Breaking into the sport.

davek

After my first week of riding, I've been off of my KS-14C for three days now.

I knew I bruised the inside of my right calf a few times, but kept riding anyway, even with the swelling.
On my last tumble (slick shoes) the peddle really smacked my right shin!

Between the black 'n blue and new red battle scars, the painful lesson learned is - take time to break into the sport slowly so it doesn't break you.

Are there any suggestions for endurance training for new riders?

Considering the bruises on your calves, are you pinching your legs together when riding? 
I used to do this the first hours when riding, then noticed that this was what caused my pain (shins and calves).
A relaxed stance on the pedals, no pinching, made me gain control a lot faster and feel a hell of a lot less pain...

During the learning phase, try some volleyball foam knee pads and use them with the foam padding protecting the shin area or just get some protective shin wraps. You can use some high top shoes for protection against pedal scrapes. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elastic-Foam-Pad-Knee-Guard-Brace-Support-Protective-Protector-Sports-New-2-Pcs-/262190925639?var=&hash=item3d0bcc0747:m:mzZ6_O_2Wde4gATajzghcWg

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Extended-Long-Leg-Sleeve-Badminton-Calf-Shin-Knee-Pad-for-Protection-Pro-Level-Sports-Care-Gym/2017609933.html

As someone who has just got the hang of riding around on one (and not turning well consistently yet), I have to say that you must be going too fast if you're literally tumbling! I can run off all my falls and just catch the leash to prevent the wheel dropping. So far, the sides of my wheel have not touched the ground. I have only had about 6 hours of Real riding time so I've been going slower intentionally but today, I heard the Zero beep warnings for the first time and I had the speed limit set to 12km/h. I think I experienced a tilt-back or two too but am not 100% sure. So I'm definitely going faster now. Just raised speed limit to 20km/h an hour back. :D

I only experience discomfort on my shins when mounting the wheel, not when I ride. You might want to take a wider stance on the footrests perhaps?

3 minutes ago, playdad said:

I only experience discomfort on my shins when mounting the wheel, not when I ride. You might want to take a wider stance on the footrests perhaps?

Had this when I started as well, it's something you need to get used to.
I'm still wondering whether my shins are getting used to mounting the wheel (hurt like hell when I started), or if I'm just getting used to mounting and am able to do it without pressuring my shins too much...

I've worn soccer shin pads on the insides of my shins since Day 2. As a newbie I couldn't ride without them!

7 minutes ago, Tyred said:

I'm still wondering whether my shins are getting used to mounting the wheel (hurt like hell when I started), or if I'm just getting used to mounting and am able to do it without pressuring my shins too much...

Probably getting used to it with more skill. Sometimes I travel without the shin pads and it is more or less okay now. I still prefer to wear the pads for comfort though.

I had to put bike seat cover gel pads on each side of my generic and left them there for comfort the 3 months I rode it.

Now I got an IPS Lhotz, I think it is too nice to put any padding on it, and as I could already ride it wouldn't hurt, but not true, it did hurt! So I had to use the packing what foam that came on the carton I received, covering with red plastic/fabric from a "books bag".

Here the result of both paddings, now it is much more comfortable. I can't believe how some people ride with one leg doing tricks without padding...

1451314753555-1380344735.thumb.jpg.46419

IMG_20160111_231320.jpg

It does seem like the case design makes a difference. I only have experience with 3 wheels. When I started learning on my boxy 14-inch generic I definitely suffered from Bruised Shin Syndrome and applied some of the basic ribbed padding that came with it. I tried an IPS 132 and it didn't seem as uncomfortable even though it was boxy. By the time I got the Firewheel I wasn't having problems and the FW has much more comfortable built-in pads anyway. When I get back on the 14-inch wheel it doesn't feel as comfortable but the problem is more the foot pedals than my shins! I need to put some grip tape on them I think.

Wow, great replies!
Lots of the calf & shin wraps on the market to choose from too.

I don't think I've been gripping the eu, but I will pay more attention now.

My right foot is dominant so that side comes into contact with the boxy design of the KS most often upon mount / dismount. I'm starting to envy the rounder designs of some of the others.

My last fall wasn't due to speed, but to tight cornering.
Due to the wet weather, I often ride at night through the offices and cubicles of the newspaper I work at. Just another perk of working the night shift.
Our network administrator who loves all things geek, wants one now.
The night editor laughs every time I ride it.
The press crew just stare in disbelief. :)

Devak please get  a shin guard/pad for yourself. I personally think it's a must. The one time I forgot to wear I hit my shin right on the pedal and cut was so bad it needed stitches.

Are you also getting feet pain? I wonder the persistent bruises are caused by the lack of blood circulation.  Remember them  tie your shoes tight, take lots of breaks and loosen your knees.  I remember being a newbie I always clamped on the wheels too hard because i was nervous

Hi @davek,

I did my learning (about first 10 hours on the EU) wearing leather boots only. Had/have no other padding on my IPS Zero.

The boots give stability and a better 'standing on the EU' and I had/have nearly NO bruise.

Now I do trails and most rides with boots and sometimes short trips with low shoes.

Mhh, might change in summer ...

I really think it is like @Kwing mentioned: Being hurt from the pedals is possible. Wearing boots might prevent this.

wish you fun with your learning :)

1 hour ago, viti said:

Hi @davek,

I did my learning (about first 10 hours on the EU) wearing leather boots only. Had/have no other padding on my IPS Zero.

The boots give stability and a better 'standing on the EU' and I had/have nearly NO bruise.

Now I do trails and most rides with boots and sometimes short trips with low shoes.

Mhh, might change in summer ...

I really think it is like @Kwing mentioned: Being hurt from the pedals is possible. Wearing boots might prevent this.

wish you fun with your learning :)

Viti you made a very good point about wearing boots not only does it give you stability but also protect your ankles. Not just twisting but also from being cut. You be surprise how sharp the pedals are.. that's why I bought myself a pair of hi top vans..  any excuse to spend money :D

I still wonder whether boots give you the level of control. The soles are thicker and harder than sneakers 

I rode for over an hour this evening after creating my own padded leg wrap.
I still have the nasty bruise but experienced no discomfort.

I folded a sheet of bubble wrap 3 times and wrapped it tight to my sore inner calf with a wide 'ace bandage'.

I guess it's the pressure that relieves any pain and the bubble wrap prevented any more injury. At one point a couple popped - like little airbags going off.

It's good to get back on the wheel!

9 hours ago, Kwing said:

Viti you made a very good point about wearing boots not only does it give you stability but also protect your ankles. Not just twisting but also from being cut. You be surprise how sharp the pedals are.. that's why I bought myself a pair of hi top vans..  any excuse to spend money :D

I still wonder whether boots give you the level of control. The soles are thicker and harder than sneakers 

I am surprised that Ninebot pedals which have rounded edges can cut like a knife. Better wrap them in insulation foam tape for additional safety like this.

20160111_085142.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Almost two weeks later and the leg is much better now - so are my riding skills.

I ride an hour or so everyday before work and four hours a day on the weekends.

I'm getting comfortable riding near people, though I've been told to get a horn. A couple times they nearly jumped out of their shoes when I say 'On your left' or 'behind you'. The KS-14C is so whisper quiet.

Out on the road after a mile (1.6 km ) my feet are sore but my legs are not as tired anymore.

Also found the stronger my legs get, the slower I can go and still make sharp turns. This helps me in the evenings when I ride through the building I work in,
lots of narrow doors, desks and chairs.

I'm getting the hang of power braking, but still can't step-on and go very well.

About the scariest thing I've done is going down step hills.
Leaning back hard on the pedals for a few minutes and not slowing down fast enough - Yikes!

I haven't yet been able to run the battery down in one day - that's my next goal. :)

Archived