Buying My First EUC. Looking for Some Help!

Hi everyone, thanks for reading! 

I started with a hoverboard and didn't realize it was more of a toy than a real mode of transportation so I'm ready to get my first EUC! My primary purposes for wanting one is:

1) Cruising around town and exploring new areas near and far

2) Going to hiking trails near the mountains by my house for SOME off-roading

3) Going over curbs/dirt roads when the road or sidewalk ends

My budget is around $2500 but if I don't need to spend it all that would also be great. My eyes have bee on the InMotion V11 but I'm not sure if I'm just preferring that one because I know it's a newer model. Also, how important is suspension? I imagine it would be needed if I want to go on trails and over cracks in the road and stuff. Are there any power banks out there that can charge an EUC?  Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

• Like 1

Good news, You have a lot of good options. Bad news, you have a lot of options. 
If you are heavy I would stay away from the smaller wheels. Suspension is not needed off road, but it is nice. I liked it when it came out. Now I am back to the non suspension wheels. The people that like to push the limits on jumping and speed on and off road tend to use non suspension wheels. I suspect that a few years from now when more powerful suspension wheels are common thing might change. 

You have to start somewhere. Name just about any wheel and someone thinks it is the best, some one else will say it is the worst. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 2

suspension isnt required but its a bonus(if you prioritize it) if built correctly. Its all about compromises.

Watch a ton of youtube vids and see if theres anyone in particular that rides like/where you intend to. What are they riding?

You will get answers all over the place as its mostly opinions. My signature contains my favorites for MY needs.

Biggest thing to do is buy one. None are perfect, none do it all. But if you have NONE, thats what you get, nothing. Newer or more expensive doesnt translate to better or more fitting. Ignore the hype and try to figure out exactly what priorities you think need top of the list. Good luck and have fun. They are all a freaking blast!

Range/Weight/Speed/Brand/Cost/Size/Torque/Durability/Comfort/Music/Availability...  just a few to put on the list. None are best at them all.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Good news, You have a lot of good options. Bad news, you have a lot of options. 
If you are heavy I would stay away from the smaller wheels. Suspension is not needed off road, but it is nice. I liked it when it came out. Now I am back to the non suspension wheels. The people that like to push the limits on jumping and speed on and off road tend to use non suspension wheels. I suspect that a few years from now when more powerful suspension wheels are common thing might change. 

You have to start somewhere. Name just about any wheel and someone thinks it is the best, some one else will say it is the worst. 

Very helpful. Thanks! If you have any recommendations on EUCs you like please let me know. I've been looking on YouTube but there's so much to consider. Thanks again!

11 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

suspension isnt required but its a bonus(if you prioritize it) if built correctly. Its all about compromises.

Watch a ton of youtube vids and see if theres anyone in particular that rides like/where you intend to. What are they riding?

You will get answers all over the place as its mostly opinions. My signature contains my favorites for MY needs.

Biggest thing to do is buy one. None are perfect, none do it all. But if you have NONE, thats what you get, nothing. Newer or more expensive doesnt translate to better or more fitting. Ignore the hype and try to figure out exactly what priorities you think need top of the list. Good luck and have fun. They are all a freaking blast!

Thanks fo the tips!  If you have any recommendations on EUCs you like please let me know. I've been looking on YouTube but there's so much to consider. Thanks again!

• Like 1

I can only speak from what wheels cater to my specific needs. My opinion isnt any more likely better for your needs, than what you already know. I have the 3 wheels I have, because they fit MY needs. My all around favorite is my 18xl. The 18L comes close, but my 18XL with 2kw motor affords my dumb ass more headroom. However, its not great for curb jumping and its not great for offroad. My channel is full of biased opinions and mindless drivel, including rides on my wheels and how I prefer to use them. My needs are probably not same as yours, so there is no real good answer. What one COULD gleam from my preferences is... it takes 3 wheels to meet my "needs". Four, if you include a suspension wheel, when they finally make a decent one with music and good price. :eff02be2d7:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I can only speak from what wheels cater to my specific needs. My opinion isnt any more likely better for your needs, than what you already know. I have the 3 wheels I have, because they fit MY needs. My all around favorite is my 18xl. The 18L comes close, but my 18XL with 2kw motor affords my dumb ass more headroom. However, its not great for curb jumping and its not great for offroad. My channel is full of biased opinions and mindless drivel, including rides on my wheels and how I prefer to use them. My needs are probably not same as yours, so there is no real good answer.

Good advice. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

The 18XL is a safe choice. It would be perfect if the tire was wider. 
The MSX , RS19 are my favorite wheels for off road. They are not as well finished as other wheels and have other possible problems……….. Yet still my favorite ride for the woods. 
V11- S18 eat speed bumps and are easy to ride down steps. ………… I am not getting rid of S18 but I feel disconnected from the road. ???? 
The Nikola is pretty good all around.
The 16X is good for light people off road. 
High speed road cruising- Sherman 

Super helpful. Thank you!

Welcome! I’d say keep an open mind when thinking about buying EUCs since it’s pretty rare for someone’s eventual favorite main wheel being the first wheel they ever purchased. For most folks, it’s easier to learn on smaller and lighter wheels, and then once they get some confidence, experience, and preferences on what wheel best suits them (usually a heavier, more powerful wheel) they either sell that lighter wheel and buy the new preferred wheel, or they keep that lighter wheel around as a backup wheel, for commuting, or teaching others, or for whenever they want to just experience a light wheel ride feel again and don’t want to lug a big heavy wheel around.

For context, my journey was Ninebot One E+ ($300 refurbished learner wheel, given to my Dad to start learning on), Gotway Tesla v2 ($1250 new, My first main wheel, now a backup wheel kept around for lighter weight and train commuting purposes), and Gotway Nikola+ AR ($2500 new, main wheel, chosen due to being the lightest and cheapest big battery wheel that can hit at least 35 mph and has decent waterproofing and durability, basically my ideal preference for a wheel right now).

I also bought a MTen3 for my 7 year old daughter ($300 used on Craigslist, her main wheel) but I’m scared of riding it and breaking the axel at my weight, so I count that wheel as hers and not part of my Monocycle journey.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheSlyGiraffEV said:

Welcome! I’d say keep an open mind when thinking about buying EUCs since it’s pretty rare for someone’s eventual favorite main wheel being the first wheel they ever purchased. For most folks, it’s easier to learn on smaller and lighter wheels, and then once they get some confidence, experience, and preferences on what wheel best suits them (usually a heavier, more powerful wheel) they either sell that lighter wheel and buy the new preferred wheel, or they keep that lighter wheel around as a backup wheel, for commuting, or teaching others, or for whenever they want to just experience a light wheel ride feel again and don’t want to lug a big heavy wheel around.

For context, my journey was Ninebot One E+ ($300 refurbished learner wheel, given to my Dad to start learning on), Gotway Tesla v2 ($1250 new, My first main wheel, now a backup wheel kept around for lighter weight and train commuting purposes), and Gotway Nikola+ AR ($2500 new, main wheel, chosen due to being the lightest and cheapest big battery wheel that can hit at least 35 mph and has decent waterproofing and durability, basically my ideal preference for a wheel right now).

I also bought a MTen3 for my 7 year old daughter ($300 used on Craigslist, her main wheel) but I’m scared of riding it and breaking the axel at my weight, so I count that wheel as hers and not part of my Monocycle journey.

I'll look into those for sure. InMotion seemed to be the brand I heard the most online but it seems like there's other brands that seem more preferable. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

Suspension is important if you have dodgy knees or are getting older and want to minimise the impact on them. 

If you buy a suspension wheel as your first EUC you will learn with a higher pedal height. This will seem normal to you.

Non suspension wheels gives more road feedback to the rider as stated above. But you won't realise this starting on a suspension set-up.

I must confess I do like the feedback it gives but not that much to change. 

There is a propensity to ride more lazily posture wise on a suspension wheel. Learning on a standard teaches better posture in my opinion anyway.

If you want to learn how to handle all the wheel without impacting on your body/ legs as much I imagine its easier on a lighter wheel. (Unfortunately suspension wheels are quite heavy). I liken it to weight training, its easier to start on a lower weight and progress up than to go straight onto a heavy dumbell. So this will also depend on how fit you are right now.  A slight catch 22. Ultimately which ever you choose you will learn the basics easily enough. Enjoy!

• Like 1

InMotion- Mama said if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all. ………………………………

The V11 and V12 seem to be exceptionally good wheels. I would suggest one to a friend if they didn’t like any Kingsong wheels. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Suspension is important if you have dodgy knees or are getting older and want to minimise the impact on them. 

If you buy a suspension wheel as your first EUC you will learn with a higher pedal height. This will seem normal to you.

Non suspension wheels gives more road feedback to the rider as stated above. But you won't realise this starting on a suspension set-up.

I must confess I do like the feedback it gives but not that much to change. 

There is a propensity to ride more lazily posture wise on a suspension wheel. Learning on a standard teaches better posture in my opinion anyway.

If you want to learn how to handle all the wheel without impacting on your body/ legs as much I imagine its easier on a lighter wheel. (Unfortunately suspension wheels are quite heavy). I liken it to weight training, its easier to start on a lower weight and progress up than to go straight onto a heavy dumbell. So this will also depend on how fit you are right now.  A slight catch 22. Ultimately which ever you choose you will learn the basics easily enough. Enjoy!

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

InMotion- Mama said if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all. ……………. They have really nice fit and finish. They are very impressive on the outside.

The V11 and V12 seem to be exceptionally good wheels. I would suggest one to a friend if they didn’t like any Kingsong wheels. 

I was looking at the 16x. It seems to have a better range compared to the InMotion ones. My only concern is making sure I can run over gravel, over streets curbs, etc. Thanks for the help!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DanceAnthonyDance said:

I was looking at the 16x. It seems to have a better range compared to the InMotion ones. My only concern is making sure I can run over gravel, over streets curbs, etc. Thanks for the help!

Gravel is easily managed on most wheels. The 16x can do that fine. Ability to jump UP curbs is typically more about the rider than the wheel. Going down curbs is doable by almost anyone on any wheel. From what I gather, the 16x is a fine wheel, so long as you arent a heavy person and constantly riding in the mid 20's mph. Most places in USA conformed to handicapped ramps everydamnwhere at one time in history. Even small towns have so many ramps instead of curbs, its quite comical. I rarely HAVE to jump curbs, even in town, as the ramps are everywhere.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Every wheel is going to have a weak area. 

it is like playing a game of rock paper scissors. The 16X is great (one of the best

) off road for people under 200 ponds. great range. Nimble and smooth riding. It takes bumps like a champ. It is a good quality wheel. 

Down side, water proofing is not as good as other wheels and even though it is rated at 30 mph, I personally would not go over 25 mph on it. It does not have as much speed headroom as other KingSong wheels. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Gravel is easily managed on most wheels. The 16x can do that fine. Ability to jump UP curbs is typically more about the rider than the wheel. Going down curbs is doable by almost anyone on any wheel. From what I gather, the 16x is a fine wheel, so long as you arent a heavy person and constantly riding in the mid 20's mph. Most places in USA conformed to handicapped ramps everydamnwhere at one time in history. Even small towns have so many ramps instead of curbs, its quite comical. I rarely HAVE to jump curbs, even in town, as the ramps are everywhere.

Thanks for the help! I have it narrowed down to these four:

1) 16s

2)16xs

3)18xl

4)V8S

I'm hoping I can make a decision on one today hahaha. Seriously, you (along with everyone else) have been so helpful. You guys rock!

9 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Every wheel is going to have a weak area. 

it is like playing a game of rock paper scissors. The 16X is great (one of the best

) off road for people under 200 ponds. great range. Nimble and smooth riding. It takes bumps like a champ. It is a good quality wheel. 

Down side, water proofing is not as good as other wheels and even though it is rated at 30 mph, I personally would not go over 25 mph on it. It does not have as much speed headroom as other KingSong wheels. 

Noted. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DanceAnthonyDance said:

Thanks for the help! I have it narrowed down to these four:

1) 16s

2)16xs

3)18xl

4)V8S

I'm hoping I can make a decision on one today hahaha.

The 16S is a great starter wheel and offers great range and speed for it's weight but it's not going to be great off road. There's a V8F but not a V8S, the V8F is similar to the 16S but offers slightly less in almost all regards. The 16XS only has half the battery power of the normal 16X and power is your friend.

You haven't said what weight you are - that can make a huge difference in which wheel you should get. You haven't said how far you want to travel on/off road. It's also worth stating what speed you want to realistically travel at - keep in mind that at 20mph an EUC is a fairly relaxing mode of transport and still way faster than a bicycle but at 30mph you're in for a world of hurt if you fall off. Will you ever have to lift the wheel up stairs or into the boot of a car - fast long range wheels weigh a tonne. 

I really wouldn't make a decision quickly - it really is too easy to make the wrong choice.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

The 16S is a great starter wheel and offers great range and speed for it's weight but it's not going to be great off road. There's a V8F but not a V8S, the V8F is similar to the 16S but offers slightly less in almost all regards. The 16XS only has half the battery power of the normal 16X and power is your friend.

You haven't said what weight you are - that can make a huge difference in which wheel you should get. You haven't said how far you want to travel on/off road. It's also worth stating what speed you want to realistically travel at - keep in mind that at 20mph an EUC is a fairly relaxing mode of transport and still way faster than a bicycle but at 30mph you're in for a world of hurt if you fall off. Will you ever have to lift the wheel up stairs or into the boot of a car - fast long range wheels weigh a tonne. 

I really wouldn't make a decision quickly - it really is too easy to make the wrong choice.

I'm 180-185 lbs. Total travel I'm thinking 10-15 miles to start. 20 mph sounds great for me. I'm looking more to cruise/explore than to go super fast and do jumps (maybe some jumps but nothing huge). The weight shouldn't be an issue for me since I won't need to lift it a lot. Thank you for the help!

If those are your real requirements then a V10F would cover your needs and save you money. They're also fairly well made wheels and can be bought with an inexpensive cover that protects the wheel while learning. After a year or so you might start hankering for a more powerful wheel. The 18XL is a great all rounder, it's moderately easy to learn on, it's rugged, has great range, is great on the roads and is so so off road. The 16X is similar and is more manoeuvrable for off road etc but slower (25mph). The Nikola plus is similar to the 16X but has a more powerful motor and is much faster on the road but in a less ergonomic package.

Personally I'd go with the 16X or the 18XL but if you'd rather spend less and still get a wheel that does everything you currently want then I'd go for the V10F.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

If those are your real requirements then a V10F would cover your needs and save you money. They're also fairly well made wheels and can be bought with an inexpensive cover that protects the wheel while learning. After a year or so you might start hankering for a more powerful wheel. The 18XL is a great all rounder, it's moderately easy to learn on, it's rugged, has great range, is great on the roads and is so so off road. The 16X is similar and is more manoeuvrable for off road etc but slower (25mph). The Nikola plus is similar to the 16X but has a more powerful motor and is much faster on the road but in a less ergonomic package.

Personally I'd go with the 16X or the 18XL but if you'd rather spend less and still get a wheel that does everything you currently want then I'd go for the V10F.

I was looking at the V10F but when reading the description on the ewheels website it said "If you live in a particularly hilly region, other Wheels may be more suitable for your needs." I live in New Mexico so I had to rule this one out unfortunately because of all the mountains/hills. I finally have it down to either a 16S or a 16XS hahaha. Thank you for your help!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DanceAnthonyDance said:

I was looking at the V10F but when reading the description on the ewheels website it said "If you live in a particularly hilly region, other Wheels may be more suitable for your needs." I live in New Mexico so I had to rule this one out unfortunately because of all the mountains/hills. I finally have it down to either a 16S or a 16XS hahaha. Thank you for your help!!

Since you have a budget large enough, I would suggest the V10F of the 3 you mention.  Im a mere 130lbs and I can ride a 1000ah 84v wheel down to throttling in about 20 miles at 20mph. I wuoldnt focus too much on the claim that the v10F can't handle hills. Is having a lower alarm threshold a bad thing anyhow? I'd worry more about battery size and sag mostly, until you become a rider that really cranks out some technique anyhow.

I really do think you may find a better match with an 18XL or something with at least 1000ah. Battery size is your friend. As you dip into the battery from riding miles, you begin to lose headroom. Think of the last 20% of your battery as merely a buffer.  The v10F is a nice wheel as well and is only 35% less battery than the 18xl/16x. If you fancy street more than off-road, an 18 will trump a 16 for comfort. Also come to terms with the fact taht you may own more than one wheel in no time. Just be sure to get a good one as your first, as youll want a decent wheel while you save up for the next. I've been riding a while and I honestly havent outgrown any of my wheels, nor did I waste money on something that couldnt tote the note. buy once, cry once...

If you keep your eyes open for a deal on a used wheel, its likely you could even resell it and break near even, at the off chance you just simply don't like it. Just like cars, New wheels lose value after the first mile. Unlike cars, new wheels havent gone thru much QC testing, keep your paperwork.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DanceAnthonyDance said:

I finally have it down to either a 16S or a 16XS

I learned on the 16XS and liked it so much that I added the second battery to make it nearly a 16x... 'nearly' because the xs firmware limits the top speed about 3 mph slower than the real 'X'. The end cost was very close to buying an X in the first place. Personally, I'd recommend skipping the xs and go straight for the bigger battery. More battery equates to more safety margin and more safety margin reduces your chances of over powering the wheel.

Do know that the 16x has a reputation for being very unforgiving at or near its maximum speed. I keep my tiltback at 25 mph even though the factory limit for an xs is 28.

Very few wheels, even the big boys, can match the thrust you get from the 16x. It runs super cool so I haven't ever worried about overheating it, even riding hilly terrain at 100F (I was baking though, and couldn't stop or I'd sous vide in my own juices). Granted, I have to run around in the shower to get wet so I don't stress the wheel as much as you will, but the 16x is the low temperature champ on MartyB's overheat hill.

I wouldn't bother with the 16s unless you see yourself as an uber casual rider, just heading to the market or for a 10 mile exploration. The really nice thing about big battery is that I don't blink an eye at facing a 60 mile outing—I go 15-18 mph and arrive home with 35% battery (see above about the shower though, you'll want to get a good handle on your personal battery usage).

Edited by Tawpie
most of the time I go slower than 18-20!
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I learned on the 16XS and liked it so much that I added the second battery to make it nearly a 16x... 'nearly' because the xs firmware limits the top speed about 3 mph slower than the real 'X'. The end cost was very close to buying an X in the first place. Personally, I'd recommend skipping the xs and go straight for the bigger battery. More battery equates to more safety margin and more safety margin reduces your chances of over powering the wheel.

Do know that the 16x has a reputation for being very unforgiving at or near its maximum speed. I keep my tiltback at 25 mph even though the factory limit for an xs is 28.

Very few wheels, even the big boys, can match the thrust you get from the 16x. It runs super cool so I haven't ever worried about overheating it, even riding hilly terrain at 100F (I was baking though, and couldn't stop or I'd sous vide in my own juices). Granted, I have to run around in the shower to get wet so I don't stress the wheel as much as you will, but the 16x is the low temperature champ on MartyB's overheat hill.

I wouldn't bother with the 16s unless you see yourself as an uber casual rider, just heading to the market or for a 10 mile exploration. The really nice thing about big battery is that I don't blink an eye at facing a 60 mile outing—I go 15-18 mph and arrive home with 35% battery (see above about the shower though, you'll want to get a good handle on your personal battery usage).

That was super helpful thank you! I decided and ordered the 16XS today! I wanted the 16X but I decided that the extra $500 is better spent on making sure I have a proper helmet and other safety gear. Thank you to everyone who commented and helped me come to this decision! I hope others will benefit from this thread as well. EUC people are pretty cool :efee6b18f3: