Gotway Pedal hanger question

Hey my dear fellows!

I have got a question: I want to upgrade the tire of my GW Nikola with some profile. So the place for the tire in the shell will be really tight. To prevent it from rubbing against the upper (not side) edges, I want to lift the shell a bit. My idea was to use shorter pedal hangers. In that way the pedals would be higher off the ground, which I would appreciate too. I do not mind the wheel getting unstable or wobbly...

Now for the question: which pedal hangers should I use? I found out that the Tesla1/2 and Nikola pedal hangers are the same. So it is for the pedal hangers of the MCM5. Maybe they are too short. But I would give it a try. Does anyone of You have some measurements? I would also drill some new holes in the pedal hangers, if they could bear it. But the shell would not be stable enough. For the MCM5 pedal hangers it would be important to be exactly as wide and thick as the ones of the Nik. They also have to be prominent enough.

Should I forget it?

8 hours ago, Boris Lämpel said:

Should I forget it?

Maybe.

I don’t know if some GW pedal brackets would be shorter but otherwise identical so that they would match the Nikola. But simply lifting the shell would not give any additional room front to back, so a tire with a larger diameter still wouldn’t fit.

Do you already have a specific tire in mind? I’m pretty sure that 60/100-12 knobby tires would fit the Nikola as is, without modifications. They do fit the 16X after all. If you don’t want to go all-in with a knobby, there are other 16”x3” tires to choose from as well. Ones that don’t require any modifications.

e48391517227_0d606a84ef_b.jpg

Probably it won´t work because of the gap for the axle nut. Either there or in the hole for the pedal hanger I would have to modify the inner shell...

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Do you already have a specific tire in mind? I’m pretty sure that 60/100-12 knobby tires would fit the Nikola as is, without modifications. They do fit the 16X after all. If you don’t want to go all-in with a knobby, there are other 16”x3” tires to choose from as well. Ones that don’t require any modifications.

I have got a motorcycle tire. It is a 12 - 3,00 inch tire. But realisticly it is a bit bigger. It is the Heidenau K57: https://www.akf-shop.de/simson-ersatzteile/reifen-schlaeuche/reifen/reifen-3-00-x-12-heidenau-k57/

10001510-01.jpg

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

60/100-12

That is my stopgap. These tires are a bit too small, I think. They would fit, but I want 80 mm :). Also with a hight of only 60mm (100% of 60mm) the Nikola would not be a 17" wheel any more but more like the Tesla :( ...

• Like 1

I have the K57 on another vehicle. I sure wouldn’t want to ride an EUC with a K57 in it… Steering would be very difficult, and it shakes annoyingly on flat ground.

7 hours ago, Boris Lämpel said:

but I want 80 mm :)

3” is 76mm, so you’d only have 4mm left for the thread on the side.

As you said:

7 hours ago, Boris Lämpel said:

But realisticly it is a bit bigger.

A 60/100 knobby is larger as well, since the motorcycle tire measures do not include the knobs or threads.

You could of course measure how wide the current tire is, and how much space there is in front and on the sides. That should give sone idea on what you might be able to fit in without mods.

• Like 1