18L shut off while walking

Circuitmage

A couple weeks ago , right about 30 to 40 seconds after I turned my wheel on and walked down the hall, it decided to shut itself off. It's a weird experience to have a wheel stop in it's tracks while you are walking. I was just glad I was not riding it when it did.

This was about 1 day after a full charge, and I have noticed sometimes right after a full charge I will get audible "Over Voltage" warnings if I push it hard on a full charge. Other than that it has been really good (aside from initial FW updates after release). I've never had a shut off or issue while moving on it.

I rode it last week , first couple days took it slower, around 10-15 mph. But it seems OK. If I recall, one feature of KS is redundant Mosfets (??). Is that true? And does anyone know if the shut off protection is any different while moving fast than walking it down the hall? The only issues I ever had (before FW updates and this shutoff) have been when moving slowly or just turning on wheel.

This was also about 3 weeks after changing tire and tube. I did not do a full teardown and inspection of motherboard, but outside wiring looked OK. With only about 3500 miles on it I figured I would be good change tire and tube and keep going.

It is also in my head it could be a "sticky" switch issue. 

Anyway...I'm not overly concerned about this, but I am switching to a full face MC helmet now, just to be safe.

Edited by Circuitmage

You could disable the lift sensor in the app if you think it might be a sticky switch.

@Paradox Did that a looooong time ago. The lift sensor never worked right for me, so I don't trust it.

Good idea, that a lift switch might have caused it though. It still could have been a FW glitch relating to that maybe...I dunno.

Edited by Circuitmage

The only similar incidents I can recall are the electro magnetic interference shutting off the 18(X)L while trolleying. Maybe some neighbour is dabbling with some RF stuff (?)

Otherwise watch out for the over voltage, it could be hard braking while battery is full (same as going downhill on full battery) which can lead to a cut-out.

@div LOL. I work for a company that designs SOC RF chips. So yeah, we have about 200 devices broadcasting near me right now over various transmission standards.

@Paul A Yup, thanks for the reminder....I remember that thread.  I also had the initial FW bug that had me take my shell off quickly and disconnect the battery 2 times. Seemed to have been fixed with FW updates. I will hope it is only a trolly glitch that got through again and keep riding. If I can get another 2 or 3 years out of this wheel I will be happy. 

Also...I don't even know if there has been a FW update in the past year or so...have not even tried...I think I'm on 10.1 or something...need to look at that.

Edited by Circuitmage
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

So yes this is due to EMC of 18L mainly... Good news it never happens when you ride it, only if you walk with it. And because of EMC, it usually only happens in stores... Some people said that KS18L/XL is a man and do not like shopping...

Also it suppose to be fixed in new releases of main board...