3rd S18 problem...anyone knows what caused it?

Paulo Mesquita

Hello friends,

Today, after keeping my S18 fully charged for 12 days, I went for another ride. Around the 20km mark I stopped at a coffee shop to get an expresso. When I mounted again I noticed that the left plastic cover on the S18 was totally detached to the top from the wheel in the front. I tried to press it in but it won't go back in. It's like something is forcing it outwards.

I haven't crashed the wheel or fallen at all since it came back. It only has 250kms on the EUC World log and I don't understand what caused it. Since it seems not to go back inward when I press I'm worried that it might be due to heat or a swollen battery pressing the plastic cover outward.

Can someone help me with a hint or solution, please? Bear in mind I'm no mechanic or mechanical savvy. 

@ShanesPlanet, @mrelwood, ...anyone?

S18.jpg

Mine came missing some inner fender screws. THey are hard to spot and go thru a thin metal rail right there. I don't THINK this is how those external panels are held in place. Iirc, they were more a tab setup. Do as @The Fat Unicyclist mentions and gently remove the panel. It should pop off easily. Make sure nothing is in the way. Its either on wrong, being forced out by something inside, or warped. It shouldnt be too hard to see wtf is wrong, as you have a side the is right...

• Like 2

If it helps, this photo shows the mounting positions...

S18 Left Front Panel...

Just pull the plastic pad back at the key positions and remove the screws. With both removed you can then pull the panel out at the back and push it forward (toward the front of the wheel) and it should just pop off. 

If something is stuck in there and you can remove it, then reassembly is just "hooking" the back tabs in place, sliding the front edge back into position and then replacing the screws (behind the pad).

Have fun, and welcome to owning an EUC. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

If it helps, this photo shows the mounting positions...

S18 Left Front Panel...

Just pull the plastic pad back at the key positions and remove the screws. With both removed you can then pull the panel out at the back and push it forward (toward the front of the wheel) and it should just pop off. 

If something is stuck in there and you can remove it, then reassembly is just "hooking" the back tabs in place, sliding the front edge back into position and then replacing the screws (behind the pad).

Have fun, and welcome to owning an EUC. 

Thanks mate. This is great and I'm gonna do it tonight. You're a great help!!!!

In the meantime I got an answer back from MyEWheel:

Greetings Paulo,

It is unlikely the battery to be swollen, because it is held in a metal casing and is fairly far from the outer panel that is popping out. It is likely that the bolt of the panel has become loose from vibrations or the little tab that secures it to the front of the shell underneath has come loose and some debris might have gotten in, preventing it from closing properly. Please take it out and check, here is a video on how to take it out. 

Best Regards,

Ivaylo 

• Like 1