Hybrid Tire or Just get a Street tire

sffish

Currently I have a CST C-186 knobby on my RS19HT. I'm not crazy about it at high lean angles. Whenever I'm trying to crank it over, especially at speed, there's always uncertainty as I wait for the tire to go from one set of knobby blocks to another. For instance, turn to rider's left, the tire will be reluctant to turn, then all of a sudden lean alot. I'm gonna ride it for a bit more to maybe get used to it, but I'm also considering a tire change.

I wouldn't mind a knobby/hybrid tire as long as the turning characteristics are more linear. Maybe a knobby tire like the Skinko 244 which has it's knobs staggered so that there are always a column of knobbies hitting the ground, Shinko 244 Dual Sport Tires | 14% ($27.16) Off! - RevZilla.  Any recommendations, and where can I order it from? I'm in Washington DC.

Alternatively I can just get a street tire. I hear good things about the Michelin City Pro 70/90-14 but where can I order it from? Any other tire recommendations with a site I can order it from?

Do I need a new inner tube for the tire? I'll probably get another inner tube just to have a spare and also if I pinsh the inner tube installing the tire.

Thanks.

Do you “need” a knobby? I remain very surprised at how well my “street” tire grips unpaved surfaces—I haven’t identified a surface I ride that demands one. Including packed snow (not slush, that’s begging for trouble). As we saw in this year’s SoCal tour, the wrong kind of mud and a knobby can be a bad recipe.

If you are mostly on pavement, why not get a street tire?

• Like 2

Yeah I'm not in "need" of a knobby, but I wouldn't mind getting a hybrid tire if it behaved more linearly on pavement than the CST C-186. Looks like the only tire like that is the Shinko 244. I'll probably switch to a street tire. Anyone recommend a good street tire and a place to get it? Looks like the Michelin City Pro needs to be imported from Europe.

• Like 1

I don't mess with tires personally, been happy with what's already mounted. But the forum in general has good things to say about one of the Continentals, and the Pirelli Angel gets consistent high marks. No idea if they make them for the RS19 though. Discussion: 

17 hours ago, sffish said:

knobby tire like the Skinko 244

Very wide and tall tire. Shaving almost certainly required to fit MSuper RS.

Michelin City Pro 70/90-14

As you found, no USA distribution.

Do I need a new inner tube for the tire?

Nope. You can re-use your old tube.

(But, good to order a spare, as you said. The right-angle valve stem 18x3 tubes are rare and almost never available locally.)

I wouldn't mind a knobby/hybrid tire as long as the turning characteristics are more linear.

You sound like a good candidate for @mrelwood and @EMA's favorite tire, Heidenau K66 Snowtex 80/90 D14 46P p/n 11160149. About $120 with international shipping to USA, not a big expense in the long run...

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Very wide and tall tire. Shaving almost certainly required to fit MSuper RS.

As you found, no USA distribution.

Nope. You can re-use your old tube.

(But, good to order a spare, as you said. The right-angle valve stem 18x3 tubes are rare and almost never available locally.)

You sound like a good candidate for @mrelwood and @EMA's favorite tire, Heidenau K66 Snowtex 80/90 D14 46P p/n 11160149. About $120 with international shipping to USA, not a big expense in the long run...

The Heidenau seems like it might fit me well. @mrelwood or @EMA, can you tell me about that tire? Will it fit an RS19? What tire size? Where did you get it from? How does it ride on the street? At low speed maneuvering (tight turns, reversing backwards)? High speed corners when leant over? Off road riding?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

C'mon, you gotta make a little effort here ;) Lots of feedback on K66 here in the forum, start searching:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/search/?&q=k66&author=mrelwood&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Thanks Rage! :thumbup: I was going to link to some of my posts about the tire, but you did better, you linked to all of them! :lol:

@sffish, easily summarized, the K66 is everything you wished the C-186 was. Read up on what’s been written, or just buy the tire and welcome to heaven!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sffish said:

The Heidenau seems like it might fit me well. @mrelwood or @EMA, can you tell me about that tire? Will it fit an RS19? What tire size? Where did you get it from? How does it ride on the street? At low speed maneuvering (tight turns, reversing backwards)? High speed corners when leant over? Off road riding?  Thanks.

I can't talk about fit to GW wheels. But... 

Low or super slow speed. This is a class of its own on so many levels. It might depend a bit on the wheel due to weight distribution and pedal height. 

I use this with my V11. I have tried other options. The full journey and understanding of this you can find on my review post. It is growing. But if you have the interest then have a look. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 1:46 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

I like the Pirelli angel :) Not too expensive and I found it somewhat locally at revzilla.

I watched your video testing the Angel on your Sherman. Now that you’ve put some more miles on it, I’m REALLY interested in how the Sherman carves with this tire? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lazybones99 said:

I watched your video testing the Angel on your Sherman. Now that you’ve put some more miles on it, I’m REALLY interested in how the Sherman carves with this tire? 

No complaints at all. Its winter, so I havent ridden much. So far, I still love how it rides and the tire has been solid and predictable in every way. Tbh, I totally quit thinking about it. I only have 485miles on the sherman tho. Not a lot, considering it was one of the first shipped. My guess is the Pirelli has about 350miles on it. Still looks damn near new. There's the slightest wear dwn the middle half of tread, but maybe just past broken in. Still got the nipples all down the sides, even tho I've had it over into the chicken strips a time or two. Fwiw, I've used the street tire on the same dirt mountain paths as my knobby. Traction is a little less, but rider skill is still more a factor. Now, wet grass.....  fahghetaboutit.:roflmao:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1