Hello New rider looking at the s20

Luke Skywalker

Greetings!  If you can believe it, first heard about EUC wheels yesterday and I’ve been watching YouTube videos, etc all day. 

My first thought was maybe I should get a “starter” beginner wheel but I know I’ll end up wanting a high end one. 

The S20 looks awesome. I plan to do a lot of road riding and maybe some light off-roading. Nothing too crazy. 

it sounds like if I buy one I won’t have it in my hands in the USA until February right?  Should I maybe get the S18 which is probably available now? 

Can’t wait to get into this 

• Like 2

First batches tend to have some hiccups with production so even if it comes out by then, you may want to wait a bit longer. 

S18 will be a good starting wheel until S20 is out since the suspension is similar. I got about 40 mile range riding around ~17mph. 

• Like 1

Hello Welcome! It sounds like you are already hooked. :thumbup: Enjoy the processes. I wish I could learn again.  I spit this off the S20 thread because new rider info can sidetrack from the release info. 

Yes the S20 is one of the long awaited latest and greatest wheels coming out. February sounds right and if anyone can do it KingSong can. That said I give it a 20% chance of March. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Waulnut said:

First batches tend to have some hiccups with production so even if it comes out by then, you may want to wait a bit longer. 

S18 will be a good starting wheel until S20 is out since the suspension is similar. I got about 40 mile range riding around ~17mph. 

Hey Waulnet, 

What you’re saying makes perfect sense… could you recommend a good place to buy the S18? 

This site looks reputable however they have the KS-S18 that’s on back order and the KS-18XL that’s in stock but doesn’t look as wicked and doesn’t seem to have the suspension. 
https://www.euco.us

I see one on eBay but that doesn’t seem like an optimal way to go (: 

thanks! 

11 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Hey Waulnet, 

What you’re saying makes perfect sense… could you recommend a good place to buy the S18? 

This site looks reputable however they have the KS-S18 that’s on back order and the KS-18XL that’s in stock but doesn’t look as wicked and doesn’t seem to have the suspension. 

thanks! 

I also recommend the S18 as a great place to start. You won’t get bored for a long time and they are pretty well ironed out now. I had a good experience at ewheels.com for ordering but the S18 still carries a decent amount of lead time. Take the plunge. My favorite adult hobby in many years! 

• Like 2

That being said… I literally know nothing about the different brands. 

Perhaps the Begode EX.N or the Veteran Sherman, 3200Wh Battery/2500W I’m looking at on ewheels.com would suit my needs. 

Hill climbing is important to me. Perhaps these would be fine for cruising across a smooth grass hills and fields. I doubt I’ll be doing hard core riding on trials any time soon if ever 

Price is not a factor for me 

Edited by Luke Skywalker

Hills? Well? We need more info. How much do you weigh? All of the wheels you mentioned are best depending on the rider. Any wheel can climb hills mountains are a bitt more difficult. A 150 pound rider can climb a 5,000 foot mountain.  

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

could you recommend a good place to buy the S18? 

Ewheels, Euco, and Alien Rides all seem to be great places to buy a wheel. I have personally used ewheels for both my wheels and have been incredibly impressed with the customer service and care they put to make sure the customer is satisfied. I have heard good things about the other two as well, but haven't bought from them.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Hey Waulnet, 

thanks! 

Here's one on this forum (S18 that is) that looks like a good deal....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Hills? Well? We need more info. How much do you weigh? All of the wheels you mentioned are best depending on the rider. Any wheel can climb hills mountains are a bitt more difficult. A 150 pound rider can climb a 5,000 foot mountain.  

Ha excellent point. I’m about 195 and I’ll probably wear a camelback with 3 liters of water but but much else. I need to figure out great protective gear too. 

ewheels looks great. In fact some of the reviewer of the K18 say they love it but wish it had more power. 

The Veteran Abrams Off Road looks like a beast 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

could you recommend a good place to buy the S18? 

I've bought all my wheels from eWheels. Never had an issue with any wheel, but eWheels has always been responsive in communication. 

Euco was the first place I looked at when I was getting my first V10, but their response was a bit too slow so I ended up with eWheels. 

Used is a good idea to save some money.

But if you decide to buy new, you could use my referral link to help out with no extra cost for you 😅

https://www.ewheels.com/simonsays

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

@Luke Skywalker welcome to the addictive world of EUC.  There are many good wheels on the market and a few more on the way.  Many people would recommend learning on a non-suspension wheel.  A non-suspension wheel will enforce the fundamentals.  The same can be said for learning on a smaller diameter wheel.  You mentioned that climbing hills is important to you.  May I recommend considering the KS 16x.  Sure, it is a slow wheel - topping out at 31 mph.  But, besides the RS HT, the 16x has more torque than just about any other wheel currently out.  Wrong Way climbed a 45 degree incline on one.  The 16x gets about 40 - 45 miles at full send and over 60 miles if riding in the mid-low 20s mph.  It is compact, reliable, and available on the used market for a reasonable price.  Learn on something like the 16x, and then when the S20 is out you will be ready to step up to a performance suspension wheel. 

There are many paths to choose from.  I rarely read of people that are disappointed in their first wheel - whatever they choose.  So whatever you decide - enjoy the ride!!!

Greetings my friend!  You have convinced me on the 16x… the torque sounds amazing, which makes perfect sense from college physics due to the smaller wheel… 

It sounds like I may not even need the S20 truthfully. The 16x sounds like it’s good for off-roading and zooming up and down smooth grassy hills, and I may not ever want to go faster than 31 mph.  I’ve gone a little faster than that on my Fat Tire Luna ebike and it’s no joke at age 47. 

Thanks again! Now to figure out what other gear to get. Maybe a tire patch kit and little co2 air pump, a good helmet and some hard core pads. 

24 minutes ago, Waulnut said:

I've bought all my wheels from eWheels. Never had an issue with any wheel, but eWheels has always been responsive in communication. 

Euco was the first place I looked at when I was getting my first V10, but their response was a bit too slow so I ended up with eWheels. 

Used is a good idea to save some money.

But if you decide to buy new, you could use my referral link to help out with no extra cost for you 😅

https://www.ewheels.com/simonsays

Thanks Waulnut!  I’ll be buying from there and I’ll use your link 

27 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I’ll be buying from there and I’ll use your link 

Much appreciated!

27 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Now to figure out what other gear to get

Some gears I suggest,

Full face helmet of your preference

Fox racing titan pro elbow guards 

Leatt dual axis knee guards

Wrist guards, there's many. Heavy duty is demon flexmeter. I personally use flatland3d pro fingerless gloves for mobility and ease for daily use. 

16x is a great wheel. My fiancee dumped it many times and it's still rolling. The torque is amazing. Top speed could be a bit higher for safety since I like a decent buffer zone, but it will probably be trading the torque. I am waiting on the pre-order v12 from eWheels. Similar to 16x but higher top speed and less torque. 

Edited by Waulnut
  • Like 1

+1 for eWheels and +1 for 16X... they're a bit difficult to find on the used market because they're really nice, reliable wheels. I have 2400+ hard miles on mine (it's my learner and I like off road so I have been pretty rough with it) and the only thing that's gone wrong is the lift switch needs fixing. I do not go faster than 25 mph on mine because early on it would punish you, I don't know if that's still true of the new ones but I'm not willing to push it. I've a pre-order in for the S20—but for no valid reason. If I really think about it, I'd stick with my 16X because I don't enjoy going fast as much as some do... but I believe I want the suspension so will be adding to the collection. And I will be hanging onto the 16X, it'll always have a place in my stable... I like it that much.

Have fun with it. Don't worry about dropping it, or having it do cartwheels, it's realllllly tough. Get a Roll.nz cover if you don't want it to sport battle scars (or get one later to cover up the battle scars).

When you're learning, use cheap soccer ankle/shin guards in addition to the suite of protective gear. You will dump them after you're comfortable mounting and dismounting, but while you're reaching that goal having your lower leg protected will save you a scar or two. A pedal bite hurts like the dickens. I started with skater gear and after falling a couple of times I upgraded to Level 2 motorcycle gear. Very heavy stuff and a bit spendy, but I haven't said "dang that hurt" since. And I've taken many a tumble (I prefer off road... and snow).

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Hey Tawpie, 

I’d never heard of L2 motorcycle gear. Looks like exactly what I need… Not worried about the price (better than a trip to the emergency room!) 

I’m on a site called revzilla and they have some cool looking stuff. Do you go all out like head to toe?  Looks like they even have boots.  I’d kind of pictured wearing hiking boots but that seems like a dumb idea now 

18 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Greetings my friend!  You have convinced me on the 16x… the torque sounds amazing, which makes perfect sense from college physics due to the smaller wheel… 

A great wheel to start on and use for years to come. I think the s18 is a little lacknig in torque, so theres always that. I think they are well suited for a comfort rider. For a first wheel, a lower cog and perhaps durable shell design is beneficial.

I sometimes fully suit up in a custom tailored Aerostich suit. Even tho, I wear standard shoes. I KNOW boots would offer more protection, but its a compromise a LOT of us make, as we prefer feeling the pedals. There's always a fine line where gearing up for protection is mitigating some safety by impeding proper feedback and ride control. I've ridden in big boots and lived in some for years. As in skateboarding, I just prefer thinner shoes. Proper control and NOT crashing, is also a form of protection.

You mention that money is no object. Perhaps taking a look at custom tailored gear is an option for you? No matter what gear you choose, please make sure it fits. Ill fitting gear is worse than none. It gives false security, hinders wheel control, and empties your pockets. Whatever you wear, make it a worthy investment in both time, comfort and $$.

Welcome to the group! I look forwards to hearing how you get along once the euc bug bites. Learning was so much fun as it was a challenge and I never knew what was gna happen. Once learned, its amazingly fun as you can proudly glide along in a fashion that seems like utter insanity.:eff02be2d7:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I’d never heard of L2 motorcycle gear

sorry, that's me being lazy. I wear Rev'It motorcycle pants and hi-viz jacket with in-built armor certified to EN-some-alphabet-soup level 2 (highest level) on the shoulders, elbows, back, knees and hips. Tailbone is protected by a level 1 thing from Demon United (the tailbone pad that comes with the belt, not the Azzpadz), and chest and ribs covered by a level 1 Forcefield rib protector (intended for go-karting). The better half says it's my corset and if this was a fashion statement, I'd be mildly annoyed.

I mostly fall going slowly and like it that I can honestly say I haven't said "dang nab it that HURT" since spending the small fortune. I've gone off backwards onto rocks, sideways onto rocks and bushes, frontwards onto the pavement and my only injuries are to my shins from the pedals. Yeah, that still happens to me.

If you can afford it, it's worth the money. To me!!! Caveat: I'm old and allergic to rehab in all forms

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

custom tailored Aerostich suit

Wow I'm on the Aerostich site and these look amazing. I love the idea of just getting one of these and a helmet and not having to figure out a bunch of different things to buy.

Dumb question: How did you get it custom tailored?  Right through them? 

This one in black looks sweet: https://www.aerostich.com/suits/men-s-stealth-r-3-one-piece-suit.html

I'm also thinking of wearing this thing for skiing, probably with the back armor insert.  I hit a tree so hard in Salt Lake city a few years ago I'm surprised I didn't knock the thing down. Can't believe I didn't break something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

sorry, that's me being lazy. I wear Rev'It motorcycle pants and hi-viz jacket with in-built armor certified to EN-some-alphabet-soup level 2 (highest level) on the shoulders, elbows, back, knees and hips. Tailbone is protected by a level 1 thing from Demon United (the tailbone pad that comes with the belt, not the Azzpadz), and chest and ribs covered by a level 1 Forcefield rib protector (intended for go-karting). The better half says it's my corset and if this was a fashion statement, I'd be annoyed.

I mostly fall going slowly and like it that I can honestly say I haven't said "dang nab it that HURT" since spending the small fortune. I've gone off backwards onto rocks, sideways onto rocks and bushes, frontwards onto the pavement and my only injuries are to my shins from the pedals. Yeah, that still happens to me.

If you can afford it, it's worth the money. To me!!! Caveat: I'm old and allergic to rehab in all forms

Oh yeah totally.  I was telling my wife about when I was a kid and I would've gotten my a$$ kicked for riding my bike wearing a helmet.  Nobody did it.  I used to lay on my skateboard and fly down the hill at the end of the street headfirst.  Again no helmet.  Can't believe none of us cracked our skulls back then

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Wow I'm on the Aerostich site and these look amazing. I love the idea of just getting one of these and a helmet and not having to figure out a bunch of different things to buy.

Dumb question: How did you get it custom tailored?  Right through them? 

This one in black looks sweet: https://www.aerostich.com/suits/men-s-stealth-r-3-one-piece-suit.html

I'm also thinking of wearing this thing for skiing, probably with the back armor insert.  I hit a tree so hard in Salt Lake city a few years ago I'm surprised I didn't knock the thing down. Can't believe I didn't break something.

Aero-Sherm-1.jpg

Yes, they walk you thru the sizing. They stock a lot of common sizes, but can change to suit. It did take a LONG time and I'm not sure how suitable it would be for skiing. For maximum effectiveness, suits need to fit pretty snug. I HATE snug clothing, but it has to be that way for pads to stay in place during impact and slides. Because it fits closely, it would be difficult to layer up, unless you intended them size it for that specific purpose. The fabric is VERY durable but also not very compliant (its goretex also). I hear they break in over time, but man thats a long time. You also have to specify 'rider position', and I chose upright, as an euc is primarily that. When I crouch REALLY low, the suit does get tight over me edges. Mine has knees, hips, elbows, chest, shoulders, back. Waterproof, so YES, you melt if you arent moving. It does keep me dry and warmish becuase of the goretex, if i close it up in winter.  I dont know if cold weahter skiing is ideal. I think maybe just quit hitting tress, and wear purple ski pants like I do. Be sure to wear a green coat but it has to be lime/80's green. Thats what I wear for snowboarding and I havent hit many trees. Of course, skiing maybe needs orange and sky blue? :)

I would suggest calling them on the phone. They are a good ole fashioned small american bizz. Some old lady (i forget her name), will likely answer and if you need, she will hold your hand and do everything to help. I half expected my suit to arrive with warm cookies... Be warned, Grandma needs paid and these things do take time. I have a few vids wearing mine. I do think the suit may outlive me..:thumbup:

fwiw, i did the elbow smash test when choosing armor inserts. It was painfully obvious the difference. I FULLY suggest going the hard shell upgrade. Its a bit less comfy, but the other soft stock armor left my elbow sore for over a week. Yeah, real world testing sometimes sucks. The smaller back pad is pretty good and covers the spine. The larger is good too, and covers more. Aside from the larger being warmer, theres little comfort difference.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 10:25 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Aero-Sherm-1.jpg

Yes, they walk you thru the sizing. They stock a lot of common sizes, but can change to suit. It did take a LONG time and I'm not sure how suitable it would be for skiing. For maximum effectiveness, suits need to fit pretty snug. I HATE snug clothing, but it has to be that way for pads to stay in place during impact and slides. Because it fits closely, it would be difficult to layer up, unless you intended them size it for that specific purpose. The fabric is VERY durable but also not very compliant (its goretex also). I hear they break in over time, but man thats a long time. You also have to specify 'rider position', and I chose upright, as an euc is primarily that. When I crouch REALLY low, the suit does get tight over me edges. Mine has knees, hips, elbows, chest, shoulders, back. Waterproof, so YES, you melt if you arent moving. It does keep me dry and warmish becuase of the goretex, if i close it up in winter.  I dont know if cold weahter skiing is ideal. I think maybe just quit hitting tress, and wear purple ski pants like I do. Be sure to wear a green coat but it has to be lime/80's green. Thats what I wear for snowboarding and I havent hit many trees. Of course, skiing maybe needs orange and sky blue? :)

I would suggest calling them on the phone. They are a good ole fashioned small american bizz. Some old lady (i forget her name), will likely answer and if you need, she will hold your hand and do everything to help. I half expected my suit to arrive with warm cookies... Be warned, Grandma needs paid and these things do take time. I have a few vids wearing mine. I do think the suit may outlive me..:thumbup:

fwiw, i did the elbow smash test when choosing armor inserts. It was painfully obvious the difference. I FULLY suggest going the hard shell upgrade. Its a bit less comfy, but the other soft stock armor left my elbow sore for over a week. Yeah, real world testing sometimes sucks. The smaller back pad is pretty good and covers the spine. The larger is good too, and covers more. Aside from the larger being warmer, theres little comfort difference.

Whoah dude, you look bad ass.  You just need a cape to billow out behind you while you blast down the road like Batman

So it's pretty hot to wear during warm weather?  I kind of figured that. 

I'm thinking of getting the Stealth R-3; is that the one you have? https://www.aerostich.com/suits/men-s-stealth-r-3-one-piece-suit.html

I'm going to call the little old lady tomorrow and get the exact armor options you suggested.  Hopefully she knows how to bake snickerdoodles

Thanks again!

(p.s. the trick to not skiing like a clown is to not learn when you're like 30 years old...)

skiing like a clown

If you're old enough, you can ride like a circus bear and the requisite pink tutu goes well with the Stealth Aerostich. Clashes a bit with my hi-viz Power Ranger getup though. Kids run away crying... pretty sure it's the color mismatch.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

Whoah dude, you look bad ass.  You just need a cape to billow out behind you while you blast down the road like Batman

So it's pretty hot to wear during warm weather?  I kind of figured that. 

I'm thinking of getting the Stealth R-3; is that the one you have? https://www.aerostich.com/suits/men-s-stealth-r-3-one-piece-suit.html

I'm going to call the little old lady tomorrow and get the exact armor options you suggested.  Hopefully she knows how to bake snickerdoodles

Thanks again!

(p.s. the trick to not skiing like a clown is to not learn when you're like 30 years old...)

Yup, thats the one. It has venting across the back, but the pad mitigates it. Yeah, its warm when not moving. Its really not hot once rolling, even in the sun. Feel free to PM with any questions. No need to clutter this topic with such specifics. They DID send me a stock size as close to right as they figured. I tried it on and mentioned what needed adjusted. It was THEN that my purchase became non-refundable as I sent that back and they made me another. I really can slip it on over my street clothes in about 45seconds. Of course its not as comfy as riding carefree and dangerous, but its not so bad I wont wear it. Tbf, I also have a supermoto and figure it could work for that on rainy days.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

first run of any device is a gamble.  since its your 1st wheel,  get a used wheel to tide you over till kingsong addresses any S20 problems.

plus, since its your 1st wheel,  you dont have to worry about trashing it in any falls and accidents - abuse your 1st used wheel.  when you finally

get around to purchasing the S20 (after all major problems have been found and resolved),  who knows what else other manufacturers have

to offer ?  or by then, the S20 2nd edition will be better than the 1st offering ?  dont be in a hurry to drop a few thousand dollars,  thats all im

saying...  im very tempted myself at getting an S20, ... its not the cost but the fact that this is its 1st year production run.  the euc community has

seen its share of 2020 and 2021 new model introductions,  and most had their problems.  get something that is proven for the time being, ...

unless you have a beautiful money tree growing in your backyard,  ignore the media hype and peer pressure and use some common sense.

lastly,  good luck in your first wheel quest !!!

• Like 3