Spare Battery

Norwich Girl

Hi All,
Apologies if this topic has been covered before, I searched but couldn't find anything. I have an Airwheel X8 (800) which I love. My friend Cecily has now bought a Solowheel (which is 1800). Problem is, now when we go out together she can go further km's than me (and faster but that's not the issue here).
I cant afford a Solowheel or any other wheel just now so am looking to get an additional battery for my Airwheel.

Can anyone recommend where I could get one? Obviously looked online but very worried about ordering from a site I don't know. Don't want the battery to catch fire or ruin my wheel. Im after a 'safe' good quality battery.

Could anyone point me to a video of how to use a 'spare' battery with a wheel? I'm pretty naive and need to learn if this is possible/advisable/do-able...

Thanks in anticipation....p.s. I'm a girl so don't get too technical on me ;-)

3 hours ago, Norwich Girl said:

Can anyone recommend where I could get one? Obviously looked online but very worried about ordering from a site I don't know. Don't want the battery to catch fire or ruin my wheel. Im after a 'safe' good quality battery.

Could anyone point me to a video of how to use a 'spare' battery with a wheel? I'm pretty naive and need to learn if this is possible/advisable/do-able...

Thanks in anticipation....p.s. I'm a girl so don't get too technical on me ;-)

Don't know much about external spare batteries, but if you feel up to swapping the one inside the wheel, @1RadWerkstatt builds custom batteries for the wheels from high quality cells and parts. They're located in Germany, so don't know if the shipping is an issue or not, and how much it would cost. But from what I've seen, they do quality work and you get what you pay for. They'll probably already know the connectors and dimensions for X8's, so all that's left for you is to open up the battery compartment, disconnect a couple of connectors, take the old pack out, put the new one in and connect the connectors.

Maybe some e-bike shop who builds custom batteries could do the battery for you too, just make sure they spot-weld the connections and don't just solder them (so they won't come off with vibration, bumps or crashes).

Here's an example of 1RadWerkstatt custom-pack, they've built these 414Wh (16S2P "double pack", that's gives you about 2.5-3 times longer ride and is capable of giving roughly twice more power than the original 132/174Wh 16S1P "single pack") for Airwheels. Probably they can do smaller too on-demand. Sorry about the messed up layout, I copy-pasted the below directly from their FB-page.

1rad workshop added 3 new photos to the album:Airwheel 414Wh Battery.
July 31 ·

1rad workshop's photo.
1rad workshop's photo.
1rad workshop's photo.
Udo Hainthaler and Rudolf Franz Schwarz like this.
Comments
Robert Hirsch

Robert Hirsch What Cost?

1rad workshop

1rad workshop 1RadWerkstatt@gmx.de

Christoph Kovacsics

Christoph Kovacsics X3?

1rad workshop

1rad workshop X3, X8 or other X Series

@Norwich Girl , this might not fit your jaunt style, but there is always the choice of packing the charger in a pocket and stopping for an spell to get a beverage and recharge. With my first wheel, a TGT3, I brought my charger everywhere to be sure I could get back home awheelin' not awalkin'.

Many of the lads riding an Aiwheel here are just using an external battery pack. The battery is inside a pouch which is attached to the trolleyhandle and connected to the charger port by a short cable. I have no idea if that is good or bad for the build in battery lifecycle. However its a popular solution overhere and one can buy these external packs at numerous retailers. One example is here:

http://www.passiongadgets.com/x3-external-portable-battery-charger.html

I believe they are shipping overseas and I am pretty sure they are selling decent quality only. And no I am not in any way associated to the company!

Archived