Sherman psi and rim - my experiences

Dominic Winsor

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ytmvo3u

I made this image / video post to show my experience with my Sherman as I ride it at my preferred 28psi (to my 220-230lbs rider weight).

I have a V1 Sherman with the original rim, and almost 900 miles of fun riding mainly in the forests. No issues so far. I don’t do kerbs or stairs. I ride 20-38mph  I set all my alarms to keep me below that speed. idk why - safety margin maybe. I just like cruising between those speeds.   

I tried 35psi but the wheel was bouncing off every little bump and particularly sketchy on hill climbs  

What are your experiences? I’d like to know. 

• Like 3

With the Kenda 262 I feel comfortable up to 30PSI, anything beyond that and it feels like you're riding a squirrely trampoline, so on the Sherman I rock 30PSI and on my MSP which has the same tire I rock 28PSI, both feels good in all type of scenarios, off-road, high speed, skateparks (only on MSP), stairs (only on MSP).

• Like 2

Offroad tire:

Sherman 28 PSI weight over 260 Lbs  with full gear + chargers etc almost 300 lbs. New rim  and no problem i do not ride any extreme or jumping sometime i ride down from small curb or jump on "small" curb. I respect my AXLE and ride carefuly. over 30Psi i feel sherman not confort ride. 

Maybee every pump is unique and my 28 psi can be yours 30 psi who knows i use digital Shaomi pump.

I start sherman on 33 PSI and slowly testing result to decrasing and find my sweet spot at 28 Psi.

30+ psi have beter control i agree but my knees hurt too mutch on higher PSI. On 28 PSI i can ride continuously over hour without knee pain.

I using nylonove adjustable XL foodplates/pedals  angle is set same like on my Nylonove(not adjustable) on MSP.

My speed limit is set to 43km/h (26 miles) 

• Like 1

You guys do run low pressures. As per Veterans manual recomended pressures is 2.5-3.0 ?pa? 

They muat have misspelled Bar, cause 3pascal is just 0, 0004 psi :D

But 2.5-3Bar means lowest recomended pressure is 36 psi.

People seem to have problems with cracking rims, I wonder how many ride with too low pressure to the point where the rim hits the edge of a curb (especially heavy riders).

Doing the final checka on my Sherman that arrived today. Dont think ill mind high pressure. I prefer high pressure on my Tesla (3.5+ Bar) for a more agile ride (even though it means more bend in the knee to prevent tired knees, but well see if Sherm is different

Edited by Boogieman

I'm inclined to think that higher pressures on the V2 rim is actually worse than low pressures, despite everyone shouting from the rooftops that you need to run 40+ psi or your rim will explode.

A higher pressure will transmit more bump force to the rim. It's not difficult to understand. I also get that going too low could allow a kerb edge to hit the rim, but I am not convinced that this is happening in all cases.

I run 23psi, and will continue to do so until I see any evidence that kerbs are getting dangerously close to my rim.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

You guys do run low pressures. As per Veterans manual recomended pressures is 2.5-3.0 ?pa? 

They muat have misspelled Bar, cause 3pascal is just 0, 0004 psi :D

But 2.5-3Bar means lowest recomended pressure is 36 psi.

People seem to have problems with cracking rims, I wonder how many ride with too low pressure to the point where the rim hits the edge of a curb (especially heavy riders).

Doing the final checka on my Sherman that arrived today. Dont think ill mind high pressure. I prefer high pressure on my Tesla (3.5+ Bar) for a more agile ride (even though it means more bend in the knee to prevent tired knees, but well see if Sherm is different

Different PSI's for different tires, the Knobby (Kenda 262) feels best at lower PSI.

Rims cracking is something wrong with the material, worst case metal should bend not crack and fall apart like that.

• Like 2