Jump to content

Tell me about the Nikola+ good & Bad


Recommended Posts

Right now I'm loving my S18. Looking to add another wheel. Don't know of I should wait for the v12.. wait for a few years (I can). Or get a tried and true wheel. The 18xl looks great but I'm actually kind of scared of the Kingsong Tilt back. And as I'm getting better and better, my speed keeps improving and I'm afraid of hitting that tilt back point. I have it set to 29mph but if I'm going 29mph and it tilts me back I'll probably crash! 

 

The only off putting things about the NK+ so far is, it's top heavy, it wobbles, it has a smaller wheel.. (less stable)? No official seat. Trolly sucks. No kick stand.. wtf?! Why wasn't that a thing all wheels had since day #1. Lol 

 I hear a lot of good things as well. How easy is it to work on? Would you recommend it over an 18XL? will the 16" wheel make a big difference? How's QC.. I know Inmotion and KS are working hard to increase QC and set the standard. Hoes Gotway on that front? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, No1up said:

Right now I'm loving my S18. Looking to add another wheel. Don't know of I should wait for the v12.. wait for a few years (I can). Or get a tried and true wheel. The 18xl looks great but I'm actually kind of scared of the Kingsong Tilt back. And as I'm getting better and better, my speed keeps improving and I'm afraid of hitting that tilt back point. I have it set to 29mph but if I'm going 29mph and it tilts me back I'll probably crash! 

 

The only off putting things about the NK+ so far is, it's top heavy, it wobbles, it has a smaller wheel.. (less stable)? No official seat. Trolly sucks. No kick stand.. wtf?! Why wasn't that a thing all wheels had since day #1. Lol 

 I hear a lot of good things as well. How easy is it to work on? Would you recommend it over an 18XL? will the 16" wheel make a big difference? How's QC.. I know Inmotion and KS are working hard to increase QC and set the standard. Hoes Gotway on that front? 

 

The tilt back is usually pretty gentle, especially if you don't slam into the speed limit (shouldn't do that on s18 at 29 mph anyways). You could set tiltback to like 10 mph just to get a feel for it. (as @bracky72 said)

I don't know if the 18xl would be a very good upgrade from the s18, it's just as fast and the battery isn't all that much bigger. If you're starting to think about top speed, I would recommend getting a 100v next. I really love the RS, but you've got to be really careful with water. I don't think top heaviness would really be an issue with the Nik, RS is top heavy and it was no problem at all for me. Wobbles have to do with the rider, some wheels are more prone to it, but in the end it is the rider. Either way you will get used to whatever wheel you get.

You might want to see how the v12 and revised RS19 (smaller motor bore in an attempt to fix bearing issues) pan out as they are both alternatives to the Nik+. As for the Nik+, I hear it is one of the better gotways in terms of the water resistance and durability. The advice that I often see given here (and I agree) is to go with your instinct. There will be a wheel that you keep going back to, get that one. The fact that you asked about the Nik+ and not the v12 or 18xl suggests to me that it's that wheel. In the end however, it's a decision only you can make.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotway seems to be... trying... with QC. The overall build quality may not be the best, although to be fair my RS has taken it's fair share of tumbles and has nothing but a few scratches. You will want to do a quick inspection (loose screws, cracks, etc,) before riding. Major problems like a wheel that is dead on arrival should be covered by your dealer, assuming you buy from a good one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what the v12 2500w motor brings to the table over the NK+ 2200.. I might just pre order the v12. I keep coming across the center of gravity problem on the NK+

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of different versions of the Nikola out there, which I think leads to a lot of inconsistency when it comes to wobble concerns. For example, I think earlier Nikola versions positioned their battery packs differently which led to more wobble effect. Other Nikolas had a different stock tire that also led to more wobbles, but newer Nikolas come with a different tire less prone to wobbles.

 

Lastly, my Nik+AR has added weight due to the extra battery pack which has made the wheel feel more planted. For what it’s worth, Since adapting to this Nikola (lowered tire pressure, offset stance, steady carving), I haven’t really encountered wobbles and I think it’s plenty stable. It does have the 16” wheel which means at higher speed, it won’t be as stable as 18+” diameter wheels, but all 16” wheels are pretty much like that, not just the Nik.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Nik+ came with 1/2 the lift sensor broken, NIB.  Quality control isn't great.  I bought this wheel as my second wheel in 2020, so it wans't exactly a new model.   The trolley handle screws constant came loose until I got sick of it & locktited them.  OUtside of those 2 issues I've had 0 problerms, but I keep it under 40km/h and no sudden start/stops.

Edited by /Dev/Null
weel -> wheel
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bracky72 said:

I’m loving mine but if I’m comparing it to my 16x it isn’t nearly as comfortable to ride. The body is fatter and the pedals are closer together. This means you’re squeezing the body most all the time. I can ride my 16x without making contact with the wheel body. And a wider stance is naturally more stable.  The nik+ is also taller and certain models stick a battery high above the wheel.  You can feel the inertia of this mass at times. But I’m nitpicking. The performance is awesome. I’m not sure the v12 will actually be faster.  And the range of the 2700 ar+ is just great. :)  

Yup! Everything you just said ... :eff034a94a:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having rode the AR+ for a few hundred miles or so, I would definitely recommend it for the speed, the range, and the size. If you're looking at 16 inch wheels only, I don't think you will be disappointed with the nikola.

 

I also think the quality is there - it's like the 5th generation of nikolas vs. gen 1 of v12s. I think the v12 is gonna be a solid wheel, but the Nikola is very robust. And if you get it from alienrides there's a 2 year warranty there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, euctherapy said:

whats the other wheel?

 

3 hours ago, bracky72 said:

You’re going to love it. :)

Any pad recommendations for it? I was thinking clark pads

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully yours comes with the begode pads. Try them before you go spending more money. They are pretty good for being free. Also consider a roll.nz bodyguard. It covers the additional alienride ring light but does have a cutout for the voltage readout. It makes the body grip your legs better and holds the trolly handle down. 
 

I’m considering the begode honeycomb pedals for mine. They look a good bit longer then stock. I have size 12 shoes so this should be good for me. They don’t look any wider which I would like also but I guess pedal scrape becomes an issue.  I love my wide 16x stance. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this Nik is so wide and the pedals so close together, body gripping should be easy for most people's legs. The bodyguard will help with that when wearing long pants and the smooth sides would become slippery. When wearing shorts the smooth sides are already grippy for skin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bracky72 said:

Hopefully yours comes with the begode pads. Try them before you go spending more money. They are pretty good for being free. Also consider a roll.nz bodyguard. It covers the additional alienride ring light but does have a cutout for the voltage readout. It makes the body grip your legs better and holds the trolly handle down. 
 

I’m considering the begode honeycomb pedals for mine. They look a good bit longer then stock. I have size 12 shoes so this should be good for me. They don’t look any wider which I would like also but I guess pedal scrape becomes an issue.  I love my wide 16x stance. :)

Do let me know if you find wider peddles that work. I was hoping for pads that would let me lean on them a bit while accelerating and back a bit while breaking. Nothing major, I try to ride responsibly but a little extra has to be better than nothing. Lol

 

The sleeve to me just takes away so much of the beauty.. can you still see the L.E.Ds? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bracky72 said:

I’m considering the begode honeycomb pedals for mine. They look a good bit longer then stock. I have size 12 shoes so this should be good for me. They don’t look any wider which I would like also but I guess pedal scrape becomes an issue.  I love my wide 16x stance. :)

I just got these and put these on. I have a size 13 shoe and it feels great not having my toes hang off the front. This is my first experience with spiked pedals, so it's nice to have that feeling of my shoes glued to the pedal over bumps.

 

I'm not entirely sure how the adjustable pedal tilt works. It feels flatter, which is more comfortable to me.

 

I'm looking forward to taking this on a long ride to see if it feels more comfortable.

 

My only issue is that the pedals don't stay up anymore when walking it around. The magnets don't hold  I put up some Velcro strips to keep it in place for now.

Edited by TheSlyGiraffEV
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheSlyGiraffEV said:

Not wider. About the same width as the stock pedals, but definitely longer.

I'd be interested in your experience with them after a long ride.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2021 at 10:22 PM, No1up said:

Right now I'm loving my S18. Looking to add another wheel. Don't know of I should wait for the v12.. wait for a few years (I can). Or get a tried and true wheel. The 18xl looks great but I'm actually kind of scared of the Kingsong Tilt back. And as I'm getting better and better, my speed keeps improving and I'm afraid of hitting that tilt back point. I have it set to 29mph but if I'm going 29mph and it tilts me back I'll probably crash! 

 

The only off putting things about the NK+ so far is, it's top heavy, it wobbles, it has a smaller wheel.. (less stable)? No official seat. Trolly sucks. No kick stand.. wtf?! Why wasn't that a thing all wheels had since day #1. Lol 

 I hear a lot of good things as well. How easy is it to work on? Would you recommend it over an 18XL? will the 16" wheel make a big difference? How's QC.. I know Inmotion and KS are working hard to increase QC and set the standard. Hoes Gotway on that front? 

 

Kingsongs tiltback is NOTHING! Seriously man. I hit tiltback as a new rider gong thru a curve at top speed. DIdnt even know wtf it was. Even mid turn, it was no big deal. Hell, I could ride the KS tiltback if I wanted to. Im more worried about running over a frog than tiltback. WHy not set the speed lower on your s18 and give it a try? I'm confident enough that its the same as the 18XL. I'd do it on the s18 at max speed and not care at all. KS tiltback is a thing of beauty, just like the trolley handle.

Cons of the Nik.

1)its gotway

2)its gotway

3)its handle doesnt like to stay down

4)Its so wide its almost uncomfortable

5)Poor waterproofing and lastly...

6)Its Gotway!

Pros

1)beats walking

2)ShanesPads V2 fit on it

3)Faster than a KS, when it works

 

I mostly kid tho. I havent ridden but one of them for a short period in time. I just like to poke fun mostly. I did note that it was a bit wide and felt somewhat cumbersome to me, but thats because I just hopped off an 18XL. My sherman feels a bit wide too. The Nik is a great looking wheel, but me and gloss piano black are not even remotely friends. I've been around more than one, but havent bothered to ride but just the one. I dont like riding other peoples wheels much. They prolly feel the same about letting me.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Kingsongs tiltback is NOTHING! Seriously man. I hit tiltback as a new rider gong thru a curve at top speed. DIdnt even know wtf it was. Even mid turn, it was no big deal. Hell, I could ride the KS tiltback if I wanted to. Im more worried about running over a frog than tiltback. WHy not set the speed lower on your s18 and give it a try? I'm confident enough that its the same as the 18XL. I'd do it on the s18 at max speed and not care at all. KS tiltback is a thing of beauty, just like the trolley handle.

Cons of the Nik.

1)its gotway

2)its gotway

3)its handle doesnt like to stay down

4)Its so wide its almost uncomfortable

5)Poor waterproofing and lastly...

6)Its Gotway!

Pros

1)beats walking

2)ShanesPads V2 fit on it

3)Faster than a KS, when it works

 

I mostly kid tho. I havent ridden but one of them for a short period in time. I just like to poke fun mostly. I did note that it was a bit wide and felt somewhat cumbersome to me, but thats because I just hopped off an 18XL. My sherman feels a bit wide too. The Nik is a great looking wheel, but me and gloss piano black are not even remotely friends. I've been around more than one, but havent bothered to ride but just the one. I dont like riding other peoples wheels much. They prolly feel the same about letting me.

I mean it has a solid track record. I like a little big, my s18 is a rather large wheel. I tried a 16x and it was very small.. at least in comparison. I'll have fun with it for a while. I have the v12 on pre order. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2021 at 3:22 AM, No1up said:

Right now I'm loving my S18. Looking to add another wheel. Don't know of I should wait for the v12.. wait for a few years (I can). Or get a tried and true wheel. The 18xl looks great but I'm actually kind of scared of the Kingsong Tilt back. And as I'm getting better and better, my speed keeps improving and I'm afraid of hitting that tilt back point. I have it set to 29mph but if I'm going 29mph and it tilts me back I'll probably crash! 

 

The only off putting things about the NK+ so far is, it's top heavy, it wobbles, it has a smaller wheel.. (less stable)? No official seat. Trolly sucks. No kick stand.. wtf?! Why wasn't that a thing all wheels had since day #1. Lol 

 I hear a lot of good things as well. How easy is it to work on? Would you recommend it over an 18XL? will the 16" wheel make a big difference? How's QC.. I know Inmotion and KS are working hard to increase QC and set the standard. Hoes Gotway on that front? 

 

I don't think it is top heavy. It is heavy but then any wheel with that size battery will be at least as heavy as your S18. I tend to ride everywhere at a rather stately 25mph and it hasn't wobbled yet. Few wheels have an official seat or a kick stand though the Nik can be tilted back to rest on it's mud guard - it's supposed to be parked like this. I actually think the trolley handle is pretty good, I'm 6' 3" and it's easy to handle the wheel. The down side of the handle is it needs to be velcoed down in case of crashes and the screws sometimes get loose with time. The quality control is pretty good on the wheel and the waterproofing is excellent though I do find the rubber cap on the charge port does come off occasionally. The case is beautiful to look at, especially at night, but it scratches easily in crashes - I got a nice cover for it. The range and speed of the wheel is brilliant - it goes faster and further than I'll ever want to go. I doubt I'll ever open my one up but it looks very easy to work judging by the videos I've seen.

The real question is whether it's different enough for you. If you truly want to go far and fast then either a monster or a Sherman would be best but, if you want to have something that's still manoeuvrable and fast and has good range then the Nik+ wins, particularly the Nik AR+. The other option is to go the other way and get an MTen3.

I don't find the KS tilt back worrying, in fact I find it quite reassuring. As others have said just test it out by setting the top speed in the app to a slower speed. The main thing though is to be only gently accelerating when you approach your top speed. The tilt back will be much gentler and this is a safer approach to riding anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...