Super excited for my wheel to arrive!

FlyingWigs

Learning can be sometimes frustrating, don't give up and you'll be greatly rewarded. It took me 2 weeks to be able to ride in town. Some youngsters, got it in 10 minutes, on my wheel, just in front of me... But now I ride a Gotway MSP HS just after a Ninebot One E+ with ease after 20 km and Oh My Gosh, this is awesome !!

Take your time to learn and have strong basics skill at low speed, then you'll be all fine.

Welcome to EUC World !! Enjoy and Have Fun !!

• Like 2

50 yo rusty man: 100 km to be OK, 100 more to feel comfortable -with zero help from anyone.
14 yo girl: 1h and that's it.

So for sure you'll succeed!
As previously said Welcome to EUC World !! Enjoy and Have Fun !!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FlyingWigs said:

I'm 35, and still do things like snowboarding, I get the feeling this is somewhere between skiing and riding a wheelie in a wheelchair (which I have many hours of practice lol)

Im in low 40's. I also did a lot of those activities. Its with GREAT pleasure that I tell you. Riding an euc is unlike ANY other sports. Snowboard, rollerblade, motorcycles, skateboards...   its a entirely unique experience. Much fun!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

You'll be amused to find out that your many hours of wheelies on a wheel chair will do jack in helping you learn to ride. The main focus of muscle entrainment will be on your feet and legs. You will slowly build up the muscle memory that will eventually get you confidence on the wheel. You can start practicing balance by standing on one foot while extending your other leg out in front of you as far and high as you can with out losing balance then extend your leg back all while on one foot. Do this several times without losing balance and switch legs. This exercise helped my son (21 YO) learn to ride in just under 15 mins. I was so jealous as it took me at least a total of 8 hrs before I could stay on and ride. Turning was yet another challenge. :mellow:

Just keep at it and remember to keep your training lessons short, plenty of sleep in between and have fun doing it.

Well, after about an hour total, I was doing laps in my shop, pinballing at first, but by the end I was able to get a couple of circuits without hopping off or about to hit something. The videos that teach you to go between two points that you can grab on were very good in my case. I am starting to get better at turning where I want, but I am not able to mount without something to grab.

Also, speed (a little of it) really helps me stay up, slow balancing will just frustrate you!! I really like launching from a shelf or rack to get a good clip to get going! 

Already sore, going to take a nap! :lol:

• Like 2

I did manage to get up in an open area a few times at the park yesterday evening, still not great at the first few feet as I'm accelerating. That's the main reason I think I was holding on to things, if I get a little back and forth motion I'm starting with the wheel faster than from zero. 

I did figure out that the tire was not seated properly and part of the bead was too far into the rim making a low spot. I'll try to get that sorted as I think it was contributing to wobbles. 

SO MUCH FUN!! I'm surprised that I am already able to ride in a somewhat controlled manner, a tennis court was a great place to zip around, slalom between the nets, try to go in circles and tighten the turns, different things I'd heard from the many videos for beginners. 

Thank you all as well for your comments! 

• Like 2

A little caution.  In the first six months to a year, as your skills improve, you will naturally want to push and see what you can do.  Like let see how fast I can go.

I've been riding for about 5 years.  I've had several face plant and lots of crashes all within the 6 months to a year.  Face plants is a hard lesson to learn and I don't want to ever experience it again and have not had one in the last 4 years.  Also because I don't enjoy going fast and is happy with 15-18mph peak as I do not wear safety gear.  Generally I ride under 15mph.

Like all of us, the honey moon stage is super exciting and you don't really care or think about the consequences.  So becareful as you begin your let's see what I can do.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CaptainKBLS said:

A little caution.  In the first six months to a year, as your skills improve, you will naturally want to push and see what you can do.  Like let see how fast I can go.

Absolutely spot on. I have been through the same situation although luckily I haven't had any crashes (yet). My speed rose from the V5F to the Z10 to the 84v MSX then the 100v MSX and all I wanted to do was go faster. Now that I have hit the beeps on the 100v it feels like its actually out of my system now, and I am actively reducing my speed, preferring to cruise rather than being on some mission to hit the beeps several times every ride. I mainly calmed down just to present EUC's better to the public but it has the nice side effect of potentially reducing injury should the worst happen.

It's a good day when you return home without injury or mishap, I want to keep it that way. It's just about distance rides for me now.

• Like 3

Oh yes, I was not allowed to get this machine without safety gear and I absolutely think it is fast enough to be learning on! 

I'm taking opportunities for a short ride when I can, coffee break and lunch, but I can see where I need to work on things like low speed balancing and turning left without dipping. I'm starting to get a hold of mounting in the open though. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FlyingWigs said:

Oh yes, I was not allowed to get this machine without safety gear and I absolutely think it is fast enough to be learning on! 

I'm taking opportunities for a short ride when I can, coffee break and lunch, but I can see where I need to work on things like low speed balancing and turning left without dipping. I'm starting to get a hold of mounting in the open though. 

Knock on wood and hope it never happens, but i honestly believe a huge benefit of a learner wheel is getting past your first overlean on a slower device. Almost every rider is going to do it at least once, and you can only hope it happens on a weaker machine. Just the ultimate lesson on respecting the capabilities of these machines comes from hitting the ground and understanding why you hit the ground. 

Ive been fortune to only overlean 2 wheels, both of which where very weak. A ninebot c and a glide3/V8. Granted some opt to just go for the sherman and skip that process altogether 🤣 but i still think having a cutout/overlean is a fundamental riding lesson to learn from 

• Like 3