Today I learned how to fly...

SerpentineGX

Today is Monday, start of a new work week. I scoot to the train station on my wheel, all is good. I catch the shuttle to get close to my work. I get off and scoot away. I get to signal and go accross. Then I wait for the next light to turn green. When it turned green I scoot away then, as i'm leaning forward, my wheel seemed like it tilted forward and I go flying head first! I break the fall with my gloveless hands onto the rough concrete and turn and slide on my back (pack). It was probably one of the busiest times at that intersection too. I get up, brush myself off, grab my wheel, and look for my pride (which was nowhere to be found). I try to get back on my wheel but it was flashing red and beeping. I just walk it accross the street in shame. 

I don't know if I was over confident or my wheel failed on me? I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and am still thinking about it. My left palm looks nasty with dead blood under the skin. Not sure how my hip got bruised? Right elbow took a little hit as well as my left shoulder. My backpack is scuffed and my ego severly bruised. lol One of the padding on my wheel has road rash and will be replaced down the road. I'm still going to do the same routine but I'm getting gloves.

So that was my first spill and it was a good one.

Boooo!

It's amazing how it always happens at the most crowded places where the most people are watching you.

The worst is when some kindly soul says "Are you alright dear?"

Now if I'm at an intersection and there are people about I dismount and walk across even if the kerbs are dropped and easily manageable. :)

I figure it's better to look like I'm showing concern for safety when interacting with traffic than it is to make a fool of myself! :)

Today is Monday, start of a new work week. I scoot to the train station on my wheel, all is good. I catch the shuttle to get close to my work. I get off and scoot away. I get to signal and go accross. Then I wait for the next light to turn green. When it turned green I scoot away then, as i'm leaning forward, my wheel seemed like it tilted forward and I go flying head first! I break the fall with my gloveless hands onto the rough concrete and turn and slide on my back (pack). It was probably one of the busiest times at that intersection too. I get up, brush myself off, grab my wheel, and look for my pride (which was nowhere to be found). I try to get back on my wheel but it was flashing red and beeping. I just walk it accross the street in shame. 

I don't know if I was over confident or my wheel failed on me? I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and am still thinking about it. My left palm looks nasty with dead blood under the skin. Not sure how my hip got bruised? Right elbow took a little hit as well as my left shoulder. My backpack is scuffed and my ego severly bruised. lol One of the padding on my wheel has road rash and will be replaced down the road. I'm still going to do the same routine but I'm getting gloves.

So that was my first spill and it was a good one.

Boooo!

A new club member! Welcome!

I was very very lucky and did not kiss the concrete.

Hopefully you feel better and it does not hurt to much.

I had a lot of respect for the next weeks after this happen to me...still have.

It's amazing how it always happens at the most crowded places where the most people are watching you.

The worst is when some kindly soul says "Are you alright dear?"

Now if I'm at an intersection and there are people about I dismount and walk across even if the kerbs are dropped and easily manageable. :)

I figure it's better to look like I'm showing concern for safety when interacting with traffic than it is to make a fool of myself! :)

Yeah, it was just one of those things. I almost bought my laptop today but brought a USB stick that had my work on it instead. It probably wouldn't have survived the fall. If I heard "are you alright dear?" I probably would have put on my hoody and pulled the strings closed. lol All is good though. I just want to make sure my wheel is ok. 

A new club member! Welcome!

I was very very lucky and did not kiss the concrete.

Hopefully you feel better and it does not hurt to much.

I had a lot of respect for the next weeks after this happen to me...still have.

Thanks for the membership! lol You're lucky you were able to catch yourself instead of getting airbourne. There's nothing like being helpless in the air. lol My palm hurts pretty good but my ego hurts more. Respect the wheel! Respect the wheel! Respect the wheel... ;)

Sorry about the fall. Do you think it is anything to do with road bump? I learned even an inch difference make you fall sometime. 

The road was smooth enough, no cracks or anything. I was tilting forward then it was like someone used the "force", like a Jedi, and I went sailing. I still am not sure if it was operator error or wheel error? If it was an inch or so then I would have slowed down and hopped it (started hopping yesterday :D). I'm sure this isn't my last fall.  :o I'll just have to gear up better...and hope it's not in front of the morning rush hour traffic. lol

The only protective gear I wear is a helmet and fingerless biking gloves, but those gloves have already saved the palms of my hands a couple of times. 

You've got a Ninebot One? Was it pretty well charged? How "soft" do you have it set as far as responding to your motion?

The only protective gear I wear is a helmet and fingerless biking gloves, but those gloves have already saved the palms of my hands a couple of times. 

You've got a Ninebot One? Was it pretty well charged? How "soft" do you have it set as far as responding to your motion?

My wheel was about 95% charged. Still in the upper green. I have the setting set to 0 (0 = sensitive / 9 = sluggish). I'm getting those gloves for sure. 

hope you didn't hurt badly.So it is important to wear protection.Gloves is necessary.You should figure out what's wrong with your Ninebot.or it is a danger to you and may happen again.Hope you can recover soon.

I'm okay. Hand swelled up some. I need a band-aid for my ego, though. Yes, gloves are a must. When I raced BMX or when I freestyled on my bike(s) I had gloves for the same reason. Today was a reminder that the pavement is rough and hard.

My wheel seems okay. It has a few more scratches. The motor felt the same on my normal route. I rode it another 7 miles or so after work. 

Something similar happened to me I just crossed the road going at a slow pace but I think what happened to you and me is that leaning too fast forward and it didn't respond to it. Best learn how to fall forward or backward like a karate fighter, if you go down try not to have only once hand 'catch' you, that will be a broken arm, gloves a must. I need to reenact the situation on some type of gym mat to see if it's true...

Something similar happened to me I just crossed the road going at a slow pace but I think what happened to you and me is that leaning too fast forward and it didn't respond to it. Best learn how to fall forward or backward like a karate fighter, if you go down try not to have only once hand 'catch' you, that will be a broken arm, gloves a must. I need to reenact the situation on some type of gym mat to see if it's true...

I hear ya on tumbling. I envisioned a tumble move like a "free runner" and roll back to my feet. Reality was more like Humpty Dumpty. To get good at tumbling you have to do it everyday. It will need to become seconed nature as you have a split second to react. If you think about tumbling as you're going down then its too late. My gloves are on order.

What firmware do you have on your ninebot? You should update to 1.2.0 because the version before is known to have issues with the balancing, especcially when you weigh mor than 80 kg.

I have firmware 1.1.6. I just checked it and it says I'm up to date. I'll check again later and see if 1.2.0 is available. I'm about 80kg.

If you use Apple devices, you can't update yet, because of stricter policies for apps, the new Ninedroid app is not available in the appstore yet. I guess it is also because of the name "Ninedroid" which clearly hints to android. Not very clever of Ninebot...

The Andoid version of the app allows you to update the firmware, but beware: if you update it to 1.2.0 firmware, you can't connect with the "old" Apple app version. And it is not possible to downgrade the firmware version. Still a lot to do in the Ninebot Software department.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lads! Well, thanks for this brief information. I've already updated it to the latest firmware and now cannot connect to my Samsung S3 4.3 Jelly Bean, which also has the updated software... :/ *grrr*

So, that's it then, I guess. Have to wait months until the next app is out, don't I? :(

Archived