequence you describe. But the wheel does not know anything about declines/inclines - accelerations/decelerations (increasing load/decreasing load) should look the same to the wheel? You also have this forward tip once you jump down (multiple) curbs - there it could be by the short spinning up of the engine (fast change of load/no load condition)?

(Edit: inclines/declines should differ from normal acceleration/decceleration by the load/speed change...?)

Anyway - if this forward tipping glitch happens while you are almost at maximum speed, slightly accelerating and awaiting the tiltback to come, but surprisingly the ninebot tips forward, i assume the outcame could be exactly what happened to @Michael Vu's friend:

On 10.3.2016 at 10:36 PM, Michael Vu said:

If there really was any overlean, then you should see a sudden acceleration coupled with the ninebot pedals pushing my buddy back. None of that happened. My buddy was able to ride harder before and afterwards on the ninebot just fine. This was just a random glitchy occurrence of the ninebot failing.... and it hasn't failed every since especially when I've updated the firmware.

On the video the first thing to be seen (unfortionately its hard to see real details...), is that he raises his hands to gain balance. So could be the surprise that (instead of just driving or the tiltback) a forward tip came - he could not regain balance and by "falling" forward the 9bot could not recover its forward tipping glitch ...

• 1 year later...

Same identical problem yesterday with my Ninebot One S2.

Moderate speed, on the 15km/h, acceleration request for overtaking, and the traction switch off with beep beep and fall forward without any chance (except to remember Judo workouts and fall and save my face). I have only 250Km on this EUC.

my weight : 79 

5a8c0bd33a8e3_s2euc.thumb.jpeg.b9fbc7faf4afd1c06fc46f2726d32f33.jpeg

A: maximum speed allowed by the battery charge level (I think the control unit did not read correctly) beyond which it should have started with Tilt-Back
B: cruising speed at which I was going (which normally the vehicle would not have allowed)
C: Acceleration request (Not supported with exhausted batteries)

I think The problem is that the control unit has not activated the speed limitation in relation to the discharge of the batteries. No beep and no preventive tilt back. I admit I was not was looking at the battery status indicators (NineBot One S2 has the LEDs that indicate the charge of the batteries), but the same indicators make the plays of light when riding.

so even if I was going already at about 15-18 Km / H I accelerated knowing that I can get up to 24Km / h (where I expect the first preventive beep and then, if I do not reduce the speed comes a tilt-back) but the traction it did not counterbalance me and I saw the asphalt approach as my ninebot One s2 emitted continuous beep beeps. Unfortunately I did not have the camera on, so I do not know how many beeps have done.

anyway, it's the second time the joke. The first, last year, when I was still learning, I was back in braking, fortunately I was still attached to a railing and I stayed there, far from the floor :)

Mind you, it went well, just a few abrasions and two ribs, but what if there was a dangerous obstacle in front? or worse, do you still have a child?
Which security systems would they be? A simple beep that warns you that you're about to smash on the ground? Thanks a lot, I notice it even without acoustic signals. That message should enable some security system that they have not yet invented.
There are many in my mind, but I'm not the designer, I'm a user (or a guinea pig?). We are in the future, but perhaps still a little bit unripe. I would like to work together to improve these situations, but how?

Thanks all (an sorry for my english)

Archived