Hello New rider looking at the s20

Luke Skywalker

For just learning purposes, it can be butt ugly, like thick cardboard n duct tape, carpet n duct tape, carpet, cardboard and duct tape. Gorilla tape can be used if money is no object. The tape shouldn’t be stuck to the wheel itself, though,just the covering material. Once you have learned, VIOLA ! Beautiful new wheel revealed to the public !

Also, a strap can be used to keep it from getting away from you and possibly going off on a solo adventure sans rider.

Seen it happen.  My 16s headed straight for about thirty yards towards a water filled ditch once. She was quick though, and caught up with it before it got there. Moral of the story, stay the hell away from the water !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

Also, a strap can be used to keep it from getting away from you and possibly going off on a solo adventure sans rider.

There are corollary arguments to that though. Sure, a tether (bungee rope best for that I find) is excellent for stopping wheels running on into traffic, but pretty terrible for keeping them away from the immediate proximity of your feet where you will likely trip over it further as you fall, and risk additional contact damage ! Having said that - you're going down anyway, and if suitably armoured up, it's probably the lesser of 2 evils...

CBR

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I love it, just ordered some. My wife has been pestering me about finding a way to protect the handles on things in our house and I think this might be good for that too :D

8 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Hey I just reread what you wrote about “protecting the wheel”.  I’m looking at EUC stands and trying to find a neoprene cover. Is that the kind of stuff you’re talking about?

First 3 days, when i just got the wheel, i simply put shower mat around my wheel and duct taped it around (It looked like big bag..) Looked @Funky as duck, but worked very well. Later i bought two sided tape and tapped "yoga-mat" around the wheel. If you take your time and cut out nice looking pieces. The wheel looks good! You can't tell it's yoga-mat. :D My dad even tapped "door-mat" to his wheel. (The thick rubber/mesh one.) And it looks so good and protection is like tank. It's a fuzzy wheel. :D Check out my wheel + that sweet drive on stand, where wheel automatically stands itself. :D 

(If you use any kind of tape - you need to clean surface with alcohol or spirit. To remove all "oils", the tape will stick better.)

IMG-20220714-132304.jpg

IMG-20220714-132310.jpg

1234.png

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

In over 7 years of riding I have only ever hit 2 cars with my wheel, both of them parked and 1 of them mine ! That bumper strip meant neither car got even a scratch, and there was no visible sign of damage at all. 

Couple of notes on it if it's your first time using: 

1. The white variation of this is actually an off-white cream colour, and is the only colour in the range that looks a bit dirty from the start !

2. Place your double sided tape in between the screw holes, not over them (even if the padding itself does cover them, and it should!), so you can still push it aside and open the case for tyre changes etc, whilst padding remains in place without having to tear it to access.

3. The sticky tape that comes with this is very good the first time you use it and the bond is very strong and holds up to long-term continued use very well. But if you have to tear it off later and reapply, it really doesn't do well, either in coming off cleanly, or re-sticking once you've finished !

CBR

Edited by Cerbera

10 hours ago, Cerbera said:

There are corollary arguments to that though. Sure, a tether (bungee rope best for that I find) is excellent for stopping wheels running on into traffic, but pretty terrible for keeping them away from the immediate proximity of your feet where you will likely trip over it further as you fall, and risk additional contact damage ! Having said that - you're going down anyway, and if suitably armoured up, it's probably the lesser of 2 evils...

CBR

I beg to differ on this. After I graduated from pushing the shopping cart around, if I felt things going sideways, I’d step off and arrest the wheel with the belt. I hardly ever fell to the ground. The wheel was ahead of me. The wheel never hit the ground. Now that said, this was with a thirty five pound 16s, and after a month, an s18. I didn’t give up the belt until about three months in. S22 is what, another twenty heavier than an s18. Still, it’s going to be balancing front to back when you dismount, so keeping it upright with a belt is still going to be preferable to letting it fall over. My 2 c.

BTW, you could still get a beater to learn on and save that beast from the wear and tear of learning !

3 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

Still, it’s going to be balancing front to back when you dismount, so keeping it upright with a belt is still going to be preferable to letting it fall over. My 2 c.

No that's not what I meant - I mean if you crash - ie get a cutout or lose control somehow, then that tether prevents the wheel running away from your legs and puts it somewhere where it can continue hammering your ankles and shins as you fall - that's all I meant :)

Edited by Cerbera

• 5 weeks later...

It's not only the wheel rolling into cars or people, it is also for preventing the wheel for going on tumbling head over tail and busting all apart or the non stop tumble down a steep hill or the running off in to deep bodies of water... Thus I always tether the wheel....

But I have no idea how one will do it with and bloody ks22...I have to look for another seller since ewheels switched battery packs from original...