How to waterproof your wheel - reverse engineering EcoDrift's waterproofing

Wise Rides

On 3/16/2021 at 8:52 AM, Wise Rides said:

Check out this waterproofing job from EcoDrift out of Russia.  Pretty amazing how much of the white compound they are using.  I would love to know what it is, along with what grease, sealant and varnish they're using.

Lol... watching only the first minute of the video already made me crazy! :laughbounce2:

7 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Wise Rides Feel free to post that great info in a separate topic about waterproofing! You're casting pearls before swine if you hide this fantastic information in this 140+ page megatopic.

We can also move your post into its own separate topic if you like.

Yes, please move it to a separate post on waterproofing.  Obviously, this is specific to the v11, but the materials and methods are applicable to any wheel.

6 hours ago, z3n said:

Lol... watching only the first minute of the video already made me crazy! :laughbounce2:

I know, but it's great for seeing what they're doing!

• Like 2

On 3/16/2021 at 2:52 AM, Wise Rides said:

Check out this waterproofing job from EcoDrift out of Russia.  Pretty amazing how much of the white compound they are using.  I would love to know what it is, along with what grease, sealant and varnish they're using.

impressive

That wheel is never coming apart again! Not easily anyway. I'd be concerned about the sealant having an insulating effect on some of the electrical components that need air to cool properly. While I agree that our wheels should have better resistance to the ingress of water, I think that might be a bit overkill.

I don't think you should seal the outer battery covers.  You need to take them off to change the tire.  Maybe a rubber or TPU gasket could be printed for that part.   

For the batteries, only a light bead of silicone sealant around the inside of the battery case is necessary.  You don't need to open the open up the case unless you're curious to see what the batteries look like or to inspect the battery control board.  That way, even if moisture made it through the outer shell, it won't make it's way to the batteries themselves.

I am not so sure I would be too quick to do this to entire procedure to my wheel unless I was planning to take a swim with it. 

I would imagine this voids any warranty. So if you need anything replaced on the wheel for a failure other than water ingress you are prob screwed. 

They did an excellent job water proofing. Just seems a bit over the top for riding a wheel in some rain etc. I dont expect many people to need to submerge their wheel in water. 

There are some parts of this though that may be worth it to do. 

On 3/24/2021 at 3:01 AM, Mantraguy said:

I'd be concerned about the sealant having an insulating effect on some of the electrical components that need air to cool properly.

They say they are using a sealant with increased thermal conductivity so that cooling is improved. However, they do not specify whether it is improved as compared to using an inferior (thermally) sealant or compared to an unmodded wheel.

(I speak Russian but I am not connected to ecodrift in any way)

Some conforming compound has thermal conductive properties, so that makes sense.  However, I'm going to use weather stripping around the battery compartment instead.  This should provide a layer of dust and water protection while also giving me the ability to take the wheel apart in the future. 

I plan to document my saga with a video (or two).  It won't be as involved as Ecodrift's procedure, but should still be effective.  My primary concern is for the bearings.  I will remove them and repack with a high-grade marine grease (corrossionX) as well as install a seal I found on Thingaverse.  If it goes well then I expect trouble free bearing for a good period of time even if the wheel gets caught in the rain or drives on wet roads. 

Keeping my fingers crossed, I have high hopes for the v11.  Despite the bearings, it's appears to be a great wheel.