Kingsong 16X collection of custom or altered 3D models.

ArieKanarie

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

After my vacation I attempted to recreate the shape of the smaller side pad.
First I made the cross section shape.
1624552255866.thumb.jpg.bdce05709d65923e18c39095a8234375.jpg

Then I combined it with the flat piece that I already had made in the previous post and got a nice 3D model out of it.
kneepad.PNG.b25f2eb00b2fb7148fc9ec7ebf06c1a8.PNG

Now, there's no clear way to print this piece because of the curve on the top surface, so I'm going to split it in half to test the fitment before I'm going to make adjustments to make it "printable" without (or with as least as possible) supports.

152608007_kneepadsplit.PNG.86578a6e396df9551d9577560f1b5878.PNG

I have also added the holes for the bigger side pads.
Idiot me forgot to add those, I remembered AFTER I printed all 4 parts...

2063537130_sidepadholes.thumb.PNG.8b83abceb0d8981d6023eb2ea87e6b8b.PNG

I will update again when the kneepads have been printed and fitted. Possibly also with printability adjustments and printed in TPE (flexible)

I love rapid prototyping.

Edited by ArieKanarie
Wrong images
  • Like 3

When you get these done I’ll buy a set from you! I’m trying to find a reasonable way to get a flat surface for mounting pads. And some way to give me easier access to the shell screws. Look to me like you’re making exactly what I need!

• Like 3

KS 16X is going to be my first EUC that I hope to be receiving shortly.  Are these cover plates just glued on?  Obviously not the best design when you need to change a tire or other maintenance.  Is there supposed some special technique to remove these cover pieces and reapply them?  Are they banking on you having to buy replacement cover plates every time you need to open your machine?

I can see there are many skilled designers on this forum creating 3D Printed accessories for EUCs.  I do not have any experience with 3D printers but do have CNC router experience.  For the parts designed by ArieKanarie I wonder if these parts could be machined on a 3 axis cnc router, if there are no undercuts?  Are the holes suppose to just allow access to the screws, or could these holes be used to hold on the cover plates if you got longer screws?

I have a concept of how custom parts might be created for EUCs that do not rely on 3D printers if you needed to make multiple duplicate parts.  One material I have used on cnc routers is machinable wax.  This material is able to hold amazing detail and accuracy.  If these designs were machined in wax, you could then potentially make a silicon mold of the part.  A mold could also be created from a 3D printed part, but the surface finish is not likely to be as good unless time is spend sanding and sealing the part well.   With a silicon mold it should be possible to cast multiples of the parts fairly quickly.  Having the ability to cast parts opens up the possibly of using lots of different materials from soft and rubbery to hard and strong carbon fiber infused epoxy.  

Edited by CarlW
  • Like 1

Another update!

I printed both halves and they fit perfectly (ignore the small gaps where the two halves meet because of warping).
Made some minor aesthetic changes and consider the model as complete.
IMG_20210625_091510111111.thumb.jpg.8ae99bc478a37b473981df6999a07998.jpg

IMG_20210624_234002.thumb.jpg.3b656b4c5880d280189023eb0a3f5f1b.jpg

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I’m trying to find a reasonable way to get a flat surface for mounting pads.

Well you are in luck because I made two variants of the kneepad to mainly make it very easy to 3d print and one of them (middle one) has the positive side effect of having a perfect surface to mount or stick extra pads to! I'm going to print the middle ones for my wheel because of the same reason.

Comparison.png.1ad739a1fd38c3e762c521778511ca9e.png

On the top you have the original model that fits perfectly, 99% copy of the real ones.

The middle one has the same contours on the bottom as the top version, but has the top side flattened out and a 50 degree chamfer on the left. It will print without supports this way and it will continue the flat side of the outer shells. Might be a little bit less comfortable on your legs because of the "sharp" 50 degree edge and it will stick out of the curves of the outer shell of course.

The bottom variant has the outer flat flaps slightly tilted. My idea was to heat up those flaps when printing with non-flexibles and then bend them down to make them align with the body again. Or when printing with flexible material you can just fold those flaps and the double sided tape will hold them. Downside of this version is that the top edge does not follow the curve of the outer shell that well and that might be visually displeasing. They will fall inwards below the curve.

3 hours ago, CarlW said:

Are these cover plates just glued on?

They are attached with horrible to remove double sided tape.
If you want to remove the shell and do not want to buy an extra set of original pricy side pads I would advise to find out where the holes are and punch holes through the original side pads.
I will also provide dxf files to use with CNC or lasercutters, but those could also be used to print out on paper to accurately find the holes if you overlay them on the original side pads.

The next update will be when I 3d print the kneepads in flexible material and/or when I laser cut the side pads out of some 1mm SBR rubber and have them sticked on.

P.S. I type a lot here because I like my stuff to be well documented. Also, this way people can learn about the process one could take to redesign/copy parts and the reasoning behind the different/extra design choices I'm making.

Edited by ArieKanarie

• ArieKanarie changed the title to Kingsong 16X collection of custom or altered 3D models.

I changed this topic to be used for all kinds of 3d models I make or alter as a small collection for everyone to find.

So here are two designs I altered.

16X LED support bracket.
Originally made by axento70 here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4819092
My revision that fixed some small design flaws, changed m3 nuts to Ruthex m3 inserts and also a stronger bracket without LED bar: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4893675
bracket.thumb.jpg.d4ac73bb5bf0050a32432395340e6a6b.jpgbracket2.thumb.jpg.dc005accce29b8f0f22ed3fb992bdf02.jpg

16X Pedal pusher/flipper.
Originally made by hjodr here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4575744
My revision that fixed some small design flaws and has different ribs so it can be printed on it's side without supports: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4893681
pedal2.thumb.jpg.51bc0e886a19103556ca21bccd99d1bc.jpgpedal1.thumb.jpg.002a9120a406b28ea4cfdcf22c0bc709.jpg

More designs will be added later

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Delayed update.
Took a little bit longer to work on these files due to some.... issues.
IMG_20210704_105238.thumb.jpg.9a16f95bc97b4a0e2a8e3572e2a256a1.jpg

BUT!
I have lasercut the side pads in 1mm thick SBR rubber, which should be wear-resistant.
Here's the video

They're attached with strong double sided carpet tape and the holes for the screws align very well.
Here's the result:
IMG_20210712_205901.thumb.jpg.a5425d232a206edc92deaa491ead029a.jpg

After a lot of riding I am going to replace the kneepads. The upper sharp ledge is too uncomfortable, as predicted.
I am going to re-print the "original" shape (white prints in posts above) but this time I will print with TPE.

After that I will attach velcro to the sides so I can stick on some 3D printed jumppads.
This will all be intensively tested at electric games this weekend!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, ArieKanarie said:

Delayed update.
Took a little bit longer to work on these files due to some.... issues.
IMG_20210704_105238.thumb.jpg.9a16f95bc97b4a0e2a8e3572e2a256a1.jpg

BUT!
I have lasercut the side pads in 1mm thick SBR rubber, which should be wear-resistant.
Here's the video

They're attached with strong double sided carpet tape and the holes for the screws align very well.
Here's the result:
IMG_20210712_205901.thumb.jpg.a5425d232a206edc92deaa491ead029a.jpg

After a lot of riding I am going to replace the kneepads. The upper sharp ledge is too uncomfortable, as predicted.
I am going to re-print the "original" shape (white prints in posts above) but this time I will print with TPE.

After that I will attach velcro to the sides so I can stick on some 3D printed jumppads.
This will all be intensively tested at electric games this weekend!

That is freaking Awesome! This would be very helpful for 16x owners who want to try different styles of 3rd party pads. Thank you for your efforts and sharing it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I've seen blown fuses, but not blown up fuses! I'm hoping you're alright.

Yeah I'm fine, thanks for asking. The fall wasn't that hard. 16X is fine now, I just had to replace the fuses and their holders.

• Like 3

Wow! Thank you so much @ArieKanarie! There was a time when I travelled to The Netherlands frequently and I could have asked you to print me a set, but that time is past so now I'm going to lean on local resources. This is so excellent! @Brendan "nog3" Halliday will be very interested as well, you should see how he's pimped his ride (his LEDs are spectacular)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was busy designing a new rear light in the rear cover where the "subwoofer" is located but that will have to wait unfortunately.

My 16X has been confiscated by the police because it's still illegal here.
Already started the lengthy process of trying to get it back.
Will probably take 6 to 12 months before I get a reaction on my appeal.

• Sad 5

28 minutes ago, ArieKanarie said:

My 16X has been confiscated by the police because it's still illegal here.
Already started the lengthy process of trying to get it back.
Will probably take 6 to 12 months before I get a reaction on my appeal.

Day light robbery right there. Plain and simple.

I also could "dress" up, show some fake badge and take a free euc home. :D So dumb. As always, police has nothing better to do..

Would love to hear how it happened. Where did you ride that moment, when police stopped you? With cars, or on pavement with people?

If i saw police and knew it was "illegal" to ride one. I simply would take a detour avoiding them, or simply go where police could not follow me.. "Ohh sorry, i didn't notice you guy's" :whistling:

On 5/20/2022 at 7:40 PM, Funky said:

Day light robbery right there. Plain and simple.

I also could "dress" up, show some fake badge and take a free euc home. :D So dumb. As always, police has nothing better to do..

Would love to hear how it happened. Where did you ride that moment, when police stopped you? With cars, or on pavement with people?

If i saw police and knew it was "illegal" to ride one. I simply would take a detour avoiding them, or simply go where police could not follow me.. "Ohh sorry, i didn't notice you guy's" :whistling:

I came around a corner and there they were, heading towards me.
No chance for me to make a "sudden change of direction".
They drove onto my side of the road, gesturing me to stop and move over.
They left their car on the road causing all traffic to be backed up (EUCs are small and wouldn't cause traffic when stopped on the road).

First thing he asked was "Do you have your ID on you?" No introductions, no reason why I was stopped.
I saw that his colleague had more stripes on her shoulder than he did so I knew right there that there was no way that I would leave with my EUC on my side, the guy would want to prove himself to his higher ranking colleague. Like they mostly do in these situations.

Told him I was stopped before on a different vehicle (Onewheel XR) and that I was supposed to get a warning or fine now.
The law here is that you get a warning or fine the first time you get stopped and they'll confiscate it the next time.
But the "counter" resets if you're using a different vehicle. I have proof of this with case numbers from someone else in my country.

Well, the description of the previous stop was "monowheel" instead of Onewheel XR so he said that it was the same thing.
Even though the other cops made pictures the last time and I showed him the video that I took back then, he wouldn't budge: It was the same vehicle (He must be blind or something).
He called the public prosecutor (officier van justitie) and even told that person that it was the same vehicle.
When he hung up he told me he was going to take it from me.

I received no receipt of him taking it from me, which has all information required to fight the confiscation.
Went to police station, closed unless you have an appointment.
Went to my provinces main police station 20km further away, they told me it wasn't mandatory to get a receipt and that they couldn't reverse the confiscation even with my proof. Got a (partial) case number form them and they told me I had to call the prosecutors office.

Called the prosecutors office, they told me that the receipt IS mandatory, "how else would you know how to fight your case?"
Got the full case number and was told I had to file a complaint addressed to the courthouse.
So I did.

Called a week later to ask if they received the complaint (because I hadn't heard anything yet) and was told that they had received it but also that I did it wrong because I had to send a complaint to the public prosecutor first (The ones that told me I had to send it to the courthouse)
So first I had to send a letter to the courthouse telling them that I wanted to retract my complaint, They couldn't do it over the phone while I already had them on the line.
Then I had to send a new letter to the public prosecutor with the same complaint.
So I did.

Still  haven't heard anything as of yet. Nothing at all since the day it was confiscated, really.
It infuriates me so much that a system that has been in place for over decades doesn't have a single process on how to do this. They all have a different story.
I am very scared that my complaints don't reach the right place on time and that they decide to destroy my 16X (a.k.a. sell it on auction for profit) while it was all an unlawful confiscation done by some cop that couldn't accept that someone not in law enforcement knew something better.

I'm glad though, that this shitty situation is "only" for a 16X that I got for cheap, not something health related or something with a bigger financial impact.
But it does worry me that stuff like this happens to other people that can't handle smaller financial hits like this. Like taxi drivers losing their car and license (and thus their jobs) because the police set a speedtrap on an unlawful location.

Edited by ArieKanarie

37 minutes ago, ArieKanarie said:

They left their car on the road causing all traffic to be backed up (EUCs are small and wouldn't cause traffic when stopped on the road).

First thing he asked was "Do you have your ID on you?" No introductions, no reason why I was stopped.
I saw that his colleague had more stripes on her shoulder than he did so I knew right there that there was no way that I would leave with my EUC on my side, the guy would want to prove himself to his higher ranking colleague. Like they mostly do in these situations.

Told him I was stopped before on a different vehicle (Onewheel XR) and that I was supposed to get a warning or fine now.
The law here is that you get a warning or fine the first time you get stopped and they'll confiscate it the next time.
But the "counter" resets if you're using a different vehicle. I have proof of this with case numbers from someone else in my country.

Well, the description of the previous stop was "monowheel" instead of Onewheel XR so he said that it was the same thing.
Even though the other cops made pictures the last time and I showed him the video that I took back then, he wouldn't budge: It was the same vehicle (He must be blind or something).
He called the public prosecutor (officier van justitie) and even told that person that it was the same vehicle.

I received no receipt of him taking it from me, which has all information required to fight the confiscation.
Went to my provinces main police station 20km further away, they told me it wasn't mandatory to get a receipt and that they couldn't reverse the confiscation even with my proof. Got a (partial) case number form them and they told me I had to call the prosecutors office.

Called the prosecutors office, they told me that the receipt IS mandatory, "how else would you know how to fight your case?"
Got the full case number and was told I had to file a complaint addressed to the courthouse.
So I did.

Called a week later to ask if they received the complaint (because I hadn't heard anything yet) and was told that they had received it but also that I did it wrong because I had to send a complaint to the public prosecutor first (The ones that told me I had to send it to the courthouse)
So first I had to send a letter to the courthouse telling them that I wanted to retract my complaint, They couldn't do it over the phone while I already had them on the line.
Then I had to send a new letter to the public prosecutor with the same complaint.
So I did.

Still  haven't heard anything as of yet. Nothing at all since the day it was confiscated, really.
It infuriates me so much that a system that has been in place for over decades doesn't have a single process on how to do this. They all have a different story.
I am very scared that my complaints don't reach the right place on time and that they decide to destroy my 16X (a.k.a. sell it on auction for profit) while it was all an unlawful confiscation done by some cop that couldn't accept that someone not in law enforcement knew something better.

I'm glad though, that this shitty situation is "only" for a 16X that I got for cheap, not something health related or something with a bigger financial impact.
But it does worry me that stuff like this happens to other people that can't handle smaller financial hits like this. Like taxi drivers losing their car and license (and thus their jobs) because the police set a speedtrap on an unlawful location.

This reminds me of this: (bad quality, sorry ;-) )

2 hours ago, ArieKanarie said:

So I did.

So I did.

You know you could "fight" this in court.. You have solid 3 points where system/cops failed. They didn't give any papers that they "took" it.. First wrong move from cops.. (How the heck can man get his property back, if he doesn't know where it is..) As you said first stop was on XR Onewheel. If cop really took photos etc..(They should have those photos in case folder..) There's your second case that cops again failed. As euc is completely different pev. As you said first should be warning or fine, as it's different vehicle. - not confiscation. And 3rd case how they don't know anything, about anything.. How system works, etc. Making you go on wild goose chase. There you have 3 points.. 

Also - By chance did you buy it in your country? Where it's technically illegal? And are those shops still open? < There's 4rth point that really could hurt the system/cops.. As they allow to sell illegal items for "unknowing" costumers. Aka i just bought it and simply use it.. WhY WoUlD ThEy seLL an illegal item to MeEe?

Oh and by taking your euc technically cops broke their own rules/law.. < Whole case should be broken just by that. If you really didn't have been stooped on euc before, but on XR..

Could think some more point's for case. But these was easy/fast ones.

Oh and don't count on them calling - you.. If you want your 16X back - YOU need to call/bug them.. Or say goodbye to your 16X.

They 99% don't care about your problems. They will sell, or destroy your 16X, before letting it go back to you. < I guarantee that.

Technically - you could buy new euc after each stop.. (As it technically isn't the same vehicle also "serial number", when they take photos at "first" stop, they should also record serial number.. After first stop sell and buy new - there you have different vehicle. - Easy way to beat DUMB system. Because technically it is different euc.)

Hmm, should i become a lawyer..? :huh::D 

Edited by Funky